The Student Room Group

Poland Outlaws Halal and Kosher slaughter of animals

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Iqbal007
Muslims do know the difference between what is halal(lawful to them) and non-halal which is haraam (forbidden to them), it will affect them when it comes to faith and hence why Muslims eat halal only, to say that they don't know the difference is a understatement, they will very much care especially if they are tricked into eating non-halal food. They will always pick halal, if there isn't halal meat it doesnt mean they will eat non-halal meat.
I very much doubt, the only people who care about where there meat comes from are people who have a view on animal welfare but that in itself is very opinionated.

I personally find nothing wrong with halal and to be honest is far more concerned with animal welfare compared to non-halal meat which can come from numerous sources where throughout their lives animals will suffer from birth and suddenly its all better because you stun it :rolleyes:

No where does it say that they can be prosecuted under so and so....................all its stated in your source is that all slaughter including ritual must be stunned beforehand. And even reading it, there is already political backlash.

the stunning of the animal automatically makes it non kosher/halal according to the those 'experts' which is why the issue is there at all. poles calls this form of inhmane slaughter as ritual, they rejected an exemeption bill for kosher, and therefore it is illegal under the animal cruelty laws- that is what the article actually says. I appreciate that animal cruelty is not a concern of yours but it is to many others- and the fact the EU has anti cruelty laws means it is a major issue n Europe. you are also missing the point- I said that muslims are unable to differenciate between halal and non hala meat if they are not told which is which - and also non halal meat does not have any negative affects on them. the whole point of what they pick is simply cultural ie its something they have always done int he past. again I don't see this as an argument for inhumane slaughter or unecessarry suffering, even if that is not the concern of halal butchers. I guess the point of contention is the 'need ' to cause the anmial to suffer during its halal/kosher ritual slaughter vs the morality of minimising that as much as possible
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Well, actually it is still legal. Halal slaughter can still be done with a prior stun, so that's still legal. As for Kosher meat (although I'm no expert), stunning is not strictly against Kosher slaughtering rules. So if ritual slaughter was done with prior stunning it would a) still be ritual slaughter and b) still be halal/kosher. So the statement that "Poland outlaws halal and kosher slaughter" is extremely misleading, and judging from most of the posts in the thread, I am not alone in getting the wrong impression of what exactly happened.

Edit: Anyway, we can argue all day about semantics. As for the main topic, I am very very glad that Poland has decided to keep this, and I would hope that England and other countries follow suite.

a stun or dead bolt is not halal/ kosher slaughter that's the point :rolleyes: these rituals are born from the desert tribes of the ancient times wehre they had to see all the blood drain out while the animal was alive and active - any other way they class it as 'carrion' and inedible.
Reply 82
I know this is bad.. But I misread it as poundland d'oh moment
Reply 83
Original post by 2011wc2013ct
im pretty sure these were oversights - halal meat is generally labelled

75% is not oversights if we are talking about the children who eat the food. Of course the schools know that it's halal.

I'm not sure what the current stance on general meat in supermarkets is. I know Morrisons sell non-halal meat in a certain section, I couldn't find any up to date information about others.
Reply 84
Original post by RVNmax
75% is not oversights if we are talking about the children who eat the food. Of course the schools know that it's halal.

I'm not sure what the current stance on general meat in supermarkets is. I know Morrisons sell non-halal meat in a certain section, I couldn't find any up to date information about others.

I would have thought major supermarkets sell majority humane slaughtered meats, apart from smaller labelled sections for halal kosher
Reply 85
Original post by vsmith1
I know this is bad.. But I misread it as poundland d'oh moment

you should not buy your meat from poundland
Good, people shouldn't be torturing animals to death for the sake of primitive superstition.
a stun or dead bolt is not halal/ kosher slaughter that's the point :rolleyes:

Again, I'm not sure about Kosher, in here in the UK (as de-mones pointed out) the majority of halal meat uses a stun. Thus if such a law were to be passed in the UK, only a fraction of the halal meat would become illegal. The halal meat that does use the stun is still considered halal.
Reply 88
I would have thought major supermarkets sell majority humane slaughtered meats, apart from smaller labelled sections for halal kosher

Exactly, that's what everyone presumes. But do you know for sure? It's not labeled is it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315278/Top-supermarkets-secretly-sell-halal-Sainsburys-Tesco-Waitrose-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

note this is 2010. As I claimed earlier, I'm not sure what the situation is at the moment.

Oh and Daily Mail was the top link, you can do your own searching if you want a different source.
Reply 89
I'd like to see progress in animal slaughter to make it more humane through consistent stunning and higher standards at slaughterhouses, and this can't happen if we allow exceptions to the law for religious reasons. It's not that Halal was ever intended to be cruel, but it's now possible to do better and that's what we should be aiming for.
Reply 90
the stunning of the animal automatically makes it non kosher/halal according to the those 'experts' which is why the issue is there at all. poles calls this form of inhmane slaughter as ritual, they rejected an exemeption bill for kosher, and therefore it is illegal under the animal cruelty laws- that is what the article actually says. I appreciate that animal cruelty is not a concern of yours but it is to many others- and the fact the EU has anti cruelty laws means it is a major issue n Europe. you are also missing the point- I said that muslims are unable to differenciate between halal and non hala meat if they are not told which is which - and also non halal meat does not have any negative affects on them. the whole point of what they pick is simply cultural ie its something they have always done int he past. again I don't see this as an argument for inhumane slaughter or unecessarry suffering, even if that is not the concern of halal butchers. I guess the point of contention is the 'need ' to cause the anmial to suffer during its halal/kosher ritual slaughter vs the morality of minimising that as much as possible

Well that automatically applies to Kosher, whereas the halal thing is very debatable but pretty much only in countries where stunning is the norm.
"Poles" not all poles and you are using the term Poles in a generalising tone when this has nothing to do with the majority, but to a dubious law passed in 1997ish which only animal rights people have challenged which has then be politicised for peoples own gains.
Animal cruelty is a concern of mine, so don't speak for me when you don't even know me :rolleyes: Every Muslim has a duty to the environment, etc. Muslims eat halal not because of culture :facepalm: but for religious reasons as its been proscribed for them.

You have already been banned :rolleyes: Isn't surprising considering the non-sense you have been writing, very cluttered argument, without a clear goal, very opinionated on certain matters, and you avoid my criticisms and regurgitate.
Reply 91
Original post by de_monies
BOOM! So much, so much, so much freaking ignorance. See here:
https://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232719611043&mode=prd

Animal welfare isn't a concern? That's why lots of Muslim scholars and Jewish Rabbis don't allow battery farming, which is allowed in a lot of Western farms?

Someone posted a link about a halal abbatoir, when there are so many more non halal abbotoirs treating their animals cruelly as well ie:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Cruel+farm&oq=Cruel+farm&gs_l=youtube.3..0i5.6053.7634.0.7943.10.9.0.1.1.0.115.637.8j1.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.PIEy95Or4so

SHould we now ban meat altogether? Especially as the only real difference between halal meat (Not so for Kosher I guess) is that there's a prayer over it?

Ritual slaughter is barbaric, and has no place in a civilised society. Battery farming is a different issue. Sure, battery farming is cruel and barbaric too, but we are talking about killing animals for human consumption and the methods used, not the conditions in which animals are kept. That is a different issue.
Original post by Kerch
I'd like to see progress in animal slaughter to make it more humane through consistent stunning and higher standards at slaughterhouses, and this can't happen if we allow exceptions to the law for religious reasons. It's not that Halal was ever intended to be cruel, but it's now possible to do better and that's what we should be aiming for.

See my post here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406804&page=3&p=43566086#post43566086

If similar rules were brought in to the UK, this wouldn't really affect the halal market

Original post by Martyn*
Ritual slaughter is barbaric, and has no place in a civilised society. Battery farming is a different issue. Sure, battery farming is cruel and barbaric too, but we are talking about killing animals for human consumption and the methods used, not the conditions in which animals are kept. That is a different issue.

Seriously. Can you not read?
Reply 93
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Again, I'm not sure about Kosher, in here in the UK (as de-mones pointed out) the majority of halal meat uses a stun. Thus if such a law were to be passed in the UK, only a fraction of the halal meat would become illegal. The halal meat that does use the stun is still considered halal.

It depends on the stunning method used, if it is one where the actual stunning kills the animal then it is haram, however if the stunning makes the animal unconscious then it is halal as it can have its throat slit while it's alive.

And the percentage of halal slaughter in the UK that uses this method is over 90%. I cannot remember the specific number for kosher but it was much lower.

Which really makes me wonder why all this 'huhah' is made out of halal meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
See my post here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406804&page=3&p=43566086#post43566086

If similar rules were brought in to the UK, this wouldn't really affect the halal market

Seriously. Can you not read?

Unless you can explain what you mean, I detect a logical fallacy approaching from you.
Original post by Martyn*
Unless you can explain what you mean, I detect a logical fallacy approaching from you.

You're against the methods used, and the methods used are pretty much the same as per non halal meat. I quoted you in earlier here:

So if you are against those methods, well you're against eating meat altogether. Fair enough if that's the case. If not, then well you're just a hypocrite
Good, this practise is ****ing disgusting.

Religion of peace.
Reply 97
Original post by Sextus
Suppressing freedom of expression is not 'good' in my eyes. Broadly speaking

Agreed. If it genuinely is because of animal rights, fair enough. I don't think the practice should be exempt just because it's religious.

But it's a whole different matter if the real reason it has been banned is just to suppress people practising their religion.
Reply 98
See my post here:

It's good that most Halal slaughter currently utilises stunning, but I don't see an argument for continuing to allow the 12% or so that doesn't.
personally I agree with the people who say that if you eat meat then you have no right to give a damn about how it's been killed - if you really cared for it's wellbeing you wouldn't eat meat in the first place.

If Poland really does outlaw halal/kosher meat, then it's just gonna add to the anti-Islamic feeling that the world is going through at the moment... and lets be honest, is it really a good thing alienating muslims even more than they currently are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending