The Student Room Group

Medical Schools through clearing?

I'm just preparing myself for the worst here. If I don't make my AAA offer for med school, are there any that will accept an AAB candidate through clearing? I highly doubt it, but just thought I'd ask to be on the safe side.
Reply 1
Keele?
Reply 2
It's incredibly unlikely.

There are very occasional stories of people getting in on results day, but they are far more likely to be: -
1) People who missed their offer but universities decided to take them anyway.
2) People who were on a waiting list and who achieved AAA or better
3) People who got fantastic A-level grades and got very VERY lucky phoning up on the day.

Given how many people get AAA and do not get into medicine, calling around on results day with AAB is really unlikely to succeed. Not saying you can't give it a shot, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Reply 3
I'm not sure if any medical school participates in the clearing.
You already have an offer? I think this improves your chances, if you miss it by a few UMS they might be prepared to take you. Newcastle emailed me after my medicine offer saying they would be lenient on exam results, they didn't qualify what "lenient" stretches to though! After sitting that edexcel C3 paper they i might just need that :smile: good luck for getting 3As, what subject are you worrying about?
Reply 5
Original post by PeanutButter2000
You already have an offer? I think this improves your chances, if you miss it by a few UMS they might be prepared to take you. Newcastle emailed me after my medicine offer saying they would be lenient on exam results, they didn't qualify what "lenient" stretches to though! After sitting that edexcel C3 paper they i might just need that :smile: good luck for getting 3As, what subject are you worrying about?

Ah wow that's kind of them! They must really want you haha. It's chemistry, my ISA was terrible this year and I feel it may bring down my overall grade. I heard that C3 paper was dreadful, pretty glad I don't do maths anymore! (but you can hope for low(er) grade boundaries I guess)
Reply 6
Original post by bluemax
I'm not sure if any medical school participates in the clearing.
Yeah that's what I fear.

Original post by Helenia
It's incredibly unlikely.

There are very occasional stories of people getting in on results day, but they are far more likely to be: -
1) People who missed their offer but universities decided to take them anyway.
2) People who were on a waiting list and who achieved AAA or better
3) People who got fantastic A-level grades and got very VERY lucky phoning up on the day.

Given how many people get AAA and do not get into medicine, calling around on results day with AAB is really unlikely to succeed. Not saying you can't give it a shot, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Yeah, no harm in trying I guess! Thanks

Original post by SR255
Keele?
Hm, I'll do some research.
(edited 10 years ago)
While on this subject, out of curiosity...

If say someone had an offer for a different subject of A*AA but failed that offer getting AAA could they, in theory get into a medical school on clearing if they wish?

Medicine isn't for me but I know a few in the same boat who's had the thought crossed there mind.
Reply 8
Original post by Med_me
I'm just preparing myself for the worst here. If I don't make my AAA offer for med school, are there any that will accept an AAB candidate through clearing? I highly doubt it, but just thought I'd ask to be on the safe side.

where do you have your offer from?
Reply 9
At my school last year, I think one person got into medical school through clearing, but it was the standard offer of AAA. Unfortunately because the course is in such high demand, it doesn't seem likely that they would lower the grade requirements to AAB. Although if you do end up in the situation you could ring up the university and the may still consider you depending on how close you were to an A?
Although hope you don't end up in such a situation! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by bluemax
where do you have your offer from?
Manchester
Reply 11
Original post by im7
At my school last year, I think one person got into medical school through clearing, but it was the standard offer of AAA. Unfortunately because the course is in such high demand, it doesn't seem likely that they would lower the grade requirements to AAB. Although if you do end up in the situation you could ring up the university and the may still consider you depending on how close you were to an A?
Although hope you don't end up in such a situation! :smile:
Yeah, I hope I don't either! I'll call and beg them down the phone haha
Reply 12
Original post by Alex Bampton
While on this subject, out of curiosity...

If say someone had an offer for a different subject of A*AA but failed that offer getting AAA could they, in theory get into a medical school on clearing if they wish?

Medicine isn't for me but I know a few in the same boat who's had the thought crossed there mind.

Probably not- they'd have to be interviewed and have other stuff like a valid UKCAT/BMAT score (if applicable). While I've heard of people being interviewed after results day, I think they were on a waiting list or something- ie they'd already applied that year.

Also, given the extreme competitiveness of medicine, I doubt that any medical school would let someone who just rang up in- they'll have hundreds, maybe even thousands of rejected candidates that they could, if they even had a space on their course, choose from instead.
Original post by Med_me

As Helenia says, it is unlikely. To her list I would add people who were capable of getting AAA+ but didn't due to extenuating circumstances.

If a med school has not recruited enough students after conditional offers have been resolved, they can offer spare places to unsuccessful candidates. But these will often be students who met all the conditions (incl achieving AAA+) but weren't high enough up the rankings after interviews, and didn't get conditional offers.

A few uni's allow a small amount of latitude for students to resit after Y13, but they are pretty strict about it... see wiki article on resit policies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending