The Student Room Group

Strict parents vs My relationship?

This is a bit complicated but I will explain as best I can. My parents have are strong Christians and recently found out that me and my boyfriend had slept together leading to some major issues. We told them we had stopped having sex but I am now not allowed to go to his house. This means I am continuously lying to them (which I hate but there isn't really another alternative as we have no where else to go when we meet up). I am seventeen so there is no legal problem and we have been together six months now so we're in a pretty serious relationship. I cant keep lying for a whole year until uni, using silly excuses but I know they will try to end our relationship if I tell them the truth. Any advice?!
Bumped as this took a short while to approve :smile:
Reply 2
release a sex tape and all will be well
I think in this case then your just have to continue to do it in secret like you said there make you end it.
Well it's your life and its not as if you are doing anything illegal, I mean you're in a relationship so you aren't exactly sleeping around :s-smilie: Maybe sit down with them and convince them to let you, and if not then resume what you are currently doing:redface: It's a hard situation :confused:
Reply 5
What are you allowed to do? Meet at your house? Go out together but not go back to his house? What if his parents were at home, could you go back to his house then?

I think you need to open up the discussion with your parents and establish some ground rules. If they say that you can't go to his house, then discuss with them where the pair of you can meet up that they would be content about (especially bearing in mind that winter is coming and meeting at the park (or whatever) isn't going to be a goer in a few months).

There are plenty of books out there for Christian teens giving guidance about having relationships without breaking the boundaries. You might not believe in them yourself but you could give your parents a lot of comfort if you ask them to buy one or two for you.

Although a year seems a long way away, it will pass and in any event you've got a lot of hard work with A'levels before then (... indeed, that may be one of the things that is concerning your parents).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Crumpet1
What are you allowed to do? Meet at your house? Go out together but not go back to his house? What if his parents were at home, could you go back to his house then

We're allowed to be at my house although that hasn't really happened yet as my boyfriend feels quite uncomfortable around my parents now. And yeah, out but not to his house at all. They seem to believe me but I know as you said what I am doing wont work soon with it being winter. I really would like to be more honest with them but I don't want to risk losing my boy friend who I am very happy with.
One of the things (with regards to a levels) is that they haven't mentioned this at all or any other concerns. Even when they found out, pregnancy and STIs were not a concern and they even said they hoped I'd been pressured into it!! All they seem to care about is the act as they don't believe in sex before marriage. They cant seem to see that I'm in a loving relationship and sex is often a part of that (they know i'm not a Christian). :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Well it's your life and its not as if you are doing anything illegal, I mean you're in a relationship so you aren't exactly sleeping around :s-smilie: Maybe sit down with them and convince them to let you, and if not then resume what you are currently doing:redface: It's a hard situation :confused:

Exactly my thoughts! If I was with a different person each week I would completely understand but yeah, I also don't want to damage my relationship with them any more than I have- it upset them quite a lot when they found out. especially when I'll be living at home for another whole year. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by guitardude5
release a sex tape and all will be well

Somehow, I don't think that will help
Reply 9
You're the worst troll ever.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44348839&highlight=

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44348835&highlight=

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44269442&highlight=

I knew your posts are weird because every single one has "Bumping because this took a short while to approve :smile: " You forget to make that bit anonymous - school boy error.

SO, what is your actual relationship status? Single?
And are you male of female? You're female in this post but you're struggling to enter your gf in others

PATHETIC.
Reply 10
Original post by SillyMilly
I think in this case then your just have to continue to do it in secret like you said there make you end it.

* You will.

Are you lazy or stupid?
Reply 11
Original post by olop
You're the worst troll ever.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44348839&highlight=

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44348835&highlight=

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44269442&highlight=

I knew your posts are weird because every single one has "Bumping because this took a short while to approve :smile: " You forget to make that bit anonymous - school boy error.

SO, what is your actual relationship status? Single?
And are you male of female? You're female in this post but you're struggling to enter your gf in others

PATHETIC.

The mods do the bumping you idiot.

OP - there's not much you can do tbh. I would keep lying until you can move out.
Your parents believe in and are guided by stories in a book about a wholly fictitious character who thinks nothing of letting people rot in hell for not worshipping him! And they continue to ram that down your throat.

They have absolved themselves of their own responsibility for all that happens in their lives (including yours), preferring to believe in divine guidance.

Don't go down the same path. You are your own person and fully entitled to make up your own mind.

Is there anyone else in your family you can talk this through with sensibly without them judging you or referring to religion?

Your parents are running the huge risk of you turning against them and hugely resenting them for dictating your life to you.
Reply 13
Original post by uberteknik
Your parents believe in and are guided by stories in a book about a wholly fictitious character who thinks nothing of letting people rot in hell for not worshipping him! And they continue to ram that down your throat.

They have absolved themselves of their own responsibility for all that happens in their lives (including yours), preferring to believe in divine guidance.

Don't go down the same path. You are your own person and fully entitled to make up your own mind.

Is there anyone else in your family you can talk this through with sensibly without them judging you or referring to religion?

Your parents are running the huge risk of you turning against them and hugely resenting them for dictating your life to you.

I completely agree! Apart from this, they are fine with me not being a Christian and we actually have some healthy debates about some of the issues regarding religion. I hadn't actually told anyone about them finding out but I think I might have a chat to my sister (who has moved out and doesn't share my parents views). As you say, they are risking it and I really wish they could just agree to disagree this once :s-smilie:
Original post by Steezy
* You will.

Are you lazy or stupid?

at least im not a pedantic looser who picks up on people's grammar on the internet...go get a hobby
Reply 15
at least im not a pedantic looser who picks up on people's grammar on the internet...go get a hobby

There's pedantic, and then there's picking up someone who replaces "you will" with "your" and "They will" with "there".

That's just plain retarded.
Original post by Steezy
There's pedantic, and then there's picking up someone who replaces "you will" with "your" and "They will" with "there".

That's just plain retarded.

its the internet, its not an English exam. Fair enough if a spelling bugs you say but do not call me retarded, stupid or lazy as you are some random person on the internet you don't know me so just learn some manners. You can get your point across without being insulting.
Reply 17
its the internet, its not an English exam. Fair enough if a spelling bugs you say but do not call me retarded, stupid or lazy as you are some random person on the internet you don't know me so just learn some manners. You can get your point across without being insulting.

Yes but insulting gets my point across better.

I wouldn't bother with an apostrophe missing or misspelling, or a general mistake. But come on... Replacing "You will" with "Your".... That's just creating your own language.
Original post by Steezy
Yes but insulting gets my point across better.

I wouldn't bother with an apostrophe missing or misspelling, or a general mistake. But come on... Replacing "You will" with "Your".... That's just creating your own language.

I don't think insulting somebody actually gets a point across if anything its just not very nice. And point taken I spelt it wrong but im severely dyslexic so I will never be able to spell it right no matter how many times somebody tells me but im not stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending