The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KitKat123
I've applied to medicine here, and I'm in love with it! My only concern is that I'm from NI and I've heard they like to take mostly scots which is making me worried!
My stats are good; 11A*, AAAA and 762.5 in UKCAT

The wait to march is going to kill me:frown:

For last year, out of 190 Home/EU places, 107 were Scottish/Other EU and 83 were Rest of UK. Bearing in mind, there are considerably more Scottish/EU applicants than RUK, you won't be at any disadvantage. In fact, in our year there are quite a lot of NI students.
Reply 581
Oh good; made me feel better - I thought they'd give all the scots preference!!

I got band 1 and applied to Newcastle, Cambridge and Queens!! Wby?
Original post by Asklepios
Not every second year is as ethical as you when it comes to forcing drink down our throats

Asking to be stapled is hardly a 'law breaking decision.'

Reasonably accurate :s-smilie:

No, but intentionally pouring your drink over the DJ's Macbook Air is definitely illegal. :colonhash:

Original post by h3isenberg
Someone told me today that Edinburgh only gives around 30 places for English students, can anyone clarify?

It's nearly triple that. Someone's talking *******s.

Why does everyone seem to think Edinburgh hates the English?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
No, but intentionally pouring your drink over the DJ's Macbook Air is definitely illegal. :colonhash:

It's nearly triple that. Someone's talking *******s.

Why does everyone seem to think Edinburgh hates the English?

LOL These people saying Edinburgh is all 'anti-English' have clearly never been to Edinburgh
Original post by KitKat123
Oh good; made me feel better - I thought they'd give all the scots preference!!

I got band 1 and applied to Newcastle, Cambridge and Queens!! Wby?

Nice, I think you'll get 34/34 and then its just /6 for ps for final score /40!!!

I applied to Newcastle, Leeds and Leicester :smile: BMAT scared me
LOL These people saying Edinburgh is all 'anti-English' have clearly never been to Edinburgh

What do they expect is going on?
"OH I KNOW WHAT WOULD BE BRILLIANT. IF WE REFUSED TO GIVE PLACES TO THE STUDENTS WILLING TO GIVE US £45,000."

As if.
Reply 586
Another Edinburgh 2nd year here, stalking this thread instead of doing my work (scaring me how much cleverer the new applicants are compared to where I was in sixth form btw)

Just wanted to point out Edinburgh is DEFINITELY not anti-English. Don't know if it's been mentioned earlier, but RUK applicants should look into the RUK bursary. Depending on parental income Edinburgh can give you up to £7000 a year for being your fabulous non-Scottish selves. For me anyway it meant it was much cheaper to study in Edinburgh than in England despite the fact I pay fees.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-funding/undergraduate/uk-eu/bursaries/ruk

ps I loved HES. I miss it. :frown:
Hi

if I got 9A*'s and a B how many points will get in the GCSE section?

thanks
Original post by Rickysheena
Hi

if I got 9A*'s and a B how many points will get in the GCSE section?

thanks

It depends what the B is in. If the B is in Biology or Chemistry, the you will score 2/10 for GCSEs. If the B is in another subject, then you will score 4/10.
Omg so I only get 4 points even though I got 9 A*'s aswell
Original post by Rickysheena
Omg so I only get 4 points even though I got 9 A*'s aswell

Harsh but I'm afraid that's how it is. You can only get the points for >7A*s if your best 10 GCSEs are all at A/A*.
Right so that's my application out of the window ffs
Out of curiosity, if I took 8 GCSEs in Year 11 and 3 GCSEs earlier, would only those 8 count? (11 A*s)

Would this affect borderline comparisons? (Since I'm international)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blobblecats
Out of curiosity, if I took 8 GCSEs in Year 11 and 3 GCSEs earlier, would only those 8 count? (11 A*s)

Would this affect borderline comparisons? (Since I'm international)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put something, then realised I was talking rubbish, so just ignore me...
(edited 10 years ago)
Harsh but I'm afraid that's how it is. You can only get the points for >7A*s if your best 10 GCSEs are all at A/A*.

dayum that's harsh!! wow
Original post by Dr. Django
dayum that's harsh!! wow

Good news for you though. Less close competition innit

That's what I was thinking too; I'm an atrocious human being.
Reply 597
Original post by MrSupernova
That's what I was thinking too; I'm an atrocious human being.

I'm a bit of an atrocious person as well then for constantly stalking the applicants thread/article for new competition... :wink:

And I won't deny grinning like an idiot when I see someone with lower UKCAT scores/predictions. As well as a lot of angry screaming when another person rolls in with >750 UKCAT scores.... :redface:

Tbh, in this waiting period, I think we all get a little bit on edge :s-smilie:
Original post by Ceryni
I'm a bit of an atrocious person as well then for constantly stalking the applicants thread/article for new competition... :wink:

And I won't deny grinning like an idiot when I see someone with lower UKCAT scores/predictions. As well as a lot of angry screaming when another person rolls in with >750 UKCAT scores.... :redface:

Tbh, in this waiting period, I think we all get a little bit on edge :s-smilie:

To be fair, if the cutoff for the 1st quartile is 747.5, there's no difference between the score for getting 750 and the score for getting 900! I've just put it out of my mind tbh... One of the reasons I applied to Edinburgh (as well as liking the look of the place and the course :colondollar:) was the admissions process; the idea of applying and then not having to do anything more appealed to me a lot

True :tongue:, but its gutting when you see someone who may have 'wasted' an option :/

And equally crazy to think that my results are practically the same yet get 10/10 rather than 2!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending