The Student Room Group

AS UMS possible for oxford over a* at gcse?

say a person didn't get any a* at gcse, but managed to get 95+ UMS at AS level average across their subjects, do they have any chance of getting in?

if it is based off subjects more then:
-medicine (strong bmat and ukcat)
-maths (strong step)
-physics
-engineering

thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by pathosL
say a person didn't get any a* at gcse, but managed to get 95+ UMS at AS level average across their subjects, do they have any chance of getting in?

-maths (strong step)
-physics
-engineering

thank you!

Oxford don't see your UMS.
You can declare it in your reference though (which I suspect anyone with 90%+ average would be stupid not to do!)
Reply 3
Original post by knope
Oxford don't see your UMS.

so is it only pretty much cambridge that cares?
Reply 4
Original post by pathosL

-maths (strong step)
-physics
-engineering

thank you!

Oxford care a lot about their admissions test; if you did well in STEP you will do in the MAT/PAT.

Cambridge care more about GCSES than Oxford does. Cambridge care more about raw UMS than Oxford does.
Reply 5
Original post by Melthusa
Oxford care a lot about their admissions test; if you did well in STEP you will do in the MAT/PAT.

Cambridge care more about GCSES than Oxford does. Cambridge care more about raw UMS than Oxford does.

What Uni's ignore Poor/Mediocre GCSE grade's, if there are strong AS?
Reply 6

i dont think so
Reply 7
Original post by pathosL
i dont think so

Why is it, when people like me who are most knowledgeable about this issue quote facts and figures people like you throw around your opinion, contributing absolutely nothing to discussion?

If you want to contradict me, provide evidence or explain why you are more qualified than somebody who is heavily involved in Oxford and Cambridge access?
Original post by pathosL

-maths (strong step)
-physics
-engineering

thank you!

For Medicine Oxford bases shortlisting for interview on A*s at GCSE and BMAT score. Generally people with below 50% A* don't get an interview, let alone people with none. Also, Oxford make no use of the UKCAT.
Reply 9
Why is it, when people like me who are most knowledgeable about this issue quote facts and figures people like you throw around your opinion, contributing absolutely nothing to discussion?

If you want to contradict me, provide evidence or explain why you are more qualified than somebody who is heavily involved in Oxford and Cambridge access?

from what 've heard you're wrong

Actually, the evidence would suggest that you are actually wrong.

Cambridge's website explicitly states, "Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge"

"Our research shows that performance at AS/A Level as measured by average UMS percentages is a much better predictor of degree potential than GCSE results."

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html

While in a study of Oxford admissions involving 19 tutors across the subject range, the conclusion was that "prior attainment, in particular at GCSE level, bears the strongest
relationship with admissions decisions" p. 319 (this is discounting interview performance/subject tests). Source: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/learningteaching/kli/staff/staff-resources/annazimdars/azimdars2010-fairness-undergraduateOxford.pdf

The fact that Cambridge has gone out of its way to emphasise the importance of AS UMS over GCSE and that in the Oxford study GCSE performance was singled out, seems to support the view that Oxford cares more about GCSEs than Cambridge and not the other way around.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

Cambridge's website explicitly states, "Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge"

"Our research shows that performance at AS/A Level as measured by average UMS percentages is a much better predictor of degree potential than GCSE results."

While in a study of Oxford admissions involving 19 tutors across the subject range, the conclusion was that "prior attainment, in particular at GCSE level, bears the strongest
relationship with admissions decisions" p. 319 (this is discounting interview performance/subject tests). Source: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/learningteaching/kli/staff/staff-resources/annazimdars/azimdars2010-fairness-undergraduateOxford.pdf

The fact that Cambridge has gone out of its way to emphasise the importance of AS UMS over GCSE and that in the Oxford study GCSE performance was singled out, seems to support the view that Oxford cares more about GCSEs than Cambridge and not the other way around.

thank you! will rep when my limit is over!
Original post by pathosL

-maths (strong step)
-physics
-engineering

thank you!

For medicine they just look at proportion of a*s at gcse and bmat, you'd have to a) get a reeeally strong bmat and b) justify the lack of a*s at gcse with some sort of mitigating circumstances

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

That's kings college London, and not Oxford you're quoting. :cockup:

Did you even look at the source? It's a review of the Oxford admissions process...

Don't be ungracious, just accept that you were wrong. I'm not saying GCSEs are a massive deal at Oxford, just that they seem more important than at Cambridge... To quote a certain someone: "Why is it, when people like me who are most knowledgeable about this issue quote facts and figures people like you throw around your opinion, contributing absolutely nothing to discussion?" I think I'll take the evidence from "20 interviews with admissions tutors, three interviews with university and college officials and observations of eight admissions meetings" (p. 311 of the study on Oxford admissions) over the opinion of some randomer on TSR. It's so ironic that you've perfectly articulated your own failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Don't be ungracious, just accept that you were wrong. I'm not saying GCSEs are a massive deal at Oxford, just that they seem more important than at Cambridge... To quote a certain someone: "Why is it, when people like me who are most knowledgeable about this issue quote facts and figures people like you throw around your opinion, contributing absolutely nothing to discussion?" I think I'll take the evidence from "20 interviews with admissions tutors, three interviews with university and college officials and observations of eight admissions meetings" (p. 311 of the study on Oxford admissions) over the opinion of some randomer on TSR. It's so ironic that you've perfectly articulated your own failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an access and admissions person employed by one of the colleges.

Don't tell me I'm wrong when I do this for a job.

Still trying to avoid engaging with the evidence provided by throwing forth claims that cannot easily be verified, how convenient. If you are an admissions person employed by one of the colleges (for Oxford?), then I'm worried for Oxford admissions given the evident discrepancies in their policies...though seeing as you claimed to be doing a Physics degree at Oxford not so long ago on another thread it's not looking likely that you're an experienced full time admissions officer...meh it doesn't matter either way, you carry on being rude to applicants when they say things that are perfectly reasonable, you're doing a great job for access.
(edited 10 years ago)

The opposite
Reply 19

Oh dear, which one? Bit of a waste of funding employing you clearly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending