The Student Room Group

Artificial Selection

Hi guys, I have this question on my bio tutorial : Scientists wished to breed a certain fruit for improved flavour and a more attractive colour. Explain with full details how they could achieve this.

The process is artificial selection right? I'm not sure if my explanation is sufficient for this question though...

here's my explanation : Through artificial selection, scientists can select the traits that they want, such as improved flavour, and a more attractive colour. Then, they can selectively breed the alleles of these traits to produce a certain fruit that has improved flavour and a more attractive colour.
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by Julia William
(...)
here's my explanation : Through artificial selection, scientists can select the traits that they want, such as improved flavour, and a more attractive colour. Then, they can selectively breed the alleles of these traits to produce a certain fruit that has improved flavour and a more attractive colour.

The principle sounds good, but to understand what the scientists do, I would write too what the exactly procedure is. What happens during artificial selection? do scientists take fruits with favorable traits and cross-breed them as in breeding? or is it an other method? imagine you explain the artificial selection a large audience, but there are some people who don't know the methods, but want to know them and ask you that question - what would you do?

What I want to say is that your explanation is written too generally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending