The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - Mechanical Engineering

So my teacher has checked out my personal statement and says everything is good but I should talk about how what I have learned from advanced higher physics relates directly to mechanical engineering and how that will help with my studies, any ideas?

I tried getting my hands on some first year notes for Scottish universities but had no luck. :frown:

Thanks in advance. Advanced Higher Physics is the scots version of A-level physics.:biggrin:
What sort of things do you learn in advanced higher? I only did up to higher and generally found that the most useful thing for mechanical engineering was the electronics topic lol.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
What sort of things do you learn in advanced higher? I only did up to higher and generally found that the most useful thing for mechanical engineering was the electronics topic lol.

I've only completed the mechanics unit so far and we have covered, rotational dynamics, gravitation, simple harmonic motion, wave particle duality basically everything in mechanics from higher but in a circle. :s-smilie:
Original post by FizzicsGuy
I've only completed the mechanics unit so far and we have covered, rotational dynamics, gravitation, simple harmonic motion, wave particle duality basically everything in mechanics from higher but in a circle. :s-smilie:

Simple harmonic motion is relevant, e.g. vibrations, and so is rotational dynamics, so maybe write a little bit about them.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Simple harmonic motion is relevant, e.g. vibrations, and so is rotational dynamics, so maybe write a little bit about them.

Ok that's good. :biggrin:

Have you got any idea how I would actually talk about it though?

Not really, no, I think I only talked about lego and meccano in my PS.
Reply 6

Unless you've actually used those principles to make something, it's probably sufficient to just mention that you've studied them. I'm sure the admissions staff will know what that qualification brings to the table, so perhaps just say that's something you enjoyed studying on your course?
Reply 7
Dont really have time to reply now, but if you want to post up or email your current personal statement I'll have a read of it, and or, try and dig out mine from back in 2005.

Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest