The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into Imperial/LSE

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so bare with me :smile: .

My long story short:
- studying Civil Engineering @ Cardiff Uni, but don't enjoy the discipline. I have done two internships with Balfour Beatty and Bechtel (both on different ends of the Civil Engin. spectrum) and didn't enjoy either.
- I've always taken an interest in investments and have been investing for little over a year now, and doing well! I was blessed with the oppurtunity of some work experience with Tullett Prebon (Stock brokers, trading Base Metals) and loved it, but knew i wanted to chase something more mathematically orientated within investments, as this is where I'm most prominent. Hence, I am looking to apply to MSc Finance and MSc Mathematical Finance at Imperial and LSE to better my chances of landing a career as an analyst/associate in a Bulge Bracket or a Hedge Fund. (i tried getting a few intenrships at some IBs for summer but was unsuccessful)

MY QUESTION IS: What are my chances of getting into LSE/Imperial with my current academic results?)...

My academic history:
- A Levels: A*AB (Art, Maths, Physics respectively)
- Year One: 73.8% 1st (All modules were firsts, apart from two 2.1s and one 2.2)
- Year Two: 72.0% 1st (50/50 split between 2.1 and 1.1s... however in my mathematical modules such as Hydraulics, Engineering Analysis and Soil Mechanics, i didn't go lower than 80%)

I must note that i also have extenuating circumstances as, sadly, my father passed away just before Christmas 2012. This is one of the reasons i want to study closer to home (home being Southend, Essex).

Thanks for your time!!!!
Why dont you email each Uni and ask them if your current subject profile/results would be appropriate for entry onto this specific MSc?
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Why dont you email each Uni and ask them if your current subject profile/results would be appropriate for entry onto this specific MSc?

Hi returnmigrant. I gave both of them a call last week and asked about my odds and whether they have anyone from Cardiff enrolled. Both said i had a chance and they had a few students from Cardiff. But, they didn't care to reveal much, so thought i'd ask on here!
Send an email to the specific member of staff responsible for that Masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending