The Student Room Group

BCC at AS - any hope to make that AAA?

So I got B (Biology) C (Chemistry - 8 marks off a B) and C (Psychology - 4 marks off a B)

IDK how it happened because I worked so hard - especially in study leave with 8 hours of revision a day

I need AAA for Alevel to do what I want to do in the future and I am feeling really bummed right now as I thought I got BBC (Biol, Psychol, Chem) but turns out the results that were sent to me by email (I was abroad) were wrong so until today I thought I had a high B in Psychology (received letter today from school giving me my overall scores - which I had already calculated but using the wrong results)

So any advice? I will probably be resitting a few modules but I dont think I can do that for psychology since I will have to focus on next years syllabus which is a lot!!! HELP!

Scroll to see replies

You can get to AAA.

Resit a bunch of your modules in A2, work your ass off, and if your chosen degree absolutely requires AAA, I might recommend taking a gap year and applying then. It might be difficult to convince unis you can get AAA from BCC, but if you apply with AAA in hand you're more likely to get in. I'm hazarding a guess that this is medicine? If so, there's not much use in applying to traditional courses in year 13 with those grades, but applying in a gap year could be worth a shot. Alternately, some foundation courses ask for grades around BBB/BBC.
You can do it if you B&Q it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by paradoxicalme
You can get to AAA.

Resit a bunch of your modules in A2, work your ass off, and if your chosen degree absolutely requires AAA, I might recommend taking a gap year and applying then. It might be difficult to convince unis you can get AAA from BCC, but if you apply with AAA in hand you're more likely to get in. I'm hazarding a guess that this is medicine? If so, there's not much use in applying to traditional courses in year 13 with those grades, but applying in a gap year could be worth a shot. Alternately, some foundation courses ask for grades around BBB/BBC.

I feel sick a gap year is nothing I want to do I would rather not
If I got AAA, in clearing (whatever that is) would I be able to get into medicine?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by randomer12
If I got AAA in clearing (whatever that is) would I be able to get into medicine?

No. Medicine is not available in clearing.

Im sorry to say but with those grades medicine is unlikely.
If I got AAA, in clearing (whatever that is) would I be able to get into medicine?

Medicine isn't available in clearing. I'd look up foundation medicine courses, like the EDMP at King's. You might not want to do a gap year, but you have four choices: give up medicine, look at foundation courses, bump up your grades with a huge amount of work and take a gap year, or do a degree related to medicine and do GEM (which I'll assure you is a damn sight harder to get into than undergraduate medicine). Do what you think would suit you.
Reply 6
Original post by chelseafan
No. Medicine is not available in clearing.

Im sorry to say but with those grades medicine is unlikely.

But I have to do medicine! My whole P.S is perfect now (cannot tell you how many hours I spent writing it and tweaking it)

All my hours and days worth of work experience are all for medicine

I just did the UKCAT too

I KNOW I can get AAA with harder work there must be something I was doing wrong, is there no way I can be predicted AAA?!
But I have to do medicine! My whole P.S is perfect now (cannot tell you how many hours I spent writing it and tweaking it)

All my hours and days worth of work experience are all for medicine

I just did the UKCAT too

I KNOW I can get AAA with harder work there must be something I was doing wrong, is there no way I can be predicted AAA?!

I'm sorry to be harsh. But even you do get AAA predicted, you still won't get any offers. You have to take a gap year and even then it will be extremely difficult.
Reply 8
And I'll be even more honest, you worked for 8 hours a day and managed to get BCC. How do you expext to get AAA next year, not only is the work tougher, you'll probably want to resit AS modules and then to make matters worse you have no time in January to resit some modules to make it easier in June so you'll be doing alll your exams in June. I'm sorry but I really dont think medicine is an option for you and at the very least if you think you could achieve AAA somehow you will definitely have to consider the prospect of taking a gap year, you have a very very slim chance of being offered a place for 2014 entry with those grades and I'm not even sure your college will predict you AAA and if they do uni's will probably see it as unreasonable predictions and reject you anyway. Don't want to sound harsh just telling you how it is.
Yes, definitely although it would be easier to do if you did retakes, I got BCDE is AS and ABC in A level, on went from an E to an A on a retake, so yes, just put the work in :smile:
Resit your AS and it is possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by paradoxicalme
Medicine isn't available in clearing. I'd look up foundation medicine courses, like the EDMP at King's. You might not want to do a gap year, but you have four choices: give up medicine, look at foundation courses, bump up your grades with a huge amount of work and take a gap year, or do a degree related to medicine and do GEM (which I'll assure you is a damn sight harder to get into than undergraduate medicine). Do what you think would suit you.

1) Give up medicine - cannot I have spent the last 7-8 years of my life telling people I want to be a doctor I have nothing else to go to
2) Look at foundation courses - will do but IDK anything about them (like the requirements, how competitive it is etc)
3) Get AAA and take gap year - This will be my Plan Z (to take a gap year - if literally all else fails)
4) Degree related to medicine and then apply as a grad - well that would mean I would have to do really well in my degree right? And so if I don't I will be stuck with that subject for the rest of my life, right? The only thing that interests me as a career (apart from medicine) is Psychology

I feel sick, thanks for laying out the options though
Reply 12
Original post by Blobar
And I'll be even more honest, you worked for 8 hours a day and managed to get BCC. How do you expext to get AAA next year, not only is the work tougher, you'll probably want to resit AS modules and then to make matters worse you have no time in January to resit some modules to make it easier in June so you'll be doing alll your exams in June. I'm sorry but I really dont think medicine is an option for you and at the very least if you think you could achieve AAA somehow you will definitely have to consider the prospect of taking a gap year, you have a very very slim chance of being offered a place for 2014 entry with those grades and I'm not even sure your college will predict you AAA and if they do uni's will probably see it as unreasonable predictions and reject you anyway. Don't want to sound harsh just telling you how it is.

I could ask for AAA and tell my teachers that it's up to me to reach that goal and if it doesn't work out then I am the one who is screwed and that I have, literally, asked for it. And usually they cannot say no because (since I go to a private school) my parents money is going into their pockets so...
I thought you didn't have to cache your AS? or whatever (does that mean uni's don't see my AS)

Well I only started revising like 1 moth before study leave (with piles of homework too so hardly any time to revise) and then 8 hours/day in study leave but this year I plan to work along the year (I didn't realize the jump between GCSE and Alevel)
1) Give up medicine - cannot I have spent the last 7-8 years of my life telling people I want to be a doctor I have nothing else to go to
2) Look at foundation courses - will do but IDK anything about them (like the requirements, how competitive it is etc)
3) Get AAA and take gap year - This will be my Plan Z (to take a gap year - if literally all else fails)
4) Degree related to medicine and then apply as a grad - well that would mean I would have to do really well in my degree right? And so if I don't I will be stuck with that subject for the rest of my life, right? The only thing that interests me as a career (apart from medicine) is Psychology

1.) I've been telling people for 7 years that I've wanted to do an English degree, but now I'm considering Philosophy and Psychology as well. There are millions of avenues for you to take - don't feel pressured into this one because it's the one you've pigeonholed yourself into. But if you're absolutely sure that medicine is your calling, you can still get into it.

2.) Research foundation medicine/access to medicine courses. I'd arguably say they're your best option, although like all med courses they're competitive. If you have lots of W/E, a great PS and a good UKCAT, that will all work in your favour.

3.) A Plan Z is still a viable plan. You can get a lot out of a gap year :smile: and a year's hardly anything compared to how long you'd spend training as a doctor.

4.) As interesting as psychology is, I wouldn't recommend using it as entry into GEM. It's one of the most popular degrees out there, and its employment statistics aren't great because there are far more psych grads than there are jobs for them in a related field. If you wanted to do GEM, something related to biological science would be your best bet, like biomedical sciences.
Reply 14
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Yes, definitely although it would be easier to do if you did retakes, I got BCDE is AS and ABC in A level, on went from an E to an A on a retake, so yes, just put the work in :smile:

Yeah I will deffo do retakes for Biology and Chemistry, still thinking about Psychology though :P

I've got a fiver I can lend you for a rope if you like?
Reply 16
Original post by chelseafan
I'm sorry to be harsh. But even you do get AAA predicted, you still won't get any offers. You have to take a gap year and even then it will be extremely difficult.

Why wont I still get any offers?
Why would it be extremely difficult if I took a gap year? I thought it would be easier as I would already have my A2 grades?
Reply 17
Original post by pirateship
I've got a fiver I can lend you for a rope if you like?

I don't understand lol
I don't understand lol

He's implying you're screwed :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest