The Student Room Group

Imperial MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering Students, Applicants & Offer Holders

Hello. This forum is for the prestigious MSc in Advanced Mechanical Engineering at Imperial.
If current student please write about your experience in the course (people message you and would be helpful)
If applicant please write about your current course and university, as well as your predicted grades
If offer holder, CONGRATS, please write about your offer conditions
Reply 1
Original post by Houtouzou
Hello. This forum is for the prestigious MSc in Advanced Mechanical Engineering at Imperial.
If current student please write about your experience in the course (people message you and would be helpful)
If applicant please write about your current course and university, as well as your predicted grades

Hey, Applicant here, completed my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in 2021 from the National University of Sciences and Technology.
Applied to Imperial for the MSc AME program and submitted complete application on 16th March 2023. I would really appreciate a timeline of your application process and also wanted to know if their is an interview involved.
Reply 2
Original post by saadaftab98
Hey, Applicant here, completed my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in 2021 from the National University of Sciences and Technology.
Applied to Imperial for the MSc AME program and submitted complete application on 16th March 2023. I would really appreciate a timeline of your application process and also wanted to know if their is an interview involved.

Hello. I got accepted!! I submitted full application on 16th Jan and received the offer on 1st Feb. I hope this helps. Also, no there was not an interview. But I think there is a chance you will be invited for one, if they feel they will need to discuss with you upon deciding. But don’t take my word for it.

Is there somewhere I can find the degrees that previous successful applicants did? I've been offered a great opportunity which involves a degree in electronics engineering, but am unsure of if I'll want to pursue a mechanical engineering MSc after. I wouldn't have covered stuff like fluids or materials but I'm more interested in sustainability and electric vehicle technologies so would choose those type of modules. The entry requirements say a first in a science or engineering bachelors but I was wondering what the ratio of mechanical:non mechanical students is.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by user8937264980
Is there somewhere I can find the degrees that previous successful applicants did? I've been offered a great opportunity which involves a degree in electronics engineering, but am unsure of if I'll want to pursue a mechanical engineering MSc after. I wouldn't have covered stuff like fluids or materials but I'm more interested in sustainability and electric vehicle technologies so would choose those type of modules. The entry requirements say a first in a science or engineering bachelors but I was wondering what the ratio of mechanical:non mechanical students is.

Unfortunately I don’t know and I doubt there is any official way to find out. Realistically, I believe mechanical engineering students are more likely to be accepted because of the strong background and their knowledge on core mechanical engineering areas. However, this shouldn’t discourage you as the MSc is open to all degrees. I believe if you achieve a strong higher first (78+) and show engagement you will definitely be considered. You can also spend some of your free time learning Thermofluids because they are important, especially if you want to deal with energy and sustainability. But the MSc is very broad so there are other areas that you might be able to focus with an alternative BEng
Reply 5
Unfortunately I don’t know and I doubt there is any official way to find out. Realistically, I believe mechanical engineering students are more likely to be accepted because of the strong background and their knowledge on core mechanical engineering areas. However, this shouldn’t discourage you as the MSc is open to all degrees. I believe if you achieve a strong higher first (78+) and show engagement you will definitely be considered. You can also spend some of your free time learning Thermofluids because they are important, especially if you want to deal with energy and sustainability. But the MSc is very broad so there are other areas that you might be able to focus with an alternative BEng

Is that the grade that your offer was based on, a higher first 78%
Reply 6

If you could run me down from start to finish the process that would really be amazing. I am a third year student in mech eng and graduate in 2024. Id love to apply to imperial come October. For example what made you standout, is experience crucial (as I dont have any at the moment) and also if possible a structure that i could follow for my personal statement.
Many Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by mechengstu2
Is that the grade that your offer was based on, a higher first 78%

No, a bit less, but again, the offer is not the same for everyone. If your grades are very height already, the offer might be lower. But when your grades are not anything special, you might need to “prove” yourself with a higher (sometimes significantly higher) offer. This should also be the case if you come from a degree other than mechanical/aerospace engineering. Again, all this is my personal opinion based on discussions with other offer holders and I might be completely wrong. Best of luck
Reply 8
Original post by mechengstu2
If you could run me down from start to finish the process that would really be amazing. I am a third year student in mech eng and graduate in 2024. Id love to apply to imperial come October. For example what made you standout, is experience crucial (as I dont have any at the moment) and also if possible a structure that i could follow for my personal statement.
Many Thanks

You wanna private message me? Or even better give me your Instagram (once I message you delete your comment from the forum)
Reply 9
Unfortunately I don't have the private message option just yet, my Instagram handle has been here for over a day too. I don't feel comfortable leaving it on for so long lol.
If you could private message me on here that would be great, if not email?

Quick Reply

Latest