The Student Room Group

Is Oxford and Cambridge really that special for medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
There is also data from some other specialities if anyone's interested - results are broadly similar to those from the MRCP. Generally 98-2008 data.

GP
O&G
Anaesthetics

GP one's not surprising I talked to a doctor on my WE that said Nottingham used focus of GP training rather than other specialties
In my opinion, Oxbridge is overrated for Medicine, 3 years without any patient contact is horrible.
It should be 1 year without patient contact like traditional London Med schools, never mind that, for traditional British Med Schools.
Even if I get 900 in the UKCAT, and something like 5A*s in A-Levels, I am NOT applying to Oxbridge (for other degrees I most definitely would choose Oxbridge, but not for Medicine).
Reply 22
Original post by Tigger Pwns
In my opinion, Oxbridge is overrated for Medicine, 3 years without any patient contact is horrible.
It should be 1 year without patient contact like traditional London Med schools, never mind that, for traditional British Med Schools.
Even if I get 900 in the UKCAT, and something like 5A*s in A-Levels, I am NOT applying to Oxbridge (for other degrees I most definitely would choose Oxbridge, but not for Medicine).
Getting 900 in the UKCAT won't help you one little bit in getting into Oxbridge anyway.
Reply 23
I met someone on my Birmingham interview day who had an offer from Cambridge, but he wasn't sure he wanted to take it. He found that when he went to Cambridge it wasn't the sort of course or style of teaching that he wanted to do. The main thing with Medicine is that every Medical School is good, and career prospects in every single one is the same. At the end of the day, the course is what you have to concentrate on - if you like Oxbridge and you're good enough, then go for it, but if you don't like the course then it's not worth applying there just for the reputation.
I'd say they are quite special places yes. Just not necessarily for career reasons!

I don't think clinical contact is not significantly different to other schools. It just doesn't happen until 4th year.

Because of how you've phrased that, it is not true. Oxford grads had the highest average points score for F1 applications this year. MRCP/equiv' pass rates are much higher. There's a good deal of over-representation in senior posts.

Whether that's a correlation with Oxbridge rather than caused by Oxbridge is rather less clear. I would not go around advising people to apply to Oxbridge for career reasons, certainly.

Unless you meant purely in terms of chance of getting an FY1 place, in which case clearly every school is circa 100%

Where did you get/see the average FY1 score data?

(Not because I doubt you btw, it's well known that being forced to intercalate gives you an advantage, and doing so at Oxbridge gives you a good chance for publication)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends what you want to do after as well. If you're certain you want to be a doctor then it doesn't really matter which med school you go to, but if you're considering something along the line of research after your degree, then oxbridge is the best road to go down.
There is also data from some other specialities if anyone's interested - results are broadly similar to those from the MRCP. Generally 98-2008 data.

GP
O&G
Anaesthetics

It's a shame none of these studies include any of the new medical schools.

It would be very interesting to see how they are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by carcinoma
Where did you get/see the average FY1 score data?

(Not because I doubt you btw, it's well known that being forced to intercalate gives you an advantage, and doing so at Oxbridge gives you a good chance for publication)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was data given to us in a lecture on FY1 applications, so i'm afraid i can't provide a reference. I only remember Oxford (score 84), Cambridge and UCL being the top 3, and most figures were in the 70s. Don't think any school was below 70 (?).
(edited 10 years ago)
It was data given to us in a lecture on FY1 applications, so i'm afraid i can't provide a reference. I only remember Oxford (score 84), Cambridge and UCL being the top 3, and most figures were in the 70s. Don't think any school was below 70 (?).

Sweet. I knew imperial averaged at 81, but I don't know it it was new data with the SJT or last years.

I don't think any school could have averaged lower. As the cut off to be on reserve was in the high 60s IIRC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our average was around 75-77 I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just getting into any med school is special, Whether its oxbridge, imperial or warwick.
Original post by Tigger Pwns

How can you definitively say that they're overrated, when you haven't studied medicine there? Plus you're acting as if you're doing the med schools you are applying to a massive favour... And a high UKCAT score would be irrelevant for applying to Oxford/Cambridge, since they use the BMAT :smile:
To be honest its just personal preference. I personally love the idea of the 3 pre-clinical years, as I would rather know as much as possible before going anywhere near a patient, whereas for some people that would be hell. Then there's the matter of pbl or traditional (I like traditional). Oxford is an amazing university overall but when it comes to medicine, they're all pretty different, so it comes down to which teaching style suits you best.
Medicine is so competitive, its an achievement getting into any medical school :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flobie
To be honest its just personal preference. I personally love the idea of the 3 pre-clinical years, as I would rather know as much as possible before going anywhere near a patient, whereas for some people that would be hell. Then there's the matter of pbl or traditional (I like traditional). Oxford is an amazing university overall but when it comes to medicine, they're all pretty different, so it comes down to which teaching style suits you best.
Medicine is so competitive, its an achievement getting into any medical school :smile: ]

It comes down to two years pre-clinical and an intercalated degree, in reality. As the third year isn't really covering a breadth of content, it covers a specific area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending