The Student Room Group

Are these A Level subjects well respected? Or should I do maths?

I'm taking English Language, English Literature, Spanish and History.:smile: Lots of people are telling me that I should take maths as well as these or instead of one of them because my subjects aren't as well respected as maths and universities will like me better if I do have maths.:frown: I'm considering a career in languages/linguistics but am also immensely interested in English literature, so would I really be better off with maths when I dislike it and have no intention of doing it at university or at any point in the future? :s-smilie: Also I am roughly an A* at GCSE maths...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Maths is a good subject given, but if you want to do languages you'd be better doing subjects that are languages, you're line up sounds good to be if that's the road you want to go down :smile:
Reply 2
If you don't enjoy maths, don't do it. Simple as. You won't do as well as you would in another subject due to your lack of interest and a U won't look good whether it's in maths or any other subject.

The only reason you should even consider it is if the university course you're going to apply for specify it, but I highly doubt they would if you're looking for a career in language. You can make yourself look good in other ways such as getting good grades in your chosen subjects, writing a good personal statement and showing evidence of wider reading etc.

Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest