The Student Room Group

52mph in 30 zone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sabian92
More annoying than the other cars you are stuck in traffic with? What makes a bike more irritating than a car? More irritating than scooters than can only do 30mph (which is SLOWER than you can go on a bike?) You realise if everybody who rides a bike drove a car you'd be even worse off? What about old people on mobility scooters (and yes, you can use them on the road)? They can do EIGHT mph. I can ride 3 times faster than that yet I'm more irritating? Get real.

I suppose you rant about "those bloody cyclists don't pay road tax hurr durr" and you pass with a foot of room as well, don't you?

Why don't you do that on inclines? Seems to be where the most bottlenecks are with cyclists. You also tend to veer off into the middle of the lane now and again making it difficult to predict when it's safe to pass - if I touch you, it's my fault.
Original post by SR255
I regularly destroy the local speed limits often in full view of a passing or parked police car. My medals include 43mph in a 30 mph zone, 40 mph in a 20 mph zone and my personal favorite, 33 mph in a 12 mph zone.

Spoiler

I was about to thumb you down there... 43 on a bike? what, is it a velomobile or something? :tongue:
More annoying than the other cars you are stuck in traffic with? What makes a bike more irritating than a car? More irritating than scooters than can only do 30mph (which is SLOWER than you can go on a bike?) You realise if everybody who rides a bike drove a car you'd be even worse off? What about old people on mobility scooters (and yes, you can use them on the road)? They can do EIGHT mph. I can ride 3 times faster than that yet I'm more irritating? Get real.

I suppose you rant about "those bloody cyclists don't pay road tax hurr durr" and you pass with a foot of room as well, don't you?

Because in reality bikes go 10 mph on a 40 road and you have to dangerously slow down. I know someone with a scooter, they have no choice and they always drive on the pavement. Actually I begrudgingly give them a lot of room even though they are disrupting my journey I have to be extra careful cuz if I don't there could be an accident in fact I have to concentrate the most when around cyclists I wouldn't mind if they had their own lane etc.as long as they are not on the road. Do u drive btw?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AeneasBK
If you can't cycle confidently above 10 MpH you should probably practice a bit more before joining the rush hour traffic, if only for your OWN safety.

Or get an electric bike, perhaps?
Reply 84
Original post by FXX
Why don't you do that on inclines? Seems to be where the most bottlenecks are with cyclists. You also tend to veer off into the middle of the lane now and again making it difficult to predict when it's safe to pass - if I touch you, it's my fault.

Partially because I'm a fat bugger, partially because you can't keep up that speed uphill anyway. on the flat I can do it easily enough but hills kill me. So I apologise but you'll have to wait if it isn't safe.

Original post by Harrie Lyons
Because in reality bikes go 10 mph on a 40 road and you have to dangerously slow down. I know someone with a scooter, they have no choice and they always drive on the pavement. Actually I begrudgingly give them a lot of room even though they are disrupting my journey I have to be extra careful cuz if I don't there could be an accident in fact I have to concentrate the most when around cyclists I wouldn't mind if they had their own lane etc.as long as they are not on the road. Do u drive btw?

In reality they don't. If you're reasonably fit (even if you aren't, I average higher than that and I'm not very fit and 15 and a half stone). How is slowing down dangerous? Drive looking further than the end of your own bonnet and it isn't dangerous. I know a lot of serious guys (who are amateurs, they just ride a lot) average 25-30mph, and sprint at 30mph. If they're doing 30mph in a 30 or a 40mph zone, you don't need to overtake, simple as.

Disrupting your journey? How much longer do you think it would take if we all drove our cars? Cycle lanes don't go where we want to go so people don't use them. I don't use them because it's just inconvenient for me - I don't have to use them and they're always full of crap anyway (glass etc). That being said It's good that you do give enough room because you could really hurt or kill somebody if not. Really, it is appreciated.

I get the impression you don't want us on the road because you're scared of getting into trouble. If you really feel that way then ride a bike on the road for a bit and see the dangers for yourself. The roads are not dangerous, it's bad drivers that make them dangerous.

And I do indeed drive. Passed 3 years ago but I prefer to ride a bike sometimes.

The kicker is that a lot of people (well, not a lot but enough to make a difference) now ride with cameras so if you drive in a way that causes an accident or nearly kills somebody, you'll be caught. I've reported people to the police before and they have been dealt with.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by AeneasBK
If you genuinely believe the first bolded part you're retarded. Saying "Its okay because this time I didn't cause an accident" is equally retarded thinking. That's like saying "Murder is fine as long as you don't get caught".
If you believe the second bolded part can I have some of your kryptonite/radioactive spider bite/adamantium skeleton or whatever you have that deludes you into thinking it...

I'll say it again, grow up.

What I mean to say is you can prevent yourself from being in an accident that is your fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Partially because I'm a fat bugger, partially because you can't keep up that speed uphill anyway. on the flat I can do it easily enough but hills kill me. So I apologise but you'll have to wait if it isn't safe.

Then you can understand why some motorists find cyclists annoying.
Reply 87
Original post by Gaffa94
So basically I was doing 52mph on a 30 road and was flashed by a camera, a few days later got the notice of intended prosecution. I know I was over the limit by a lot so the most likely course of action is a court appearance, however as I still have 5 months before my first 2 years of driving are up, would this result in 6 points and loss of licence?

Driving at 52 mph in a densely populated area is irresponsible and you could have killed or injured somebody.
There are many cyclists that die on the road btw so its not accident free.

