The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I want my friend to fail in his exams?

Basically, I have this friend who seems to do no work, not care about anything, not stress about anything, and generally is happy all the time and walks out with the top grades.

I'm always hardworking, I always stress, I care and I try. So hard. I get good grades, but I'm always second best. I like my friend, but sometimes he is so laid back its annoying, it's almost as if he is purposefully doing it to frustrate me more. I must work 5x harder than him.

Even now, he got AAAA and I got AAAB. I know that seems trivial but it doesn't when you take into account how little he does and how much I do in preparation for exams. I'm being honest when I say that I'd like it if I got A*A*A* next year and he messes up and does badly in A2. It's awful, I feel terrible, but it is true.

:frown:
'Seems to do no work', which means you don't actually know if he does or doesn't do work when your not with him. I had a friend who was very smart, she told me that she tells people that she didn't study very hard just in case she doesn't do well in the exam so people don't think she tried and failed. She basically works super hard but acts like she doesn't, maybe the case is the same for your friend.
Yeah people dont really be honest in terms of how much they study because of the fear of being labeled a nerd. They do work secretly just that people dont know it. But as a friend dont wish bad for him, instead work out where you are lacking and improve on that. And why not ask him for help, if he is doing better than you there must be a reason for it. Life's too short for this kind of competition between friends. Enjoy it :smile:
Reply 3
Do you know for a fact that he does no work? He may just be saying that to show off.
Reply 4
Don't be a hater.
Reply 5
Original post by izpenguin
Do you know for a fact that he does no work? He may just be saying that to show off.

Agree with this. A lot of people I know always say they do know work, or mess around in frees, but just do it for the show and to make them seem like they don't care. Reality is, they work hard away from school and stress more than everyone else.
Reply 6
He's not the kind of person to disclose things to people, and we're all self-acknowledged to be "nerdy" about our subjects.
Reply 7
Yes, it is bad that you want your "friend" to fail his exams. Focus on your own subjects instead of caring about how well he does. Competing against him is a waste of energy.

I had a friend who was naturally talented and didn't need to work as hard as I did at getting good grades. It was frustrating but some people are just better. Deal with it, move on and do as best as you can in your own exams.
Don't let your jealousy make you bitter. Some people seem to do no work simply because they work at different times, are more efficient than you or you just work too much.

He's happy, he's doing well, why would you want to take that from him? You're just wasting your time and energy by focusing on wishing your friend to do poorly.

Plus, you don't need to do all nighters or spend ridiculous hours at the library to do well either.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I have this friend who seems to do no work, not care about anything, not stress about anything, and generally is happy all the time and walks out with the top grades.

I'm always hardworking, I always stress, I care and I try. So hard. I get good grades, but I'm always second best. I like my friend, but sometimes he is so laid back its annoying, it's almost as if he is purposefully doing it to frustrate me more. I must work 5x harder than him.

Even now, he got AAAA and I got AAAB. I know that seems trivial but it doesn't when you take into account how little he does and how much I do in preparation for exams. I'm being honest when I say that I'd like it if I got A*A*A* next year and he messes up and does badly in A2. It's awful, I feel terrible, but it is true.

Maybe he does it to come across as more intelligent?

I think I would probably think the same if I were in your situation, to be fair.

No, it's not bad. Some people deserve to fail because they put it virtually no effort into their work.
Original post by FlyMikey
Yep completely agree here. My school is ultr-competitive and pretty much all the top guys do this..You just have to find your strong point and push forward..You can do it! :smile:
Btw, please have a look at this page - an app being developed by me :smile: Please like it :biggrin: Thanks
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ten-Second-Game/378000725661456

Pahahahahhaahha....
....NO
Reply 12
Haters gonna hate.
Reply 13
Wish other people do worse then you even if it means real misfortune is a natural reaction in most people, so just wishing your friend will fail is not a bad thing per say. But not trying to resist those wishes is a bad thing.

jeaousy is an ugly trait, your friend has a natural eptitude but because you "work harder" you want him to fail

some friend yu are

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending