The Student Room Group

Royal Mail Christmas Jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jay_em
So it would be ok to apply through Angard now as well as the Royal Mail website application I sent in?

Apply for everyone you can find! Actually Angard might give you p/time work through the tear. Year even.
Original post by Garshin
Apply for everyone you can find! Actually Angard might give you p/time work through the tear. Year even.

Right, thanks very much for the advice.
Original post by Silence_Will_Fal
I got my welcome pack through today - they have me down as 'Mr xx' :unimpressed:.. it's supposed to be 'Miss' :L.. anyway do I call them up and get it changed or does it not matter apart from the fact they have me as male haha!

When do you start work? I got an email last Monday telling me to make sure I read through the welcome pack before my first shift but I still haven't received it and I start work on the 30th
Original post by lucyrg1995x
When do you start work? I got an email last Monday telling me to make sure I read through the welcome pack before my first shift but I still haven't received it and I start work on the 30th

I got the welcome pack last week I think it was. I start on the 30th too. I'd say if you don't have it within the next few days, maybe phone up?
I got the welcome pack last week I think it was. I start on the 30th too. I'd say if you don't have it within the next few days, maybe phone up?

Welcome pack? I start tonight and dont have a welcome pack? What is it? I'm working in MDEC, are you all Mail Sorting?

Original post by lolita97
Welcome pack? I start tonight and dont have a welcome pack? What is it? I'm working in MDEC, are you all Mail Sorting?

It just tell you what you need to do beforehand, pay dates etcetc. There was a tax form too that you needed to return. Good luck for tonight! Let me know how you get on. I'm mail sorting, whats MDEC?
Reply 1186

I'm starting tonight in MDEC too and I'm fairly sure I haven't received a welcome pack either, I'll have to have another look through my emails.
It just tell you what you need to do beforehand, pay dates etcetc. There was a tax form too that you needed to return. Good luck for tonight! Let me know how you get on. I'm mail sorting, whats MDEC?

Sounds like I filled that out in my third 'recruitment event', MDEC is manual data entry centre! (Basically type in postcodes for 8 hours)

I start at 9:30 and finish at 6am, woo hoo!
Original post by tzmouk
I'm starting tonight in MDEC too and I'm fairly sure I haven't received a welcome pack either, I'll have to have another look through my emails.

What area? Good luck!
Reply 1189
What area? Good luck!

Thanks you too! It's the Doxford Park branch 9.15pm sharp!

I checked on the FAQ about this kind of job and they said Welcome Packs are sent out periodically and it doesn't matter if you haven't received one before you start.
Original post by tzmouk
Thanks you too! It's the Doxford Park branch 9.15pm sharp!

I checked on the FAQ about this kind of job and they said Welcome Packs are sent out periodically and it doesn't matter if you haven't received one before you start.

Thanks!

That's a relief, did worry me!

Do you know the protocol on belongings? Didn't know if you were told about where we're storing our bag, coat etc! (Basically don't want to turn up with a bag and coat in my hand and no where to put it haha)
Reply 1191
Thanks!

That's a relief, did worry me!

Do you know the protocol on belongings? Didn't know if you were told about where we're storing our bag, coat etc! (Basically don't want to turn up with a bag and coat in my hand and no where to put it haha)

Are you at the same place?

I have pretty much no idea what's going to happen, it's all been a bit rushed. I've had a "one on one" interview whereby it was just a nice old man going through my forms and I signed some documents. Then about 5 days later I had to head in to the lobby to sign my contract and answer those 5 questions. Then training starts tonight. I haven't had an assessment or anything like what some have on this thread.

I'm taking a bag though with my dinner/tea/breakfast whenever the break is ha, a flask of coffee, pro plus and some water in it. Whether we're allowed any of it who knows.

I'm pretty much playing tonight by ear.
Personal Bags are not permitted within Royal Mail.
Reply 1193
Original post by PopeFrancis92
Personal Bags are not permitted within Royal Mail.

Cheers, that changes things. I'll probably just keep it in the car, or are there lockers available?
Original post by tzmouk
Cheers, that changes things. I'll probably just keep it in the car, or are there lockers available?

There is no car parking available or lockers available for casuals.

I am a Royal Mail employee.
Original post by PopeFrancis92
There is no car parking available or lockers available for casuals.

I am a Royal Mail employee.

Are you trolling? If you aren't I'm effed
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lucyrg1995x
Are you trolling? If you aren't I'm effed

I'm deadly serious. At my place of work, Casuals are not permitted lockers or car parking.
Sounds like I filled that out in my third 'recruitment event', MDEC is manual data entry centre! (Basically type in postcodes for 8 hours)

I start at 9:30 and finish at 6am, woo hoo!

I got mine through the post. I wanted night shifts but they didn't have any left so I took the late one instead. Mon-Sat 2.30 - 9.30. Bit late now, but hope it goes well!
First shift finished - for any of you in MDEC, it's SO boring!

I have three shifts training, so Friday is my last training shift, got to admit half of the work is SO easy, yet the other half is rather complex, still trying to figure it all out. If anyone needs answers about the first shift or job let me know.

PS - despite the persons comment above, I took my bag coat and scarf in (probably wouldn't have if I read that message before my shift) and there were coat hangers, and you are to store your bag under the desk so I don't know if that helps anyone who was just as worried as I was.

OH and there are passes you can get for the car park!

Now to sleep!
(edited 8 years ago)
I was told at my assessment day thingy that the RM I'm at there's no lockers or anything to store your valuables so either don't bring them in or keep your phone etc in your pockets. I think it depends where you work. There is coat hangers and stuff but they warned us if you are gonna put your bags there it's at your own discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending