The Student Room Group

Nottingham A108 2014 entry

Hey guys, this is a thread for all the applicants for the A108 course at Nottingham for 2014 entry to talk. The course is relatively new, I have completed the foundation year and will be starting year 1 of the A100 this September. Feel free to ask me any questions about the foundation year! :u:

Here is some information about the course.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx

Here are links answering the most frequent questions:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/documents/frequently-asked-questions-for-a108-11092012.pdf

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/faq/a108faq.aspx

Here is the programme specification for the foundation year:

http://programmespec.nottingham.ac.uk/nottingham/asp/view_specification.asp?crs_id=022659&year_id=000113

The foundation year is based in the graduate medical school in Derby rather than the undergraduate school in Nottingham. Once you have completed the foundation year, you will move to Nottingham to join year 1 of A100. It is advised that you live in halls in Derby (Lonsdale hall) for your foundation year and then live in Nottingham for year 1. You are guaranteed accommodation for both your foundation year and first year. Lonsdale hall is self catered btw. You need to pass the foundation year by 60% average across all modules, a pass in your portfolio work and a minimum of 40% in each module. You will have January exams and May exams. This is a list of the modules you will take in the year:

Biochemical processes
Biological Molecules
Body Processes
Body Structure
Cells and Tissues
Human Genetics
Inorganic chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Health, Behaviour and Society
Study Skills

Your average day is from 9:30 till 15:00 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesdays are reserved for study skills which take place over in the med school in Nottingham rather than Derby.

Academic criteria for the A108 course

Spoiler

Additional criteria

Spoiler

Selection criteria for interview

Spoiler

What if my GCSE's are suitable for the A100 (5 year medicine) course:

Spoiler

Interviews have now been confirmed to take place on the following dates:

March 2014 - 10th, 17th, 21st.

[scrollr]
G o o d l u c k! :beard:
[/scrollr]
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
would not having chemistry unable you to apply? and also what where your a-levels and grades? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by notsure
would not having chemistry unable you to apply? and also what where your a-levels and grades? :smile:

Hey, unfortunatly you do need chemistry A level as stated on the uni website "Three A-levels to include chemistry and excluding general studies and critical thinking.". When I applied I was predicted BBC at Alevel (bio,maths and chem) however achieved ABB (bio, maths, chem). My GCSE grades were 2 A*s, 2 A's, 3 B's and 1 C (my school let us do a maximum of 8 GCSE's).
Reply 3
Original post by sumsum123
Hey, unfortunatly you do need chemistry A level as stated on the uni website "Three A-levels to include chemistry and excluding general studies and critical thinking.". When I applied I was predicted BBC at Alevel (bio,maths and chem) however achieved ABB (bio, maths, chem). My GCSE grades were 2 A*s, 2 A's, 3 B's and 1 C (my school let us do a maximum of 8 GCSE's).

Oh crap :/ and most medicine foundation courses ask for chemistry a level right? Would picking up as chemistry be any help??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by notsure
Oh crap :/ and most medicine foundation courses ask for chemistry a level right? Would picking up as chemistry be any help??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all tbh, there are some who want students who have not done more than one science A-level or no science A-levels and then you got some that insist on chemistry A-level. I assume you have just finished your AS? You would only be able to complete AS chem and Notts required full Alevel chem. You can double check with the uni.

I assume you have got biology but no chemistry? Here is a list of foundation year medicine courses and some insist on "no more than one science Alevel" which could apply to you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

If you were to pick up chem AS and take bio to A2 for example, you could look at applying to Durham perhaps.

Oh and make sure you check you meet the other non academic widening access criteria for each course :smile:
Reply 5
Reply 6
Hey guys, this is a thread for all the applicants for A108 course at Nottingham for 2014 entry. The course is relatively new, I have finsished the foundation year and will be starting year 1 of the A100 this September. Feel free to ask me any questions about the foundation year! :u:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx

Here is a document answering the most frequent questions:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/documents/frequently-asked-questions-for-a108-11092012.pdf

The foundation year is based in the graduate medical school in Derby rather than the undergraduate school in Nottingham. Once you have completed the foundation year, you will move to Nottingham to join year 1 of A100. It is advised that you live in halls in Derby (Lonsdale hall) for your foundation year and then live in Nottingham for year 1. You are guarranteed accommodation for both your foundation year and first year. Lonsdale hall is self catered btw. You need to pass the foundation year by 60% average across all modules, a pass in yor portfolio work and a minimum of 40% in each module.

Your average day is from 9:30 till 15:00 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesdays are reserved for study skills which take place over in the med school in Nottingham rather than Derby.

Best of luck everyone! :beard:

Hi sumsum,
Can you answer some of these questions for me please

What was your UKCAT score?
What averages did other people on the course get?
How important is the UKCAT score in the admission process?

What was and how long was your work experience?
What did you think the strongest part of your application was?

Thanks for your time and good luck with your Medicine degree :-)
Reply 7
Original post by freetown
Hi sumsum,
Can you answer some of these questions for me please

What was your UKCAT score?
What averages did other people on the course get?
How important is the UKCAT score in the admission process?

What was and how long was your work experience?
What did you think the strongest part of your application was?

Thanks for your time and good luck with your Medicine degree :-)

Hey there :smile:

My ukcat was 575 average. I don't know what other people got sorry. My advice is to try your best in the ukcat but don't worry too much if you have not done great. My score is far from great but you can make up for it in other aspects of your application.

Well for w.e/voluntary work I done placements at two hospitals for two weeks. A week at a gp. Few months voluntary work at an adult disability centre. Volunteered at a religous youth group for a few years. I also volunteered with a youth empowering charity for two years where I got an award of student of the year presented by the Lord Mayor. I was the president of the student guild at my college. I can't remember what else. I think my personal statement/work experience&voluntary work was my strongest point. Best tip for ps is to make sure you reflect on your experiences and provide evidence. If you state that you are a great leader or team player back it up with evidence! And just believe in yourself, it is a competitive course to get into but don't get intimidated.

Thank you very much.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

No problem :smile:
Reply 9

My ukcat was 575 average. I don't know what other people got sorry. My advice is to try your best in the ukcat but don't worry too much if you have not done great. My score is far from great but you can make up for it in other aspects of your application.

Well for w.e/voluntary work I done placements at two hospitals for two weeks. A week at a gp. Few months voluntary work at an adult disability centre. Volunteered at a religous youth group for a few years. I also volunteered with a youth empowering charity for two years where I got an award of student of the year presented by the Lord Mayor. I was the president of the student guild at my college. I can't remember what else. I think my personal statement/work experience&voluntary work was my strongest point. Best tip for ps is to make sure you reflect on your experiences and provide evidence. If you state that you are a great leader or team player back it up with evidence! And just believe in yourself, it is a competitive course to get into but don't get intimidated.

Thank you very much.

Thank you for such a helpful response.
Reply 10
Original post by freetown
Thank you for such a helpful response.

No problem and good luck!
Reply 11

Thank you very much.

Thank you soo much , I was wondering if i got 4 c's for AS could i get into medicine with a foundation year? Please reply soon thanks
Reply 12
No probelm :smile: yeah you stand a fair chance if you meet all the other requirements for this course. For this course you need to be predicted CCC or above so applying with 4 C's I presume you would be predicted three B's which is fine.

oh thanks, I'm just really nervous. how shall i revise for the UKCAT test?
please if you can help, that'll be great
Thanks
Where do you get taught? Just curious, I'm part of WAMS (Widening Access to Medical School) at Notts and a few people have asked me about the foundation year and I don't know anything about it! :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by colabottles
Where do you get taught? Just curious, I'm part of WAMS (Widening Access to Medical School) at Notts and a few people have asked me about the foundation year and I don't know anything about it! :tongue:

Funny that you say that! I was looking for your society's su page to join but couldn't find it as it is something I am interested in but couldn't find a page with info so figured I would wait till September. We are a class of 11 people and based at the graduate medical school in Derby, Royal Derby Hospital. Once you pass your exams over 60% average along with a pass of 40% in each module plus a pass in your portfolio work you move to the qmc to join the A100 cohort and resume with the standard five year course. I am coming to the qmc in September. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Rukhsaar
oh thanks, I'm just really nervous. how shall i revise for the UKCAT test?
please if you can help, that'll be great
Thanks

I will reply back to your pm once I get on a computer :smile:
Reply 16
I will reply back to your pm once I get on a computer :smile:

Reply 17
Hey guys, this is a thread for all the applicants for A108 course at Nottingham for 2014 entry. The course is relatively new, I have finsished the foundation year and will be starting year 1 of the A100 this September. Feel free to ask me any questions about the foundation year! :u:

Here is a document answering the most frequent questions:

The foundation year is based in the graduate medical school in Derby rather than the undergraduate school in Nottingham. Once you have completed the foundation year, you will move to Nottingham to join year 1 of A100. It is advised that you live in halls in Derby (Lonsdale hall) for your foundation year and then live in Nottingham for year 1. You are guarranteed accommodation for both your foundation year and first year. Lonsdale hall is self catered btw. You need to pass the foundation year by 60% average across all modules, a pass in yor portfolio work and a minimum of 40% in each module.

Best of luck everyone! :beard:

Thanks for the info! :biggrin:
I have a question, I think I've done awfully in my chemistry AS exam, if I got a D could I still apply to this course?
Reply 18
Original post by madz2802
Thanks for the info! :biggrin:
I have a question, I think I've done awfully in my chemistry AS exam, if I got a D could I still apply to this course?

Hey there :smile: no problem. I just checked the uni website and this is what they said in regards to AS levels "We don’t ask for particular grades at AS level. We will look at them to ensure that you have a C in the subjects you are taking further to A-level." and for your fourth AS level "We require it to be a pass, but do not have a specific grade requirement." However you will have to take your chem to full Alevel. Now my advice would be is first wait till results day, sometimes you think you done really awful but you could have done actually alright, you might even surprise yourself! The grade boundaries might be low. So just wait and don't second guess yourself... it is horrible trying to guess what you got. If you find that you have a D in your chem exam and was really close to the C it might be worth getting a remark. And contact the university and ask them about it straightaway even if you are getting it remarked, you can easily bring a D up by retaking a module. So just contact them and explain your situation. You can make an informed choice then :smile:, good luck on results day!
(edited 10 years ago)
Funny that you say that! I was looking for your society's su page to join but couldn't find it as it is something I am interested in but couldn't find a page with info so figured I would wait till September. We are a class of 11 people and based at the graduate medical school in Derby, Royal Derby Hospital. Once you pass your exams over 60% average along with a pass of 40% in each module plus a pass in your portfolio work you move to the qmc to join the A100 cohort and resume with the standard five year course. I am coming to the qmc in September. :smile:

Ah brill, thanks for the info, that's really useful!

Haha what a coincidence! Well unfortunately WAMS isn't a society that really has members, it's more of a committee who just have allocated roles (but I'll be looking for volunteers for a couple of events I'm running when we go back so inbox me if you're interested in helping out, I'd be really grateful! :smile: ). There will be elections for a new committee at some point in first term though so keep an eye out for that, it's a great society to be a part of!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending