The Student Room Group

1st year anniversary plans

It's coming up to mine and my girlfriends 1st year anniversary so I've been looking for ideas on the big day. Something I came across was a MAC photoshoot in London for a reduced price. Seen as she's obsessed with the brand and loves the make up I thought it was a brilliant idea so I began to look for train ticket prices down there, to my horror for the pair of us (on the weekend of October 26th) it would cost 150 quid and then there's spending money and hotels.

Basically I was wondering whether people thought it was worth spending that much, baring in mind I could make a decent weekend out of it, for a first year anniversary. It's just the fact that I can do a lot for her for much less even if the idea was such a good one

Any help will be great
Reply 1
I'd absolutely adore my boyfriend if he did the MAC trip but depends 100% whether you can afford it! Honestly, deep down, is she a keeper or just someone you're currently in-love with?

Not much help I'm aware but this is a decision you need to make by yourself!

Do you think she'd prefer it if you did a lot more (but cheaper)? Ask yourself any questions if in doubt.
Reply 2
Original post by blabbermonkey
Which city would you be travelling from just so we can suggest potentially cheaper modes of transport if there are any?

It would be from Hull to London
Is there a megabus from there? There is from Leeds so perhaps you could take the slightly more uncomfortable option to have a fab weekend. It also depends how old you are I think. If you're 17 with a part time job then that really is a lot of money and she shouldn't really expect more of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TJBeaver13
It's coming up to mine and my girlfriends 1st year anniversary so I've been looking for ideas on the big day. Something I came across was a MAC photoshoot in London for a reduced price. Seen as she's obsessed with the brand and loves the make up I thought it was a brilliant idea so I began to look for train ticket prices down there, to my horror for the pair of us (on the weekend of October 26th) it would cost 150 quid and then there's spending money and hotels.

Basically I was wondering whether people thought it was worth spending that much, baring in mind I could make a decent weekend out of it, for a first year anniversary. It's just the fact that I can do a lot for her for much less even if the idea was such a good one

Any help will be great

National Express it? http://coach.nationalexpress.com/nxbooking/journey-list just looking at that. Takes a lot longer, but may be worth it :smile: if you're flexible with times, you can do it for £40 :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
That's a lot of money to spend so I guess the real question is... can you afford it? If so, go for it. If it'll be a struggle then find another option, something cheaper but just as nice. The MAC makeovers appear on deal sites fairly often and you've got them in Manchester and Birmingham too, which are a lot closer to you so would be a lot cheaper.

Check out megabus though (www.uk.megabus.com/) they do Hull to London on the coach, it'll take longer than the train but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. At the moment you can't search as far ahead as October apparently but a weekend in September could be as little as £32 return for the both of you, not each, but it is a 4 and half to five hour journey on a coach but they're pretty comfy now. If you were to get an early and late one you could just sleep on the coach and then it's not too bad.
Reply 6
Original post by Vanadesse
That's a lot of money to spend so I guess the real question is... can you afford it? If so, go for it. If it'll be a struggle then find another option, something cheaper but just as nice. The MAC makeovers appear on deal sites fairly often and you've got them in Manchester and Birmingham too, which are a lot closer to you so would be a lot cheaper.

Check out megabus though (www.uk.megabus.com/) they do Hull to London on the coach, it'll take longer than the train but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. At the moment you can't search as far ahead as October apparently but a weekend in September could be as little as £32 return for the both of you, not each, but it is a 4 and half to five hour journey on a coach but they're pretty comfy now. If you were to get an early and late one you could just sleep on the coach and then it's not too bad.

Been looking at it and it's looking at hotel prices as well which is the killer, looking at maybe doing it in a day. Which I've done before and it can be really nice especially as it's in covent garden
Reply 7
Its such a thoughtful idea, she is a lucky girl. Do it if you can afford it, there and back in a day is ok, you can nap on the bus if you need to. Don't spend more than you can afford to. Let us know how it goes :smile:
Reply 8
How expensive is too expensive? You can get a bed each in the dorms at the St Paul's Youth Hostel for £25 each. You wouldn't be able to sleep in the same room, but it's very cheap considering the fantastic location (when I stayed there, I had a view of St Paul's Cathedral right from my bed!) and if you're adventurous types, then this provides ample opportunity for finding new places to get intimate :biggrin: You could also hide cute notes or little presents in her luggage for her to find when you're going to bed...there are loads of things to get up to!
Reply 9
Do you know anyone who you can stay with in London?

Megabus is ~£10 each return, but I warn you it is one of the most awful journeys I've ever had to make in my life.

I'm not sure if it's the cause of my ex's and mines breakup, but it definitely contributed :unimpressed:
Original post by TJBeaver13

Any help will be great

Try coaches, they're a lot cheaper! I always use them for trips to London to save money :smile:

For my 1-year anniversary, we just went to Pizza Express - I think with a small thing you actually get more time together, whereas if you go for something big you can end up worrying about the details ... :tongue:
Reply 11
Think I'm going to try my best to go, if not ill do something else. Coaches always looked an option and hostels were one as well so I'm just keeping my eye on it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending