The Student Room Group

Would You Eat GM Food?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by n00
:yawn: No.

Sounds to me like you don't actually have any solid reasons why you dislike them so intensely...
Reply 41
Original post by Tabzqt
Sounds to me like you don't actually have any solid reasons why you dislike them so intensely...

Alright deary, as you please, you've really got me with that strawman. I guess I have no opition but to sustain myself purely with GM maze licked from Satans ringpiece from this moment on.
(edited 10 years ago)
No I wouldn't.

I can explain this using an example studied in school.

Around 20 years ago there was a drought in Zimbabwe. Western scientists had just cracked a crop which could survive in droughts so it was donated. It was fully safety tested. It was placed in a single field severing 6 villages. Around 300 people. It was great until 10 years later when about 250 of them died. A long term gene mutation had killed the majority of people who ate from the crop.

This is why I would not eat the crop. No amount of testing can see what will happen in 5,10,20 years time. Deadly gene mutations can take years to develop. Therefore everything should be left in its natural state

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Sammy Lanka
No I wouldn't.

Around 20 years ago there was a drought in Zimbabwe. Western scientists had just cracked a crop which could survive in droughts so it was donated. It was fully safety tested. It was placed in a single field severing 6 villages. Around 300 people. It was great until 10 years later when about 250 of them died. A long term gene mutation had killed the majority of people who ate from the crop.

This is why I would not eat the crop. No amount of testing can see what will happen in 5,10,20 years time. Deadly gene mutations can take years to develop. Therefore everything should be left in its natural state

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I have a source on this please?
Reply 44
For safety reasons there is no reason not to eat them... DNA, however messed up isn't going to affect you.

The only reasons are because you disapprove of them morally or something. E.g, you are religious and think its against god, or you think they ruin ecosystems etc or don't like the companies.
Original post by Tabzqt
Can I have a source on this please?

Ask my geography teacher for his source. All I have is a word processed info sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hanvyj
For safety reasons there is no reason not to eat them... DNA, however messed up isn't going to affect you.

The only reasons are because you disapprove of them morally or something. E.g, you are religious and think its against god, or you think they ruin ecosystems etc or don't like the companies.

DNA is more than capable of harming you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Ask my geography teacher for his source. All I have is a word processed info sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I can't ask your geography teacher can I? :rolleyes:

I'm trying to look it up now and I can't find a thing. No news report, no scientific analysis, nothing. It's not even on the anti-GMO propaganda sites.

I did find these though:
http://www.trust.org/item/?map=zimbabwe-urged-to-lift-ban-on-growing-genetically-modified-food
http://www.africa-agri.com/zimbabwe-farmers-calls-for-planting-of-gmos/

It seems many actual Zimbabwean farmers are broadly supportive of GMOs.

You've got a history of making stuff up to suit your agenda so it really wouldn't surprise me if you're doing it again.
Original post by Tabzqt
Well, I can't ask your geography teacher can I? :rolleyes:

I'm trying to look it up now and I can't find a thing. No news report, no scientific analysis, nothing. It's not even on the anti-GMO propaganda sites.

I did find these though:
http://www.trust.org/item/?map=zimbabwe-urged-to-lift-ban-on-growing-genetically-modified-food
http://www.africa-agri.com/zimbabwe-farmers-calls-for-planting-of-gmos/

It seems many actual Zimbabwean farmers are broadly supportive of GMOs.

You've got a history of making stuff up to suit your agenda so it really wouldn't surprise me if you're doing it again.

Look dude I can't prove anything because all I have is what my teacher told me. If your not satisfied with that then shut up and stop wasting my time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Look dude I can't prove anything because all I have is what my teacher told me. If your not satisfied with that then shut up and stop wasting my time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it not strike you as odd that 250 people dying of "long term genetic mutations" from crops has not been reported anywhere on the internet, ever, except here?

If you're not making this up then you must go to a very strange school indeed.
Original post by Tabzqt
Does it not strike you as odd that 250 people dying of "long term genetic mutations" from crops has not been reported anywhere on the internet, ever, except here?

If you're not making this up then you must go to a very strange school indeed.

Actually it is in special measures :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Actually it is in special measures :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That certainly explains a lot...
Reply 52

Ok, there is little or no evidence suggesting that any kind of modified crop has caused harm on ingestion. All evidence points to them being completely fine to eat, especially given the regulation and testing they go through.
Reply 53
well GM could potentially be dangerous, but if it is tested I don't see why not.
No I wouldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am confident that this is pure fiction. Zimbabwe, like all African countries, has never allowed GM crops to be imported and so we can be certain that the crops in this story were not GM. And I am fairly sure that if such a thing had ever happened, I would have heard about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hardly!

DNA is broken down by cooking, and the DNA in raw food gets broken down by your digestive juices. What can harm you are the toxic substances that are naturally produced by some plants, bacteria and fungi, and of course all of these are "coded for" by particular pieces of DNA. For example, there is plant called cassava that is an important food crop in much of the 'Third World'. Cassava naturally produces cyanide, which protects it from insect pests, and traditional methods of preparing it remove the cyanide. Now if some idiot were to use a form of GM to insert the DNA that codes for cyanide into the tomato plant, the result would be seriously harmful.
Reply 56
Original post by Voyager_2002
I am confident that this is pure fiction.

He's done this before on a different thread. He seems to like making stuff up to support his arguments.
Reply 57
Yes, i'd eat it
Right after you
Original post by Tabzqt
He's done this before on a different thread. He seems to like making stuff up to support his arguments.

I have said before I am quoting a geography case study. Having done some research myself i too can find no record so I understand your doubts. I am not lying though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, because food has been genetically modified via selective breeding pretty much since farming began - all GM basically is is a more precise way of modifying the foodstuff for a specific purpose (e.g resistance to X,Y & Z)

That said I don't think I'd support genetically modifying animals, at least in a way that isn't selective breeding.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending