The Student Room Group

Difficult choices about Med school.

Hi all,
I'm having a real tough time in deciding whether or not to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. I have triple science GCSE plus chemistry,biology and physics as single GCSE awards too. I believe i would need to study A-level biology and chemistry to be able to enter med school. This will take 2 more years and then i'd be 24 before trying to study medicine. My problem is, which path to take?
Do i study these a-levels then progress to study a further 5 years in med school? Or do i study another interest of mine; Health science degree and then possibly progress onto med school?
I have been thinking about this for a long time and have still not come to any decisions. I also have a home so would need to know whether full time education would allow me to work on bank shifts?

Is there anyone out there that can help ?

Sooooo confused :frown:
Original post by SammG
Hi all,
I'm having a real tough time in deciding whether or not to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. I have triple science GCSE plus chemistry,biology and physics as single GCSE awards too. I believe i would need to study A-level biology and chemistry to be able to enter med school. This will take 2 more years and then i'd be 24 before trying to study medicine. My problem is, which path to take?
Do i study these a-levels then progress to study a further 5 years in med school? Or do i study another interest of mine; Health science degree and then possibly progress onto med school?
I have been thinking about this for a long time and have still not come to any decisions. I also have a home so would need to know whether full time education would allow me to work on bank shifts?

Is there anyone out there that can help ?

Sooooo confused :frown:

I am 24 and a medical student in my 1st year of a 5 year course :smile: The first few years there is plenty of time, and if you are self supporting you'll get support financially from student finance.

I would say go for it and then if you are unsuccessful like many people unfortunately are, you'll have something you love to fall back to. Otherwise, if you're successful - congratulations! You'll be a doctor! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending