The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary Jewish Cemetery?

I was looking at the Uni on google maps and noticed a cemetery, on their website they say it's a Jewish Cemetery, isn't that a little odd/creepy? :confused: Do you see it on your way to lectures?
Its central to the university. The offices of the Leo Baeck Institute look out onto it. Its all history! Back in the day Jewish people were not allowed to buried within the city so they were buried outside - Mile End was one of these locations. And no, its not odd or creepy. The irony I think is how few Jewish people attend the university. And its a shame because the pro-Palestine table in Library Square never has any challenge, need for debate etc.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
More to the point... the university scheduled graduation on the day of a Jewish festival (I forgot the Hebrew name) meaning that my Orthodox Jewish friend cannot attend. Very bad planning on their part given it is meant to be a 'multicultural' university.
It's not creepy at all, it's kind of cool, although it can be a bit weird at night ahahah!

Although I do have to say, there are Jewish people at the uni, although of course they are not a majority!
Reply 4
There are actually two Jewish cemeteries on the Mile End campus - but no one knows about the second one :shh:
To be honest its not even noticeable unless you walk through two particular paths on campus. Even then it looks quite cool. But then I wouldn't like to walk down there at night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending