The Student Room Group

What degree with these a levels?

Hello everyone, for my AS levels I did, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and I.C.T . This was to originally increase my options and give me more time to think.

However, Time has gone on, and I still dont know. I was originally considering medicine, but I can also do engineering, and many other subjects.

Im not sure what I will get in August, If I don't get good grades which is at least 3A grades out of my 4 subjects do you know what I should do?
Reply 1
I can't answer that for you without knowing your interests, sorry. You could do Medicine, as you say, or Engineering, or pretty much anything to do with Natural Sciences - probably Computer Science as well.
Reply 2
So you know your options. The most important thing is, to do what you enjoy. You will never be successful at something you don't enjoy.
Any branch of engineering is a good choice with good job prospects. Chemical, civil, mechanical, aerospace, electronical etc.

I'm currently studying chemical engineering and I love it. Don't get me wrong it's hard and takes a lot of time but it is also well respected and sought after. It's mostly physics and maths though, not an awful lot of chemistry.

If you have any questions about studying chemical engineering send me a message, I also have a friend who is studying civil engineering so I could ask him for you if you have any questions about that.

Good luck, I had no idea what I wanted to study at uni either.
Reply 4
Original post by Dominic Powell
Any branch of engineering is a good choice with good job prospects. Chemical, civil, mechanical, aerospace, electronical etc.

I'm currently studying chemical engineering and I love it. Don't get me wrong it's hard and takes a lot of time but it is also well respected and sought after. It's mostly physics and maths though, not an awful lot of chemistry.

If you have any questions about studying chemical engineering send me a message, I also have a friend who is studying civil engineering so I could ask him for you if you have any questions about that.

Good luck, I had no idea what I wanted to study at uni either.

wow thanks for replying, and assuring me I'm not the only one... I've thought of chemical engineering, but not quite sure what the jobs involve.. I might need to push myself to the limit next year and take AS Further maths aswell... By the way, I dont mean to be nosey but could I ask what you achieved for AS levels??... I dont think I have done brilliantly, and 2 out of my 3 maths exams didn't go so well
Reply 5
Original post by oranjuice
wow thanks for replying, and assuring me I'm not the only one... I've thought of chemical engineering, but not quite sure what the jobs involve.. I might need to push myself to the limit next year and take AS Further maths aswell... By the way, I dont mean to be nosey but could I ask what you achieved for AS levels??... I dont think I have done brilliantly, and 2 out of my 3 maths exams didn't go so well

If you're planning on taking AS Further Maths next year alongside A2 Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry, I would warn against it. It's a helluva lot of work. It would open up your chances of doing Maths and Cambridge describe it as "desirable" to have for their Chemical Engineering course though.
Got A in maths, chem and bio for AS levels but even if you didn't do so good you can still bump up your grades in A2

Quick Reply

Latest