The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

BA graphic and communication design at university of Leeds

was wondering if anybody studies/d graphic and communication design at Leeds?
what's it like?
how well does the university support with work placements and studying abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the university there are plenty of opportunities but in no way will you be "spoon fed". You can of course just study the degree and not expand anywhere else but you will very quickly find yourself a substandard candidate for many things.

Recently I met quite a few graphic and communication design students who were surprised to be competing against people with professional experience from other degree programs in work placements that were graphics based.

Studying that particular degree you really need to work on getting the most you can out of your time at Leeds and focusing on personal development using the city environment (a very positive one) to your advantage.

Bottom line is there is plenty of support, but the real "key" to Leeds is utilizing all of the opportunities that are available if you work for them!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by azzee
was wondering if anybody studies/d graphic and communication design at Leeds?
what's it like?
how well does the university support with work placements and studying abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm a 2nd year (going on 3rd year) graphics student and I'm going on my work placement year in a few months time. The course is very supportive towards the year in industry/study abroad modules and is encouraged by all the staff!

Read this for the year in industry module info: http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201112&M=DESN-9004
Reply 3
Original post by hannnahks
Hey I'm a 2nd year (going on 3rd year) graphics student and I'm going on my work placement year in a few months time. The course is very supportive towards the year in industry/study abroad modules and is encouraged by all the staff!

Read this for the year in industry module info: http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201112&M=DESN-9004

Hey, I've applied for G&CD! Do u enjoy studying this course at Leeds? :}
Reply 4
Original post by Vasare.pi
Hey, I've applied for G&CD! Do u enjoy studying this course at Leeds? :}

Yeah I really enjoy it, it's a bit of a struggle at first especially if you've never done anything graphic related before but there're plenty of opportunities to get to know your class in the first few weeks/months but I can't stress enough dont be shy to talk in class - getting feedback from your group is important so you'll get more out of it and you'll make friends a lot faster!
Yeah I really enjoy it, it's a bit of a struggle at first especially if you've never done anything graphic related before but there're plenty of opportunities to get to know your class in the first few weeks/months but I can't stress enough dont be shy to talk in class - getting feedback from your group is important so you'll get more out of it and you'll make friends a lot faster!

Thanks for your answers so far. :biggrin:
How often do you have to meet up with your class to give feedback and how often do you have lectures? :smile: Is there a lot of free time of your own?
Reply 6
Original post by Abblecrumble
Thanks for your answers so far. :biggrin:
How often do you have to meet up with your class to give feedback and how often do you have lectures? :smile: Is there a lot of free time of your own?

You meet up once a week for 4 hours (not sure if they've changed the timetable for freshers though!) and you'll have around 4 lectures a week, you get a good amount of time on your own to work on your sketchbooks/essays/projects.
You meet up once a week for 4 hours (not sure if they've changed the timetable for freshers though!) and you'll have around 4 lectures a week, you get a good amount of time on your own to work on your sketchbooks/essays/projects.

How many hours a week/day are you in lectures?

Quick Reply

Latest