The Student Room Group

University resits - how do they work?

Firstly, what if you pass first year with 60% overall but failed 1 out of the 10 modules that you did. Do you have to resit that one exam again even though you got a 2:1 overall?

And also, say for example one of your modules was made up of three components... Eg. 25% jan exam, 25% presentation and 50% summer exam... if you get 60 in each of the 25% components, and then 35% in the summer exam, do you still have to resit the one individual part of the module, even though the average would be well above 40%?

Thanks in advance
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by JakeE10
Firstly, what if you pass first year with 60% overall but failed 1 out of the 10 modules that you did. Do you have to resit that one exam again even though you got a 2:1 overall?

And also, say for example one of your modules was made up of three components... Eg. 25% jan exam, 25% presentation and 50% summer exam... if you get 60 in each of the 25% components, and then 35% in the summer exam, do you still have to resit the one individual part of the module, even though the average would be well above 40%?

Thanks in advance

I think you are safest asking your university for its own rules, since it's likely many institutions operate in different ways.
Reply 3
I would ask your uni, but here is how mine works to give you an idea.

You can only get an honours degree if you pass every module, I can go through to next year if I had failed one module and have the choice to resit then or even not at all although they don't advise this.

You wouldn't have to resit individual components of a module if you have passed overall. This is why some people will not bother with things worth small percentages if it is going to take a lot of time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Definitely best to check with your University and department on their individual policy. At Durham, it is necessary to pass all modules regardless of overall grade. If for example you fail one, you must resit, and this is capped at 40% (the pass mark). Hope that helps! Good luck :smile: x
Reply 5
Thanks guys! Think i'll have to resit the 1 module I failed although I did well in the other 9!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending