The Student Room Group

Royal Mail Christmas Jobs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by MrTruthSeeker

There was no damn canteen to sit in, it was my first day!
Reply 581
Weekend night shifts have messed up my sleeping patterns so much!

People that sort letters.. How are your backs taking it?! I finally recover by Thursday and then it's back to work again :redface:

I also got taxed when I shouldn't have and got paid a lot less than some of the other people here...
Reply 582
My body is aching! My sleeping pattern is messed up aswell, I need sleep but I've got college. :frown:

I don't do nights tho, I do 9am-7pm.
Original post by kizzz!
Weekend night shifts have messed up my sleeping patterns so much!

People that sort letters.. How are your backs taking it?! I finally recover by Thursday and then it's back to work again :redface:

I also got taxed when I shouldn't have and got paid a lot less than some of the other people here...

I was offered overtime (Saturday 10pm to 6am) and also applied for it but am glad I didn't get it. A weekends rest has done me good and I'm feeling good for the final full week ahead!

Final finish days are circulating through the grapevine with majority going for 23/24 finish but some maintaining that there is a strong chance of a callback after 25th.
Original post by envoke
I forget what the hourly rate is i believe its minimum wage, it works out for your shift at around £238 after tax per week dependant on how much tax you'll be paying obviously and if you do any over time.

Hi Thanks for the reply :smile:

Can you tell me how you have worked it out? I'm not sure how much tax I should be paying tbh :s-smilie: I only worked 3 days last week and only planned to do 4 days this week
The job is pretty easy and not tiring at all really unless you are working overtime. I do seven Or eight hour shifts on parcels, it's boring but the seven hours shifts are fine. Does anyone know if many people get kept on? I know from talking to someone that some people are asked too, don't think I will as I'm not friendly with the manager.
Original post by Pip123321
The job is pretty easy and not tiring at all really unless you are working overtime. I do seven Or eight hour shifts on parcels, it's boring but the seven hours shifts are fine. Does anyone know if many people get kept on? I know from talking to someone that some people are asked too, don't think I will as I'm not friendly with the manager.

If you mean permanently then highly unlikely as that's how Royal Mail operate. They have a large number of casuals on their books who they pay low salaries. That's why its quite a sought after role on a permanent basis. The postal services in Germany and France operate in a similar way with far fewer permanent staff than temps.
When and how is everyone getting paid? And how do I stop being emergency taxed? I think I'll be getting emergency taxed because I've never had a job before.
Reply 588
Original post by beary.bear
When and how is everyone getting paid? And how do I stop being emergency taxed? I think I'll be getting emergency taxed because I've never had a job before.

I'm getting paid every Friday a week in arrears into my bank account. If you're emergency taxed (i was) you should call up HMRC and they'll sort out your correct tax code over the phone, mine was sorted a few days later and i was payed back what i was owed into my wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haydospunter
If you mean permanently then highly unlikely as that's how Royal Mail operate. They have a large number of casuals on their books who they pay low salaries. That's why its quite a sought after role on a permanent basis. The postal services in Germany and France operate in a similar way with far fewer permanent staff than temps.

A guy I know says the pay goes up to ten pounds an hour after three months even as a agency casual. Is this true
Reply 590
Original post by Pip123321
A guy I know says the pay goes up to ten pounds an hour after three months even as a agency casual. Is this true

This is correct as I have pervious experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemmegg
I'm getting paid every Friday a week in arrears into my bank account. If you're emergency taxed (i was) you should call up HMRC and they'll sort out your correct tax code over the phone, mine was sorted a few days later and i was payed back what i was owed into my wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you didn't call up royal mail? Just HMRC? When you started did you give royal mail a form? I've been told I should of given them a starter statement form but they didn't ask for one. What did you say when you called them? This job is my first job ever so I'm a little confused.

Btw is the emergency tax code OT/1?
Sorry for all the questions! :smile:
Reply 592
So you didn't call up royal mail? Just HMRC? When you started did you give royal mail a form? I've been told I should of given them a starter statement form but they didn't ask for one. What did you say when you called them? This job is my first job ever so I'm a little confused.

I had that tax code too, i wasn't told about filling out anything other than a p46 which i did but i still got given that tax code because they needed more information.

When i rang HMRC i was taken to an automated thing where i had to state why i was calling, i said wrong tax code and they put me through to someone, i explained that i was given the wrong tax code and they said that they'd change it, send me and my employer the letter of the change and pay what i was owed into my wages.

It was really easy to sort, took no more than 5 minutes. You will need you national insurance number but yeah, the sooner you ring them and sort it the sooner you'll get your money back! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593

Oh, also just to add to my previous comment, no i didn't have to ring Royal Mail up, i sorted it all through HMRC. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemmegg
Oh, also just to add to my previous comment, no i didn't have to ring Royal Mail up, i sorted it all through HMRC. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help. I called them up, fingers crossed I get my money back soon!
Reply 595
Thanks for your help. I called them up, fingers crossed I get my money back soon!

No problem! It only took 3 days to get mine back so hopefully not too long for you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you just hand in a cv or application form to the local office to be considered as a Xmas Temp with Royal Mail?

How long before they make contact with regards to my application?
Original post by MrLoverLover1888
Do you just hand in a cv or application form to the local office to be considered as a Xmas Temp with Royal Mail?

How long before they make contact with regards to my application?

They replied to mine at 9am on the following morning.
Finished 2 days ago those 3 weeks flew by! How did you guys find it?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Finished 2 days ago those 3 weeks flew by! How did you guys find it?

I found it boring but most unskilled jobs are , however it was definitely better than being unemployed and saving some money. I got told I could stay on with angard and they'd call,I'm hoping they do call me though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending