The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Questions

Hiya

What is the timetable like for neuroscience and is there a reading list?

What is freshers week like?

Is anything already provided in ensuite accommodation?

What do the flat numbers mean in james baillie?

Thanks in advance :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi

Thanks for the questions!

Neuroscience
Your timetable will vary, depending on which modules and electives you choose. You'll be sent information on reading lists and timetables towards the end of August. Usually each module has one or maybe two core texts that you'd benefit from having your own copy of, these are usually explained in your introductory lectures. Our libraries have multiple copies of other popular texts, with a range of loan periods (from the standard loan down to four or even one hour!) plus reference copies.

Freshers Week
My (slightly distant!) memories of freshers week is that it goes too fast! :smile: There's lots of things for you to do and get involved in, from moving into your Halls and getting to know your new flatmates, to introductory lectures and things like library and lab inductions. You'll also have to pick up your student card, and try a bit of everything that Leeds University Union has to offer. They'll be running a whole range of activities, from the societies fairs to club nights, and everything in-between. It's also a chance for you to explore the city of Leeds, and get your bearings!

Accommodation
When your accommodation is confirmed (at the end of August), you'll complete eIntro which is our on-line accommodation introduction. This will detail what is and isn't included in your accommodation. For your room you'll need to provide things like bedding and towels. The kitchens vary from residence to residence, but we provide the big stuff (cookers, fridges, freezers, microwaves, kettles), but you'll need to provide pots, pans, crockery and cutlery.

Flat Numbers in James Baillie
The flat numbers in James Baillie (and Central Village) work a bit differently to in other residences in that you can’t tell the block or the floor from the flat number. They start at flat 1 (which will be on the ground floor of A block) and work their way up the block and then move onto the ground floor of B etc etc. So if you’re in flat 21 (for example), flat 22 may be on the same floor, the floor above, or possibly in the next block. We do give you the block letter in your contract as well so at least you will know who’s in your block.

Then you will have a letter after the flat number and this will be your room, so for example, 106F will be one of 6 rooms in flat 106 and 106A will be in the same flat. 107B will be fairly close by but, as I said, it might be upstairs.

If there is no letter after your flat number, (so it’s just 203 (for example)), then this means it’s a studio.

I hope that helps!

Amanda
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hiya
Thanks for the reply that was very helpful

I cant remember if my flat had a number after it or not so What are the studio flats like?

:-)
Hi

The studio flats are really spacious - here's the link to the photo gallery for the whole hall, there's two photos of a studio flat on there: http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/galleries/gallery/19/james_baillie_park

Amanda

Quick Reply

Latest