The Student Room Group

Releasing Clutch When Changing Gears

Lately, I have just been wondering if everyone changes gears exactly the way I do or not.

Just after changing the gears, I (very quickly) release half of the clutch, apply some gas, then slowly release the clutch upwards.

Occasionally I do not release the clutch enough before applying the gas and so some gas is wasted.

So, to sum it up:
Clutch fully down.
Change gear.
Clutch partially raised very quickly (not fully).
Gas pedal down whilst simultaneously lifting the clutch fully up very slowly.

Is this the method everyone uses or not?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just lift my foot fully off the clutch once the gear is changed but I couldn't tell you if it makes much difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
As long as I'm travelling at 3/4th gear, I usually change then release the whole thing quickly, especially when changing up. Changing down I break and do the same
Reply 3
Thanks, I will try release the clutch fully very quickly when travelling at 3rd/4th gear to see if the car jerks.

What about 5th gear?

If I change from 4th to 3rd gear while releasing the clutch very quickly, will it cause my car to jerk? I have been used to releasing the clutch slowly all the time, but I think I should know when I am allowed to release the clutch quickly to put less of a strain on my left leg.
Reply 4
Original post by Sayonara

If I change from 4th to 3rd gear while releasing the clutch very quickly, will it cause my car to jerk?

Almost certainly it will. Depending on your speed at the time, it could be quite a fierce jerk.
Reply 5
Clutch down
Change gear
Foot on gas
Release clutch
I still use your method, OP, because I'm still a new driver :redface:
I'm still hesitant of releasing the clutch quickly because once the car jerked and almost hit my house's wall :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Clutch down
Change gear
Foot on gas
Release clutch

When I release the clutch, I release it fast half way, put gas on while releasing the rest of the clutch very slowly. This lets me accelerate earlier.

I wonder if many people use this method because I was not told this and just picked it up as a habit. I guess I will need to ask my instructor if it is a bad habit or not.
Reply 8
When I release the clutch, I release it fast half way, put gas on while releasing the rest of the clutch very slowly. This lets me accelerate earlier.

I wonder if many people use this method because I was not told this and just picked it up as a habit. I guess I will need to ask my instructor if it is a bad habit or not.

I'm the other way around, I only minimally take it off at the beginning, then the rest too quickly so it's a bit jolty.
Reply 9
If the car's jumping, you're probably coming off the clutch too quickly or not applying enough gas.

If the car starts to slow down, you've probably not added enough gas, or you may be in too low a gear if you just wish to cruise on minimal power.

I usually bring it up sharply to the biting point (because I'm incredibly familiar with where that is on my car) and apply throttle ever so slightly, then bring the clutch up the rest of the way. I don't go past the biting point without a touch a throttle, but it only takes a little bit for the gear to change successfully. If you don't have enough gas, the car might start to slow down under engine braking, so just add a little bit. You can see this while stopped by pressing the throttle just a tad and watching the revs go up.

Note: I don't pause at any stage of this, with practice you'll be able to time it all into one fluid motion. You can move both feet at a slightly different speed because your brain has been trained to change gears.

The bit between fully releasing the clutch and adding the power is a grey area. On lower gears you may have to be a little gentler so you don't spin the wheels or zoom off, but higher gears can usually take greater throttle input whilst changing gears because those gears are less powerful. It's really down to experience from there.
Reply 10
Thanks, I will try release the clutch fully very quickly when travelling at 3rd/4th gear to see if the car jerks.
I have been used to releasing the clutch slowly all the time, but I think I should know when I am allowed to release the clutch quickly to put less of a strain on my left leg.

Be careful. Suppose you mis-select a gear, like engaging 2nd instead of 4th. If you release slowly, you'll notice the engine whine (and hopefully dip the clutch) quickly before much harm is done. If you snatch at the clutch, you'll turn a small mistake into a big one, possibly with dangerous consequences if you're being closely followed.

Properly planned gear changes should not be rushed. Clutch action should be the same with all gears, except 1st. Strain on your leg will be the least of your worries when you have to fork out to replace a knackered clutch.
Reply 11
Original post by Vitamin D
I just lift my foot fully off the clutch once the gear is changed but I couldn't tell you if it makes much difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Less wear and tear on the clutch :tongue:

Spoiler

I take my foot of the accerator, fully push down clutch, change gear, release clutch completely in a smooth fashion, apply accelerator/brake
If you match the revs with your speed (easier said than done and takes some learning) you can let the clutch out as quickly as you like and it'll be smooth. While you're still learning though just keep doing what you're doing and let the clutch out slowly, that way you can also modulate the gas pedal at the same time to balance everything out and make it as smooth as possible.
I wouldn't release the clutch too fast as I've asked my dad before in his Vauxhall Vectra what happens and he demonstrated releasing the clutch fast and the car rocked hard! After changing gears release the clutch gradually whilst simultaneously applying gas
Lately, I have just been wondering if everyone changes gears exactly the way I do or not.

Just after changing the gears, I (very quickly) release half of the clutch, apply some gas, then slowly release the clutch upwards.

Occasionally I do not release the clutch enough before applying the gas and so some gas is wasted.

So, to sum it up:
Clutch fully down.
Change gear.
Clutch partially raised very quickly (not fully).
Gas pedal down whilst simultaneously lifting the clutch fully up very slowly.

Is this the method everyone uses or not?

Yeah this is what I did. It makes driving smoother :h:
Original post by stephenhall97
I wouldn't release the clutch too fast as I've asked my dad before in his Vauxhall Vectra what happens and he demonstrated releasing the clutch fast and the car rocked hard! After changing gears release the clutch gradually whilst simultaneously applying gas

How did you find this thread :lol: Anyways, as I said in the post I made above 2 years ago, you can release the clutch as fast as you like if the revs and road speed are matched, even on a 13 year old 1.0L petrol as I've experienced. While you're learning, though, it's a good idea to tickle the gas peddle and bring the clutch up slowly and smoothly to avoid any jerks. Not very nice on the clutch to "slip" it like this, mind, but needs must.
I stumbled across it whilst looking through different forums didn't realize how old the post was :biggrin: that's fair enough to be honest all cars are different! I just found that no matter what if you release the clutch too fast whilst changing in my dads car it makes the car jump! Where as the car I did my lessons in, I think it was a 2014 Nissan Note, didn't jump at all no matter how fast you released the clutch all cars are different I suppose :biggrin:
I don't think it's wise to break a gear change movement down into all these tiny little steps - you should think of it as one fluid motion, and in time, you'll get a nice smooth shift every time.
Reply 19
hi there,when you are driving in gear 3 or 4 there is no need to release the clutch slowly.Only gear 1 and 2 are the gears which require slow release of the clutch.The real question is what really makes a car to jerk??Actually its the speed of a car versus the gear the car is moving in.For instance if im driving in gear 3 and i reduce my speed as slow as possible,the car will obviously because the speed of the car is not matching the gear im using.

Latest

Trending

Trending