The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bustabust
i understand but i simply would not be able to go if i did not work

is there work available if one needs it? i have not been yet so have no idea of the size of the place

thanks

The people I knew who desperately had to work did find jobs.

Bear in mind the 4 month summer holiday leaves vast potential for earning money to supplement the rest of the year without risking compromising your studies.
Reply 61
I will be applying here!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by g.k.galloway
I will be applying here!!!! :biggrin:

Good choice :smile: you going to go to the openday ?
Reply 63
Original post by t()m
Good choice :smile: you going to go to the openday ?

unfortunately I can't make the open day but I've been to St. Andrews before :smile: (I used to live in Scotland)

maybe you can tell me about it afterwards :smile:
Reply 64
Hi Guys, I wish us all good luck in this years application. :smile::smile:

I'm considering applying to St Andrews as one of my choices however, a few things are worrying me. Can you guys lend me your opinions too? (im a 3rd time applicant to UCAS now:frown: / already had one gap year-taking my 2nd one pretty much now)

on their website they say:
1. From experience of applications in previous years it would appear that to be competitive, applicants with A Levels require a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (to include Maths and Sciences) and predictions of A*AA at A level.
---
The academic score for applicants with predicted grades will not be as high as that for those with obtained qualifications.
I have 9 A grades at GCSE (includes the maths and science), but have for A Levels AAAa(bio,chem,maths,physics respectively), which are achieved rather than being the predictions of A*AA (predictions wouldnt apply to me now,)
do you guys know how strong I would be? -my other grades are 1.5A*s and 1B.

2. Firstly we set a cut off for the overall UKCAT score and applicants obtaining a score below that will not be considered for interview or a medical place.
I sat my UKCAT today and got Overall 2880 however, my VR score was 570..:frown:. Although the quote above from their website doesnt mention anything about sub sections being cut off, do you guys know anything about this pls?

I will also be sending an email to them too :smile:.

Thanks guys!!
Hi, I am just wondering if I am a strong enough applicant to get in to medical school.

I got 8 1s and a 2 at Standard Grade level and I got 5As in my highers this year in three sciences, maths and English. I'm doing 3 Advanced Highers this year in the sciences and the science baccalaureate.

I have 4 weeks relevant work experience. 2 weeks in a hospital, 1 week in a GPs and one week in a care home. I work as a domestic and volunteer in a hospital. I help out in my schools ASN department and worked for a summer in a charity shop.

The thing that's really worrying me is my ukcat. I got 672.5 on average and from what I can see everyone seems to be doing really good this year, so mine is comparatively low.

I know this is a lot to read and everyone seems to post big slabs of text like this but if anyone can be bothered to read it and help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Kate
Reply 66
Am I able to apply with AAAA predictions, or will I need A*AAA/A*AA? I don't know what my predicted grades are yet, but I got AAAAB at AS level (the B was 3 UMS off an A). I also got 732.5 in the UKCAT. I've been told not to apply by my head of sixth form because I'm a RUK applicant and apparently it's more competitive :frown:
Reply 67
Original post by katherine96
Hi, I am just wondering if I am a strong enough applicant to get in to medical school.

I got 8 1s and a 2 at Standard Grade level and I got 5As in my highers this year in three sciences, maths and English. I'm doing 3 Advanced Highers this year in the sciences and the science baccalaureate.

I have 4 weeks relevant work experience. 2 weeks in a hospital, 1 week in a GPs and one week in a care home. I work as a domestic and volunteer in a hospital. I help out in my schools ASN department and worked for a summer in a charity shop.

The thing that's really worrying me is my ukcat. I got 672.5 on average and from what I can see everyone seems to be doing really good this year, so mine is comparatively low.

I know this is a lot to read and everyone seems to post big slabs of text like this but if anyone can be bothered to read it and help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Kate

Your academics seem great Katherine. As long as you are predicted the minimum requirements, the rest of your already achieved grades will play to your strengths seeing as St. Andrews is 50% academic assessed. Your UKCAT is fine :smile:, it is around what the last cycle of those holding offers obtained. TSR is biased beyond compare so know and believe that your academics, PS/reference are a very important part of the St. Andrews application too...not just the UKCAT (15% of the total score). Good luck! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone know what the interview:redface:ffer ratio is like?
If you wouldn't mind me troubling you all for a few questions!

1). I'm a school leaver from England. Is it true places for 'Rest of UK' applicants are limited at St. Andrews? Will I have a lesser chance of gaining an offer on the grounds I am from England?

2). How important is it to have a A*AA prediction. I got four A's at As in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths as well as 4 A*s, 5 A's and a B at GCSE (A*'s in Sciences + Maths). Sat my UKCAT today and got an average of 765. Would this be deemed an 'academically competitive' application.

Please just give honest answers, don't bother worrying about my feelings or anything:wink:

Thanks a lot in advance, good luck to all my fellow 2014 applicants!
Applying here this year! St Andrews is my first choice, fingers crossed!:smile:
Original post by science-oliver
Does anyone know what the interview:redface:ffer ratio is like?

On their website it say they interview about 500 people, and at the open day they told me last year they gave out almost 300 offers. So the ratios pretty good!
Reply 72
I'm currently considering whether to apply to St. Andrews; any opinions on whether 715 UKCAT average will be good enough to apply?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MedicalMike
If you wouldn't mind me troubling you all for a few questions!

1). I'm a school leaver from England. Is it true places for 'Rest of UK' applicants are limited at St. Andrews? Will I have a lesser chance of gaining an offer on the grounds I am from England?

2). How important is it to have a A*AA prediction. I got four A's at As in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths as well as 4 A*s, 5 A's and a B at GCSE (A*'s in Sciences + Maths). Sat my UKCAT today and got an average of 765. Would this be deemed an 'academically competitive' application.

Please just give honest answers, don't bother worrying about my feelings or anything:wink:

Thanks a lot in advance, good luck to all my fellow 2014 applicants!

1) My year group seems to be roughly 1/3rd Scottish, 1/3rd RUK and 1/3rd International, so no.

2) Fairly important as it is stated on their website that it's needed to be 'competitive', but your GCSEs are fine and you have an excellent UKCAT. Any possibility of getting an A*AA prediction? As far as I'm aware the standard offer is still AAA so I don't think you'd be at risk of getting a higher offer.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
1) My year group seems to be roughly 1/3rd Scottish, 1/3rd RUK and 1/3rd International, so no.

2) Fairly important as it is stated on their website that it's needed to be 'competitive', but your GCSEs are fine and you have an excellent UKCAT. Any possibility of getting an A*AA prediction? As far as I'm aware the standard offer is still AAA so I don't think you'd be at risk of getting a higher offer.

1 - Thanks a lot!

2 - Yeah I was wondering how badly it would work against me... A*AA prediction isn't on the cards to be honest as my highest UMS was 258/300 :/ Looks like the dream of St. Andrews will remain a dream, my application obviously has a better chance elsewhere, (no. 1 priority is getting in for me aha).

Thanks a lot for the help answering that, good luck to everyone else!
Yes, full-body dissection :smile: If you get an interview you'll be shown the dissection room (maybe at an open day, I'm not sure - never went).

I believe the university allows you to book individual visits, but they're only Monday - Friday. I'm not sure how seeing the Medical School would work if you did that. Perhaps send a speculative email?

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the pathways. I believe the Scottish one is more competitive than the Manchester one, but I don't know how this will change now there's a Barts option as well. This year I got offered a place on the Barts route, having originally applied for the Scottish one.

Their website is rather more informative than their prospectus - http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#

What kind of grades are competitive for GCSE?
Reply 76
Original post by letsbehonest
What kind of grades are competitive for GCSE?

Hi mate

If you go on http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#
then under 'what are the entry requirements' ---> click on ---> 'competitive academic requirements'

and you will find:
From experience of applications in previous years it would appear that to be competitive, applicants with A Levels require a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (to include Maths and Sciences) to be taken at one sitting and predictions of A*AA at A level.
Scottish applicants should offer Credit 1 at Standard Grade (or Intermediate 2, grade A or B) in Maths and Sciences, a minimum of AAAAB at Higher and at least 2 A grade predictions for S6 study in either new Highers or Advanced Highers. 3 subjects in S6 should be studied; a mix of (Advanced Highers and new Highers will be considered.

Hope that answers your query :smile::smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by o990
Hi mate

If you go on http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#
then under 'what are the entry requirements' ---> click on ---> 'competitive academic requirements'

and you will find:
From experience of applications in previous years it would appear that to be competitive, applicants with A Levels require a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (to include Maths and Sciences) to be taken at one sitting and predictions of A*AA at A level.
Scottish applicants should offer Credit 1 at Standard Grade (or Intermediate 2, grade A or B) in Maths and Sciences, a minimum of AAAAB at Higher and at least 2 A grade predictions for S6 study in either new Highers or Advanced Highers. 3 subjects in S6 should be studied; a mix of (Advanced Highers and new Highers will be considered.

Hope that answers your query :smile::smile:

I think I should have phrased it as what are the typical grades that people get at gcse and got offers?

I got 5A* 4As at GCSE
AAAA at AS
A*A*A Prediction

695 in my ukcat

Are my stats comparable to people who have got interviews in the past?

I know PS/reference is looked at too and interview scores are added
Original post by letsbehonest
I think I should have phrased it as what are the typical grades that people get at gcse and got offers?

I got 5A* 4As at GCSE
AAAA at AS
A*A*A Prediction

695 in my ukcat

Are my stats comparable to people who have got interviews in the past?

I know PS/reference is looked at too and interview scores are added

I'm afraid that I only know so much as what the website says, as I'm not on the admissions panel. However your stats look fine to me.
I'm afraid that I only know so much as what the website says, as I'm not on the admissions panel. However your stats look fine to me.

Okay! Thanks ;D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending