The Student Room Group

uni choices too aggressive? or just right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tbh, it's too aggressive...... (unless you are an international student who can gain a place from clearing easily)

As you did not get high scores in those maths modules, it's likely that you will get a lower ones in other harder modules......
Reply 21
Maybe choose a safe option but then again there's no point applying to a uni you don't actually want to go to.
Reply 22
Original post by mmms95
Hi, sorry to come out of nowhere here! I just want to get some advice? I'm currently an international student and I'm going to be applying this year for university hopefully for a degree in Mathematics but I'm really worried since I dont have Further Maths as my school doesnt offer it.

My current grades at igcse are; 9 A*'s (in Maths, Eng lit, Eng lang, Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Eco, Applied ICT and Art)

My AS level grades are; AAA for maths, physics and ICT and B for English Language (I got an A in one paper and a B in the other, only two marks off though! :s)

I really was wondering if anyone could advise whether i had any chance of getting an offer for a Maths degree? I also plan on doing either the STEP or AEA though im not sure which is better to do, and also if i should do both since I dont have FM.

[Also, i had a look at the MAT, and it seemed a bit difficult, how is the STEP in comparison? Because since Imperial's requirements are pretty high and the fact that i dont have FM is a set back for me, I dont know whether or not it would be worth studying for the MAT solely for Imperial? Anyways, sorry again for randomly intruding ahah!

Thank you in advance!

Not having FM will be the thing that restricts your choices the most, although there are certainly universities that will give you offers without it.

STEP and AEA can certainly enahnce your application BUT they do require preparation and could adversely affect your A Level grades if you have to devote a lot of time to them. STEP is significantly harder than MAT by all accounts, but the exam takes place at the same time as your A Levels so you have more time to prepare. To do yourself justice in STEP and AEA you need to have mastered C3/C4 (although some questions are approachable with only AS knowledge), so if you haven't already, get hold of some C3/C4 textbooks and start self-teaching so you know what to expect :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest