The Student Room Group

How do I tell my parents?

I really need some help. I've been in a relationship for about a year now. She's definitely the one who I think I'd want to spend my future with and vice versa. I'm still in school.

Now it's just getting to me. I really want to tell my parents, but I'm worried what their response will be like. I don't think it will be positive. But then again I don't know how they'd feel especially as she's probably the only girl friend my parents would know about. I've been nearly caught so many times but I've tried to escape my way out of it, so they still don't know if I have a gf or not. She's told her parents and they're fine with it.
Reply 1
perhaps if you elaborated on why you thought your parents would not be happy people could make suggestions.
Reply 2
Okay, I've just done my exams and they might feel that I have underperformed because I've a gf. All that stuff about, "now's not the time to have relationships/it's studies you should concentrate on".
Don't say anything yet until you have received your results.
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, I've just done my exams and they might feel that I have underperformed because I've a gf. All that stuff about, "now's not the time to have relationships/it's studies you should concentrate on".

If results are well, it's the ideal time to tell them.
Reply 5
Original post by Dee Leigh
Don't say anything yet until you have received your results.

Haha good point, but I don't think that'll do any good, cos I'm in year 12 atm. I was actually thinking I should wait until decisions from universities around January time, but that's what I'm struggling with. Have kept it quite for a year already, and now really struggling :frown:

Original post by boba
perhaps if you elaborated on why you thought your parents would not be happy people could make suggestions.
Reply 6
Just be honest with your parents. You may receive a little grief to start with, but there's not really a lot they can do about it.. They'll soon accept it then you can enjoy your relationship more.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha good point, but I don't think that'll do any good, cos I'm in year 12 atm. I was actually thinking I should wait until decisions from universities around January time, but that's what I'm struggling with. Have kept it quite for a year already, and now really struggling :frown:

If your results are good then wouldn't that prove to your parents that it's not a distraction? :smile:
Reply 8
That's a good point ^ Is there any way after that, that I could actually tell them? Like a sequence of events leading up to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending