The Student Room Group

4 grades lower than expected, now I don't know what to do

I applied for Computer Science at St Andrews and got an offer for AAB.

Got my results this morning and ended up with BBD (physics and maths - B and further maths - D). I did terribly on 4 maths modules, and was 7 UMS off an A in physics.

I don't know what to do now. I can't find a place in clearing, and I will do almost anything rather than resitting year 13 to redo 4 ot 5 modules.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by pratstercs

Got my results this morning and ended up with BBD (physics and maths - B and further maths - D). I did terribly on 4 maths modules, and was 7 UMS off an A in physics.

I don't know what to do now. I can't find a place in clearing, and I will do almost anything rather than resitting year 13 to redo 4 ot 5 modules.

Any advice?

Well your options are Clearing or resitting and reapplying :s-smilie: So I'm not sure what you want us to say :p:
I'm sorry about your bad news.
Reply 2

Any advice?

a) Clearing. Maybe this could help you; http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&flt1=&flt2=&flt3=&flt6=&flt7=&Query=Computer+Science&ProviderQuery=&Location=&Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&SubjectCode=
b) Resitting.

Sorry for your day too :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
Well your options are Clearing or resitting and reapplying :s-smilie: So I'm not sure what you want us to say :p:

I'm glad you said this. I came on to answer and then wondered if there was something I wasn't seeing.

Any advice?

Hi,
It is a long way from St Andrews - but there are places in Clearing at Kingston for our computing courses - so it might be worth giving us a call?
0844 842 9599
Good luck with what ever you decide to do,
Kind regards
Kerrie
Reply 5

Any advice?

If you really want to avoid resitting, then just keep on trying to find something in Clearing. Or just apply next year with BBD.
(edited 10 years ago)

Any advice?

I want to be mega rich, but I don't want to have a job and I don't want to marry a rich man. Unfortunately, like you, my options are limited.
Original post by Origami Bullets
I want to be mega rich, but I don't want to have a job and I don't want to marry a rich man. Unfortunately, like you, my options are limited.

It's been a long day, hasn't it?!:biggrin:
Reply 8
Just keep using clearing, my friend got a place with grades EEC when they asked for CCC so you never know :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Craghyrax

Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm glad you said this. I came on to answer and then wondered if there was something I wasn't seeing.

What I was meaning was things like alternatives such as foundation courses (I've had a quick look and there seems to be nothing relevant, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place) or clearing places which would accept BBD, if anyone happened to know anywhere
What I was meaning was things like alternatives such as foundation courses (I've had a quick look and there seems to be nothing relevant, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place) or clearing places which would accept BBD, if anyone happened to know anywhere

Well, certainly foundation courses are a possibility, but with BBD you are likely to be eligible for quite a few standard courses. It's not my area, I'm afraid, so all I can say is keep trawling through the clearing lists. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Fair enough. If you're happy reapplying with the grades you have, then there will no doubt be foundation offers around. But that will require more research. In this section everybody is rushing about trying to help applicants sort out very urgent issues with UCAS Track and so forth. So I recommend going to the Computer Science forum on here and posting a thread to see if the other applicants interested in that area have spotted suitable Foundations in your subject.
With Clearing you'll just have to be thorough and look yourself until you see something that matches your grades.
Reply 12

Any advice?

Hey I got an offer through clearing to do computer science at queen mary. I got BBC but because you did further maths and maths they may let you in with BBD it may be worth looking into.
Hope it goes well for you!

Any advice?

Where is St. Andrews, meaning which country?

Any advice?

You should resit bro.You screwed up.This is ur life.U dont wanna go into a mid level uni cause u might end up unemployed.I got a bad result and I am resitting as well.If u mke the wrong choice, theirs no coming back.
Original post by economist2
Where is St. Andrews, meaning which country?

Scotland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending