The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine at VFU Brno

Scroll to see replies

Hi, so I'm a second year Zoology student at Bangor University and I'm seriously thinking about applying for both Brno and kosice next year. Now before I went to uni, I did a two year vocational course (BTEC National Diploma in Animal Management with D*D*D*) instead of A-Levels. Do you think Brno would accept this type of qualification along with a degree in Zoology? Thanks.
Original post by Speedyminty
Hi, so I'm a second year Zoology student at Bangor University and I'm seriously thinking about applying for both Brno and kosice next year. Now before I went to uni, I did a two year vocational course (BTEC National Diploma in Animal Management with D*D*D*) instead of A-Levels. Do you think Brno would accept this type of qualification along with a degree in Zoology? Thanks.

Almost assuredly. The tests for entry have started to get more difficult in past but degree in Zoology will be plenty. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DreadyVet
Almost assuredly. The tests for entry have started to get more difficult in past but degree in Zoology will be plenty. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I've been battling a little bit about what to do etc as this is a massive leap. Could I just ask, how is the course in first year? What are the exams like (are they oral like at kosice?)? Is the work load that heavy? Is there a massive learning curve? thanks
Original post by Speedyminty
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I've been battling a little bit about what to do etc as this is a massive leap. Could I just ask, how is the course in first year? What are the exams like (are they oral like at kosice?)? Is the work load that heavy? Is there a massive learning curve? thanks

Course is well hard. Very hard. It is every year haha. Most exams are oral but not all. Yes it is, people do manage however. And a huge learning curve for many but again... You do manage. Its not all doom and gloom but it is hard work.

It's probably more hard work than raw intelligence however. Not sure if that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Has anyone stayed in halls of residence at Brno?? Just wondering what they're like and whether they're shared rooms, close to the uni and amenities etc? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Freybe
Has anyone stayed in halls of residence at Brno?? Just wondering what they're like and whether they're shared rooms, close to the uni and amenities etc? Thanks :smile:

Hey Freybe.

I personally didn't stay in halls but I visited and saw halls many times.

They will suffice but when you are moving country and have no jurisdiction over who you are staying with, often people end up wanting more space. Also it's not a super long distance but is a substantial walk everyday. The large majority think halls is good for making friends and I guess for first week it may be, but the real friends are made during all the hours you spend at university. So don't read in to the idea halls are the best option, I never stayed in halls and live on the opposite side of the city and had no problems. The best thing you can do is be social and mix and put yourself out there.

Are you joining us next year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Thank-you for starting this thread. It's been very helpful.
Just wondering if you know how many first years manage to pass and carry onto the second year?
How many UK/Irish student study at Brno?
Original post by jamfr
Thank-you for starting this thread. It's been very helpful.
Just wondering if you know how many first years manage to pass and carry onto the second year?
How many UK/Irish student study at Brno?

Almost all of them. But it's not unheard of that students have exam they need to pass from first year in second year. :smile:

And not many but it's growing every year. It's mainly the agent who organises admissions who mess it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
jj
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EKT95
Hello :smile: My name is Elly and im 20 years old from the UK.
I have decided to make an application to the six year veterinary course at VFU Brno after attending an open day in January. I was really impressed with the facilities and we were extremely well looked after during our visit :smile:
I wondered if any one else was thinking about applying? I think you have to get your application in by the end of March but you can apply directly on their website, you don't need an agent! (I don't have one)
Ive just booked my flights to go sit the entrance exam on the 9th May, (you can sit it in London if you do have an agent) but i'm really excited to return to Brno its a fab city and it was only £40 return!
If any one is thinking about applying and i can be of any help let me know :smile:

Hi :smile:
I've just signed up with IMS and hoping to go this September and looking to sit the entrance exam in May as well. Can you tell me everything you've done so far?
Reply 50
Original post by rebeccamoyse
Hi :smile:
I've just signed up with IMS and hoping to go this September and looking to sit the entrance exam in May as well. Can you tell me everything you've done so far?

Are you sitting the exam in Brno or in London?
Reply 51
Original post by EKT95
Are you sitting the exam in Brno or in London?

Oops, hit send too soon... I'm just in the process of getting my a levels authorised by a solicitor and finishing off my CV then I'll be sending my application off :smile: what about you? X
Original post by EKT95
Oops, hit send too soon... I'm just in the process of getting my a levels authorised by a solicitor and finishing off my CV then I'll be sending my application off :smile: what about you? X

I haven't got my A Levels yet as sitting them in June. I've sent the for off already and going to be sitting it in London :smile:
Reply 53
Hi I'm in my final year of 6th form sat the entrance exam just waiting for results but I was wondering what equipment is provided by Brno and what do I need to buy myself.
For example stethoscope, scrubs, penlight, etc.
Also what do equipment is need for each year?
Thank you
Original post by kimmys
Hi I'm in my final year of 6th form sat the entrance exam just waiting for results but I was wondering what equipment is provided by Brno and what do I need to buy myself.
For example stethoscope, scrubs, penlight, etc.
Also what do equipment is need for each year?
Thank you

First of all.. make sure wait no longer than a month for results from IMS or university because IMS have been poor in history.

yes, you need to buy all those, but apart from your own scrubs, lab coat, you get information where to buy all the stuff when you are here. Dont worry, it will be all explained. But your own lab coat and stethoscope, i would get now, purely because its nice to get a fancy labcoat (you will have it for 6 years) and getting a stethoscope is good to have ready for when you do use it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
First of all.. make sure wait no longer than a month for results from IMS or university because IMS have been poor in history.

yes, you need to buy all those, but apart from your own scrubs, lab coat, you get information where to buy all the stuff when you are here. Dont worry, it will be all explained. But your own lab coat and stethoscope, i would get now, purely because its nice to get a fancy labcoat (you will have it for 6 years) and getting a stethoscope is good to have ready for when you do use it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually didn't uses IMS I used Eunicas- they don't charge agent fees and he's really good at replying to my emails. So I have to buy everything myself except for scrubs?Also do you know which textbooks are best for first year?
I also applied to Warsaw and have been accepted so I want to buy the things that overlap in the two equipment lists?
Also this is going to sound like a weird question but what colour scrubs do they give you and is it just one set?
Original post by kimmys
I actually didn't uses IMS I used Eunicas- they don't charge agent fees and he's really good at replying to my emails. So I have to buy everything myself except for scrubs?Also do you know which textbooks are best for first year?
I also applied to Warsaw and have been accepted so I want to buy the things that overlap in the two equipment lists?
Also this is going to sound like a weird question but what colour scrubs do they give you and is it just one set?

Is it Guy by any chance? He organises/organised for IMS. When i reference IMS I mean him. I would still wait no longer a month before you should email Michaela Ticha (International secretary) about whether you were offered a place :smile:

We have white scrubs but you wont be doing small animal stuff at uni much until third year and lab coats are justified until that point. But i would buy scrubs for when you do hours in the UK during summer :smile: Stick to lab coat and if you are that way inclined a stethoscope for now. They dont give you scrubs but I suggest you can buy some in UK or here. However I bought scrubs for work experience in UK over summer. In short, you dont need to buy anything until you come here. The city is really well equipped to give everything you need
Reply 57
Is it Guy by any chance? He organises/organised for IMS. When i reference IMS I mean him. I would still wait no longer a month before you should email Michaela Ticha (International secretary) about whether you were offered a place :smile:

We have white scrubs but you wont be doing small animal stuff at uni much until third year and lab coats are justified until that point. But i would buy scrubs for when you do hours in the UK during summer :smile: Stick to lab coat and if you are that way inclined a stethoscope for now. They dont give you scrubs but I suggest you can buy some in UK or here. However I bought scrubs for work experience in UK over summer. In short, you dont need to buy anything until you come here. The city is really well equipped to give everything you need

Yes actually it is and thank you I will, I only sat the exam last Sunday (8th). Thank you can you buy lab coats there as I really like the ones with starch/elasticated cuffs. Where would I get one of those? I have just bout a stethoscope as my local vets want me to volunteer there in my hols when they are short staffed so I will need one. Also do they tell you what you need and where to buy it? When you say you can buy it in Brno do you mean in the university shop or local shops in Brno?
Finally are you still at Brno if so what year are you in?
Reply 58
Hi,

Does any one know if Brno accept transfers from other universities. Unfortunately, the university I am currently at have lost their accreditation. I have completed year 3 and also done a 3 year degree in Animal Sciences.

Also do they have any contact details so I can get in touch with the uni themselves?

Thanks
Original post by neashy01
Hi,

Does any one know if Brno accept transfers from other universities. Unfortunately, the university I am currently at have lost their accreditation. I have completed year 3 and also done a 3 year degree in Animal Sciences.

Also do they have any contact details so I can get in touch with the uni themselves?

Thanks

There is a bit of a shake up in the system here last year just gone. If you had come start of this year it would have been no problem i assume but i know that the Dean is trying to stop what we call jumpers. Unlike other unis we dont have an accelerated course but we have (had) a method called jumping where yo can get previous study accredited to advance you further into program.

My suggestion would be to email [email protected]. She is the administrator/all knowing secretary for international course during this change. She will be able to give you a definitive answer. Tell her about previous study and that you went to Kosice and that if you could get to come to Brno would you be able to jump a few years, if subjects of previous study were accepted. Only issue i see is that the deadline for next years admissions has passed so i can assume that your study here would depend on admission for next year. But again, ask this lady (her names Michaela) for further info.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending