The Student Room Group

Most annoying words/phrases??

Scroll to see replies

People that say brought when they mean bought, and defiantly when they mean definitely.

"I'm defiantly going to do the homework this time" How do you do homework with defiance? :colonhash:
Reply 21
Original post by gman10
I have never heard any of these :/ haha

Haha :biggrin:you must either 1) live in an extremely posh area 2) you got to a private school or 3) you are allergic to Chavy slang:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
"No offence, but...(insert something offensive)". Just because you said no offence, doesn't mean you're any less of a d-bag.
Reply 23
Original post by sr234
Haha :biggrin:you must either 1) live in an extremely posh area 2) you got to a private school or 3) you are allergic to Chavy slang:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guilty of all 3 :colondollar:
"No offence but.. {insert something offensive}."
Reply 25
Original post by gman10

Haha same! :biggrin:

I personally hate the word "moist" .It just sounds so wrong.

Also "HEY BABE!!!"
'Sound'.

May just be in Liverpool, it means ok.

Not a fan :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Ethnic- I hate how it's used as a lazy way to categorize everyone who isn't white. Can't be bothered to separate the Pakistani and Nigerian foods at your supermarket? Stick it all in the "ethnic" aisle.

Skinny - Stuck at the beginning of any low fat food. Makes it sound like "food for anorexic people" in my opinion

Aspie- Tries to make a serious medical condition sound like a cute club. I'm sure calling schizophrenics "schizies" wouldn't go down so well.

Afro-Caribbean - Used to lump two very different cultures which are separated by 4,000 miles and 400 years into one group just because they all have the same colour skin. It makes as much sense as putting American and Russian students in the same club just because Americans came from Europe 300 years ago.

Cancer - Used by the media to inspire terror among the masses. Want to sell more papers? Print an article containing statistics from Dr Cowboy that proves breathing causes cancer.

Diet - Used to mean a temporary unorthodox change to one's food intake in an attempt to lose weight. If we all just went back to the old meaning of "diet" which is what you normally eat in your lifetime then people might learn to eat better. You don't go on a diet, you change your diet. The former implies a short term fix to a long term problem.

Dating - Creates an illusion of structure and process to something that isn't structured or processed at all. Talking about dates is pointless because everybody has a different idea of what costitiutes a date. To some people "dates" don't even exist at all.

Shy - used to mean "anyone quiet". Shy implies that you are scared of people why are you assuming that I am scared/socially awkward just because I have nothing much to say?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by manchesterunited15
People that say brought when they mean bought, and defiantly when they mean definitely.

"I'm defiantly going to do the homework this time" How do you do homework with defiance? :colonhash:

Never heard anyone actually say it out loud but I type the wrong word sometimes becaue I find definitely hard to spell. And sometimes auto correct turns it to defiantly. This may explain it.
When people in relationships call each other "baby" :lolwut:
Original post by tania<3
When people in relationships call each other "baby" :lolwut:

common in Birmingham except it's:
[h="4"]babbee[/h]
It feken drives me crazy
Reply 31
Original post by gman10

Samee haha :rolleyes: unfortunately, it's a massive source of banter in my school

FAM, WHERE IS MY ORIGIN OF SPECIES? I'LL CUT YOU BRUDDAH, DARWIN NEEDS ME
when people say the word man after ever sentence!
Reply 33
Starting a sentence with:
At the end of day
Basically
To be honest with you

😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
'My bad'
Reply 35
Hate the word "snatch" referring to someone's ladyparts. Creeps me the hell out *shivers*
annoying scottish phrases: "chewingie" - seriously retarded way of saying chewing gum
"tottie" "DAEE YE WANT A PIECE N BACON" "AM GOING TO DO THIS THE NOW"

annoying english phrases: "brew" "sarnie" "innit"
Reply 37
'Indeed'. So bloody annoying and patronising when people - normally white middle aged men - say it!
Reply 38
Swag
Reply 39
Original post by Anya7
Haha same! :biggrin:

I personally hate the word "moist" .It just sounds so wrong.

Also "HEY BABE!!!"

fam cnt be desrepcting de word moist tho. Its 2 gangsta.

Can you dig it?

I really hate the word 'ting'. It just sounds overly disrespectful.

Quick Reply

Latest