Of course it's not, but the health benefits outweigh the risks, also having more cyclists on the road creates a "strength in numbers" effect which makes individual cyclists less likely to have accidents.

PS we really couldn't care what the environment does though I know as cyclist that will probably infuriate you beyond words...

Air pollution kills 29,000 people a year in this country; far more than the number killed by road accidents. I'm not a cyclist at the moment, but still, I think I can still rightfully say the only thing that infuriates me is that they'll give anybody a licence to drive these days.
Reply 89
Original post by FXX
Then you can understand why some motorists find cyclists annoying.

And how annoying do you think we find it when come cock overtakes us at speed a foot away?

Trust me, not only annoying, potentially fatal. Consider somebody else other than yourself. If I can touch your car, you're too close.

I'm a driver anyway, so knock that "some motorists" crap off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SR255
I regularly destroy the local speed limits often in full view of a passing or parked police car. My medals include 43mph in a 30 mph zone, 40 mph in a 20 mph zone and my personal favorite, 33 mph in a 12 mph zone.

Spoiler

Well a small bicycle going at 40 mph is different to a huge 2 tun heap of metal going at 40mph. You would probably kill yourself if you crashed at that speed though. 12 mph zone? i've never seen a speed limit that isn't in 10s.

Original post by bad8oy
LOL at you....it's nobody's fault that your paying that much insurance. An insurance company would overly charge young people anyway because they are able to do so. People who go a bit over the speed limit are not always the ones that crash it's probably more the drivers who are scared and too nervous to drive that cause accidents, also people who lose concentration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you stupid? Young people's insurance is so high because the crash rate is high, they don't just do it for a laugh. It is entirely the fault of idiotic young drivers.

Original post by sebotobes
I will get neg'd for this.

Nobody died, nobody was harmed. OP is looking for guidance and is nervous about his future. He's not claiming to be a perfect driver and isn't boasting about it.

Instead of all of you 'angels' just being condescending and critical, why not offer advice or empathy?

OP - I was in a car with someone who did this, basically the same scenario too. He got a slap on the wrist so to speak, and did the 4 hour course thing. He said it is boring as anything, but obviously worth escaping 3-6 points. So my advice would be to go for that definitely if allowed. And to be honest 51 in a 30 isn't the end of the world. The judge will have seen this many a time and hopefully he'll show some empathy.

Empathy? Was he forced into it? Was there a ghost that overtook his body and made him put his foot down on the accelerator? Someone holding a gun to his head? Lets just blame everything else- the world, the roads, the car, the government, the police officer. Honestly it's pathetic how people are unable to take any responsibility for their actions what so ever.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by deedee123
Empathy? Was he forced into it? Was there a ghost that overtook his body and made him put his foot down on the accelerator? Someone holding a gun to his head? Lets just blame everything else- the world, the roads, the car, the government, the police officer. Honestly it's pathetic how people are unable to take any responsibility for their actions what so ever.

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of empathy, sir.

Also, did I say anything about the police, the government, the car, the world or the road? Because I don't remember doing so.

Did I specifically say to empathize with him because of his actions? If you cared to scroll down the page a little more, you'll see I clearly explained that I don't condone his actions one bit.

But I won't explain the reason as to why I spoke about empathy. As you're clearly just another perfect person who has never done anything wrong.

Like I said before. Nobody was hurt, get over it. Hopefully he can take solace in the fact that nobody was hurt, and learn the lesson.

He was asking what the punishment was likely to be, he wasn't boasting or saying how proud he was.

I can see you're looking for something here, so let me just say.

/imout.
Have you never done anything wrong and regretted it?

You don't know what time he was doing this, it could have been at 2am. Who's likely to be wandering around in the road at 2am?

I'm not defending his actions, I'm saying he shouldn't be burnt at the stake for making an error.

There may be fewer people at 2am but those that are out will be more difficult to see and are more likely to move unpredictably.
30mph limits are 30mph for a reason (school etc).

You deserve to have the book thrown at you.

That's extreme.
Reply 94
Original post by lonelybrummie
That's extreme.

You realise it's an idiom, right?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_the_idiom_'throw_the_book_at_someone'_mean
Reply 95
Original post by deedee123
Are you stupid? Young people's insurance is so high because the crash rate is high, they don't just do it for a laugh. It is entirely the fault of idiotic young drivers.

Inexperienced is a better word. Don't get confused by speeding and crashing, people can crash at 29mph and drive without incident at 31mph.
The reason I'm criticising the OP wasn't for his action itself but for the lack of remorse, btw.
I will get neg'd for this.

Nobody died, nobody was harmed. OP is looking for guidance and is nervous about his future. He's not claiming to be a perfect driver and isn't boasting about it.

Instead of all of you 'angels' just being condescending and critical, why not offer advice or empathy?

OP - I was in a car with someone who did this, basically the same scenario too. He got a slap on the wrist so to speak, and did the 4 hour course thing. He said it is boring as anything, but obviously worth escaping 3-6 points. So my advice would be to go for that definitely if allowed. And to be honest 51 in a 30 isn't the end of the world. The judge will have seen this many a time and hopefully he'll show some empathy.

I 100%, wholeheartedly agree.
Original post by FXX
Inexperienced is a better word. Don't get confused by speeding and crashing, people can crash at 29mph and drive without incident at 31mph.

But crashes are more likely at higher speeds and also cause more damage at higher speeds - refer to the graphic about death rates. (May have been post 24 IIRC)

Yes, I do know that it's an idiom. Therefore, it's extreme that he should receive the punishment that the idiom is implying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending