The Student Room Group

Phd in different subject?

Hi

I will be graduating with an MChem next year and i'm thinking about potential phd's to go into. I was just wandering what kind of flexibility you have in choosing what field you go into. I was looking at some programmes in physics that have caught my eye but i don't know whether they will accept a chemistry graduate or not. As you may know they are different fields but with quite a great deal of overlap and i have studied many of the same fields (albeit in different amount of detail and with a different focus) as physics graduates.

I understand that i will be required to do some extra reading to catch up in some case but as you're already expected to do a large amount of research anyway i don't really see it as an issue for me. Also i am interested in the fields that i have already come across before and have some knowledge on and not ones that i have absolutely no clue about.

So what is the consensus? Are graduates expected to go only into the field they graduated in or is there some flexibility. Would a physics graduate be preferred over myself because of his/her background?

Thanks
Could you give us some examples of the fields you are interested in. I'm a physical chemist who has worked across the border with physics (I actually spent 2 years post-doccing in a physics department) so I can probably shed some light on your prospects here.
Reply 2
Hi Chemistboy. Thanks for your response.

At the moment I am mostly looking at two particular fields. Nuclear physics and Photon/Laser physics. Other less related areas have also caught my eye though such as particle physics and astrophysics. I am most likely going to be taking a year out of academia after i graduate so if I were to pursue these further i would take it upon myself to get myself up to scratch. However I don't know whether this would be enough to convince an academic if i didn't have an official physics degree.

I will have proved I can do research and study effectively by getting a first in chemistry so I think I have a good case as this shows potential.
Original post by nomad91
Hi Chemistboy. Thanks for your response.

At the moment I am mostly looking at two particular fields. Nuclear physics and Photon/Laser physics. Other less related areas have also caught my eye though such as particle physics and astrophysics. I am most likely going to be taking a year out of academia after i graduate so if I were to pursue these further i would take it upon myself to get myself up to scratch. However I don't know whether this would be enough to convince an academic if i didn't have an official physics degree.

I will have proved I can do research and study effectively by getting a first in chemistry so I think I have a good case as this shows potential.

I'd say you are going to struggle to get a PhD in those areas with a chemistry degree. There may be some limited options in photonics and astro (the latter would really be a phd in spectroscopy applied to starlight). You should really be looking at areas around condensed matter/solid state or surfaces/nanoscience if you want to move in to physics from chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by ChemistBoy
I'd say you are going to struggle to get a PhD in those areas with a chemistry degree. There may be some limited options in photonics and astro (the latter would really be a phd in spectroscopy applied to starlight). You should really be looking at areas around condensed matter/solid state or surfaces/nanoscience if you want to move in to physics from chemistry.

Hey. Yeah i can see how solid state chemistry is more related to chemistry. I am infact looking at joining a Nanoscience Doctoral training centre aswell either at manchester or cambridge.

However i have emailed a couple of academic staff and was told i would be able to pursue a PhD in those areas but i would just have to take a couple of extra taught modules in first year.
Original post by nomad91
However i have emailed a couple of academic staff and was told i would be able to pursue a PhD in those areas but i would just have to take a couple of extra taught modules in first year.

Well, if they are happy to accept you and you want to go for it then there isn't a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending