The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
PS used to be 50%, whereas academics was 42% with UKCAT at 8%.

Since they dont interview youd expect PS to be atleast 50% and academics 15% this year..

Man i wish they still kept last years scoring.. I think its st. andrews over edinburgh, as much as i dont want to say it.

But hey after the 3rd year transfer i think edinburgh is included, so could all work out.
Original post by Chi-
Since they dont interview youd expect PS to be atleast 50% and academics 15% this year..

Man i wish they still kept last years scoring.. I think its st. andrews over edinburgh, as much as i dont want to say it.

But hey after the 3rd year transfer i think edinburgh is included, so could all work out.

I was complaining to our neurology professor about that the other day (15% is a bit low for academics, though. I'd go higher and then take out the SJT considerations and give UKCAT 15%). He made two points that he thinks Edinburgh might be more concerned about turning out competent molecular scientists than competent clinicians; and the second that you could essentially make medical admissions random and get the exact same results as you are now with the current admissions framework. :lol:

We're partnered with the clinical transfer from St Andrews, yep!
Reply 382
What do we know about how Edinburgh uses the UKCAt apart from whats on their website?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nono55
What do we know about how Edinburgh uses the UKCAt apart from whats on their website?

UKCAT is getting 20% of the overall score. Scoring is given by splitting applicants into quartiles. In the case where many borderline applicants have the same application score, then individual UKCAT score is used to help differentiate between candidates to decide whom to give offers.
Reply 384
Hi guys,
Does anyone know what they want in the "additional information" for graduate applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
I really want to do medicine at Edinburgh but i'm not sure if i realistically have a shot.

I'm applying from Northern Ireland and I have 5A*'s and 5A's at GCSE, 692.5 in the UKCAT and 4A's at A-level.

If extra curricular stuff matters at all then i do loads of things. I run cross country for school, Gaelic football for school and home town, i'm a qualified IFA referee, i have grade 7 violin and grade 8 piano as well as playing ukulele and guitar, i do the duke of edinburgh award and volunteer at St john's ambulance, my local hospital (south west acute hospital) and at a special needs school.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 386
If I am applying to Edinburgh medicine, can I apply to another Edinburgh course as well? It would be my backup as a fifth application. Do I have to send all my choices till 15th or just medicine? Thank you! Good luck to you all :smile:
can anyone help me in uploading my CV and reference and Finanical guarantee letter to the edinburgh EUCLID portal?
I really dont know how to, and there is no dedicated document uploading section.
Original post by Gretka
If I am applying to Edinburgh medicine, can I apply to another Edinburgh course as well? It would be my backup as a fifth application. Do I have to send all my choices till 15th or just medicine? Thank you! Good luck to you all :smile:

Yes you can apply for another course at Edinburgh, but it is worth noting that if you are unsuccessful for medicine, Edinburgh may consider you for Medical Sciences or another related course.

You just have to submit your Medicine application by the 15th, and can add another choice later on.
Hello, I've just one question regarding the English language requirements for the course...I have not done any language test and seeing that it is a requirement for the course, it makes me wonder whether my application will just be rejected as a result of that?
Original post by FilanaPaprika
Hello, I've just one question regarding the English language requirements for the course...I have not done any language test and seeing that it is a requirement for the course, it makes me wonder whether my application will just be rejected as a result of that?

I can't remember exactly, but I think you're asked to sit one before you're allowed to matriculate. You might want to ask admissions just to make sure. :smile:
Reply 391
Original post by Asklepios
Yes you can apply for another course at Edinburgh, but it is worth noting that if you are unsuccessful for medicine, Edinburgh may consider you for Medical Sciences or another related course.

You just have to submit your Medicine application by the 15th, and can add another choice later on.

Thank you!! I was asking because I was thinking about applying to biomedical sciences :rolleyes:

So does this mean that even if I've only applied to Edinburgh for medicine I could (if unsuccessful :frown: ) get an offer for another course? If so that is awesome!
Original post by Dr. Django
So does this mean that even if I've only applied to Edinburgh for medicine I could (if unsuccessful :frown: ) get an offer for another course? If so that is awesome!

Depends on competition and how good your app is, but they sometimes ask you if you'd like to be considered for other courses they're offering, yep.
Those changes seem a bit odd! Last year's system seemed fairer...or maybe I'm only saying that as a fresher that got in with the old system :smile:
Original post by Runninghigh
Those changes seem a bit odd! Last year's system seemed fairer...or maybe I'm only saying that as a fresher that got in with the old system :smile:

Yeah, there's a lot of scepticism about the new policy. But medical admissions isn't something that uni's **** around with, and it's a decision that will have been made by the committee after careful consideration and review of the present literature. Personally, I suspect they'll change it next year or the year after that again!

Hope you're enjoying first year? :h:
Yeah, medical admissions is a tough job!

So far it's been great - medical sciences have been the best! I'm not liking HES as much, and that's the same for most people. I'm really enjoying being away from home and having some independence
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Yeah, there's a lot of scepticism about the new policy. But medical admissions isn't something that uni's **** around with, and it's a decision that will have been made by the committee after careful consideration and review of the present literature. Personally, I suspect they'll change it next year or the year after that again!

Hope you're enjoying first year? :h:

I wouldn't be surprised if they started interviewing soon tbh.

Fresher eh? Need to work out who this is :ninja: Psyched for tomorrow's ''exam?'' :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

I said the exact same thing a few pages ago!
Yeah, medical admissions is a tough job!

So far it's been great - medical sciences have been the best! I'm not liking HES as much, and that's the same for most people. I'm really enjoying being away from home and having some independence

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Personally, I was a bit bored by a lot of the first semester (especially whereabouts yous are the now - genetics and cell biology stuff), but it gets way better as time goes on. year 2 > year 1 sem 2 > year 1 sem 1. :tongue:

Very few people like HES. HES in semester 2 is actually worse than HES in semester 1...so relish it as you have it now, because this is as good as it gets. :biggrin:

Or maybe an online questionnaire like Nottingham's?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending