The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL or Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JonathanRT
Ah, but I didn't say I hadn't seen it; I said there were "some" people like that at Exeter. I have only encountered that sort of character on one occasion, however, I'm sure that that sort of person could attend any university, not just Exeter. And, if they did, then we could quite easily have someone making your exact comment for any university.

I went to a comprehensive school, I didn't get any A*s at GCSE and I got the maximum grants/bursaries at university, but I've never had any ill-treatment for it and I studied there for four whole years. That's not to say it doesn't happen - you provided an example of such a case, but something can seem ubiquitous to a person when it has happened to them or, conversely, uncommon to a person when it hasn't happened to them, so we don't really have anything concrete on which to judge the situation.

I'm interested to know, do you know which halls this person lived in?

Apologies.

We were in Duryard, so Birks basically (where I work :smile:)

To be fair, he's such a lovely person, probably the loveliest one of the 'well off' part of our group of friends (though sometimes and for some people the word friend shouldn't be used aha). I don't think they do it on purpose at all, I think they're just not really used to it aha.

Although, one of them must know what he's saying most of the time. He's on my course (psychology) and he did biology for A Level so when I got my bio essay back (I'm awful at bio) he asked what I got and I told him I got 58. The next day he came into the kitchen "I just got my essay back, I thought it said 58 and I nearly cried because I'd done so badly, but I got 78. Oh don't worry, I did bio for a level and got an A" (yes I know you've mentioned it enough)

Eurgh. I forgot how mad some of the stuff they can say makes me since I've been at home aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by JonathanRT
Ah, but I didn't say I hadn't seen it; I said there were "some" people like that at Exeter. I have only encountered that sort of character on one occasion, however, I'm sure that that sort of person could attend any university, not just Exeter. And, if they did, then we could quite easily have someone making your exact comment for any university.

I went to a comprehensive school, I didn't get any A*s at GCSE and I got the maximum grants/bursaries at university, but I've never had any ill-treatment for it and I studied there for four whole years. That's not to say it doesn't happen - you provided an example of such a case, but something can seem ubiquitous to a person when it has happened to them or, conversely, uncommon to a person when it hasn't happened to them, so we don't really have anything concrete on which to judge the situation.

I'm interested to know, do you know which halls this person lived in?

Indeed, but there is a far higher concentration of such people at Exeter than at most (or perhaps any) UK universities. As individuals they are fairly harmless and can sometimes be affable and generous. but when there are groups of them, life becomes difficult for others.

The main point is that such people are less interesting than other students, and you learn less in terms of social development and general cultural knowledge by being in that kind of social background than you would elsewhere.
Original post by Voyager_2002
Indeed, but there is a far higher concentration of such people at Exeter than at most (or perhaps any) UK universities. As individuals they are fairly harmless and can sometimes be affable and generous. but when there are groups of them, life becomes difficult for others.

The main point is that such people are less interesting than other students, and you learn less in terms of social development and general cultural knowledge by being in that kind of social background than you would elsewhere.

Yay for social mobility :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending