The Student Room Group

student finance appeals

Hoping for some advice please after reading through some threads;
I started uni back in 2001 and left due to ill health, tried again in 2003 and 2009 and both times had to leave again (always in the first year each time)
The reasons i left were the following, brittle asthma and lung fibrosis, surgery, undiagnosed bipolar disorder leading to erratic behaviour (now diagnosed and on medication) domestic violence, bereavement and a son with disabilities.
I have read that i can return but would only get funding for years 2 and 3, however have been advised due to the reasons i left i might be able to appeal this to start again?
I have worked in between these times and because of my salary level have paid some monies back to student fnance.
I am now registered as disabled and receive highest rate DLA and ESA so i believe i would be classified as a disabled student also, do i appeal by email or are there special forms to request? has anyone else in a similar position been successful?
Any advice would be gratefully received thanks
Hi,

Firstly, I really sorry to hear that you've been through so much crap.

Yes, it is still possible to get funding for university. You are entitled to the length of your degree plus one year. However if you provide evidence that you had legitimate reasons for withdrawing from study in the past, those previous years don't count towards what you are entitled to.

I'm about to start uni again, having dropped out in 2002 and 2006 due to ill health. I submitted letters from my GP, a consultant and a healthcare worker to support my claim (all three was probably overkill but I wanted to be on the safe side). It took about two months for student finance to process my application, but I've now received full funding.

As for how you go about it: I rang student finance and they told me to apply online as normal and post them the evidence. I was advised that the letters had to specify the dates and how my health problems affected my study.
Original post by loopyloo72
Hoping for some advice please after reading through some threads;
I started uni back in 2001 and left due to ill health, tried again in 2003 and 2009 and both times had to leave again (always in the first year each time)
The reasons i left were the following, brittle asthma and lung fibrosis, surgery, undiagnosed bipolar disorder leading to erratic behaviour (now diagnosed and on medication) domestic violence, bereavement and a son with disabilities.
I have read that i can return but would only get funding for years 2 and 3, however have been advised due to the reasons i left i might be able to appeal this to start again?
I have worked in between these times and because of my salary level have paid some monies back to student fnance.
I am now registered as disabled and receive highest rate DLA and ESA so i believe i would be classified as a disabled student also, do i appeal by email or are there special forms to request? has anyone else in a similar position been successful?
Any advice would be gratefully received thanks

According to student finance, you can only claim for Compelling Personal Reasons for one year at a time, working backwards. So, at present you have studied for 3 years, which means if you were to go on to a new 3 year degree, your entitlement will be 3+1-3 = 1 year of funding for your third year.

You can claim Compelling Personal reasons for any of those years, however you would only be able to claim it for your second year, as they work backwards, this would still mean funding your first year yourself.

This is the exact predicament I was in. I decide to go to University part-time, as full-time study wasn't counted in my entitlement. So, I am awarded full funding for my new degree, which will take me 4 years instead of 3, but I won't receive maintenance loans etc. I, personally, find this much better for me with a mental health disability, so it isn't as strenuous as full time university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Quantex
Hi,

Yes, it is still possible to get funding for university. You are entitled to the length of your degree plus one year. However if you provide evidence that you had legitimate reasons for withdrawing from study in the past, those previous years don't count towards what you are entitled to.

I'm about to start uni again, having dropped out in 2002 and 2006 due to ill health. I submitted letters from my GP, a consultant and a healthcare worker to support my claim (all three was probably overkill but I wanted to be on the safe side). It took about two months for student finance to process my application, but I've now received full funding.

As for how you go about it: I rang student finance and they told me to apply online as normal and post them the evidence. I was advised that the letters had to specify the dates and how my health problems affected my study.

Original post by Quantex
Hi,

Thanks for the reply (i guess the crap makes us stronger ehh)
i will give them a call tomorrow, i know my psychiatrist, respiratory consultant and GP are all willing to provide letter etc with no charge which helps
Reply 4
Your standard entitlement to fee support and special support grant are calculated following a formula

Length of course + 1 year - previous study

so

3+1-3 = 1 which would be applied to last year of course.

You can make SFE that you withdrew from your most recent previous course for compelling personal reasons (CPR). If they are satisfied this is the case then they would award an extra year to the first year of your course.

So your funding could be as follows

Y1 - Fee loan, Special Support Grant (SSG) (awarded for CPR) and maintenance loan plus Dependents Grants for your child and Disabled Student Allowance

Y2 - maintenance loan plus dependents grants for your child and Disabled Student Allowance (NO fee loan or SSG due to previous study)

Y3 - Fee loan, Special Support Grant (awarded for CPR) and maintenance loan plus Dependents Grants for your child and Disabled Student Allowance

You could write to SFE first with evidence,if they do not accept your CPR then you could appeal.

Your situation is complex so I strongly recommend you seek advice from a university money adviser to ensure you get the funding you are entitled to and the welfare benefits plus understanding how you student income can affect your benefits.

Good luck
Reply 5
Original post by Knalchemist
According to student finance, you can only claim for Compelling Personal Reasons for one year at a time, working backwards. So, at present you have studied for 3 years, which means if you were to go on to a new 3 year degree, your entitlement will be 3+1-3 = 1 year of funding for your third year.

You can claim Compelling Personal reasons for any of those years, however you would only be able to claim it for your second year, as they work backwards, this would still mean funding your first year yourself.

This is the exact predicament I was in. I decide to go to University part-time, as full-time study wasn't counted in my entitlement. So, I am awarded full funding for my new degree, which will take me 4 years instead of 3, but I won't receive maintenance loans etc. I, personally, find this much better for me with a mental health disability, so it isn't as strenuous as full time university.

Thanks for your reply, i have been considering doing the first year over 2 years, then full time for year 2 and 3 just in case i do relapse, i also meant to add that my first attempt was nursing and funded by dept of health so not sure if that counts toward student finance 'rules'?
Reply 6
Original post by Levitator
Your standard entitlement to fee support and special support grant are calculated following a formula

Length of course + 1 year - previous study

so

3+1-3 = 1 which would be applied to last year of course.

You can make SFE that you withdrew from your most recent previous course for compelling personal reasons (CPR). If they are satisfied this is the case then they would award an extra year to the first year of your course.

So your funding could be as follows

Y1 - Fee loan, Special Support Grant (SSG) (awarded for CPR) and maintenance loan plus Dependents Grants for your child and Disabled Student Allowance

Y2 - maintenance loan plus dependents grants for your child and Disabled Student Allowance (NO fee loan or SSG due to previous study)

Y3 - Fee loan, Special Support Grant (awarded for CPR) and maintenance loan plus Dependents Grants for your child and Disabled Student Allowance

You could write to SFE first with evidence,if they do not accept your CPR then you could appeal.

Your situation is complex so I strongly recommend you seek advice from a university money adviser to ensure you get the funding you are entitled to and the welfare benefits plus understanding how you student income can affect your benefits.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, i agree the more i research it the more complex it appears to be, sounds like a good plan to write to SFE first and/or call them as all the threads i have read indicate its not a yes or no answer!
many thanks
Reply 7
Search on line for the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1986/made

Look at Regulation 19 to 21 - this tells you how your Standard Entitlement is calculated.

Regulation 19 (8) is the part that says if you failed to complete your most recent course for CPR then in Y1 SFE may award fee support.

Good luck with it and get advice from the university adviser.
Reply 8
Original post by Knalchemist

Hi, good to find this post.

So based on that formula, if I'm doing a 1-year PGCE, it works out as

1 (length of new course) +1, - 3 (length of undergrad)

This works out as -1. Crap!!

Is this correct?

D

PS I just got a letter saying I'm getting no loan, and am currently figuring it out and seeing if I can appeal.
Original post by Stoker
Hi, good to find this post.

So based on that formula, if I'm doing a 1-year PGCE, it works out as

1 (length of new course) +1, - 3 (length of undergrad)

This works out as -1. Crap!!

Is this correct?

D

PS I just got a letter saying I'm getting no loan, and am currently figuring it out and seeing if I can appeal.

That rule is only for undergraduate degree's. I am not sure how it works with PGCE I am afraid.

Why did SFE say you aren't eligible for a loan?
Reply 10
If you are doing a PGCE then the previous study rules are different

This is the law on what counts as Previous Study http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1986/regulation/12/made

Para 13 (4) says

4) A course which would otherwise be a previous course will not be treated as such if—
(a)
the current course is a course for the initial training of teachers;

(b)
the duration of the current course does not exceed two years where the current course is—

(i)
a full-time course; or

(ii)
a part-time course (the duration of which being expressed as its full-time equivalent) and either the current course—

(aa)
began before 1st September 2010; or

(bb)
begins on or after 1st September 2010 where the student transfers to the current course pursuant to regulation 7 from a course for the initial training of teachers beginning before 1st September 2010); and

(c)
the student is not a qualified teacher.

So hopefully okay for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending