The Student Room Group

Ski trip pricing

Poll

How much could you realistically afford to spend on an Easter ski trip?

Pricing above includes: Transport, accommodation (self-catered), ski/snowboard and boot hire, lift pass.

Looks like interest for a 2014 ski trip is hotting up (or should it be cooling down?) so I thought I'd setup a poll to see what scale of trip we should be looking at.

We want to build a trip that is open to as many of you as possible, which means finding the right balance between price and quality.

We already know that if we do a trip it will have to be around Easter time so that means finding somewhere high up to get the best quality of snow. Val Thorens and the 3 Valees has been mentioned a few times.

It would be great to get your thoughts on potential resorts and where your price limit is.

Please don't just put the cheapest option, we'd love to be able to organise a trip for £200 but it's not realistic. If we know what you can actually afford we can structure the best trip accordingly.

We don't make money out of ticket sales, the little commission we do earn is used to cover our costs and do things like subsidise the group meal we had at the end of the last trip.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1

If options are as the '12 trip, if it was made clear that you can pay in installments rather than lump sum up front that would help encourage people.

4x payments of £125 that can be spread over 3 or 4 months sounds a hell of a lot better than one payment of £500.

Also, can you make it clear for the poll whether we're supposed to be including our own spending money as well as the base cost of the trip?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski

Also, can you make it clear for the poll whether we're supposed to be including our own spending money as well as the base cost of the trip?

I'm assuming "How much could you realistically afford to spend on an easter ski trip" isn't just "a hotel, ski hire, lift passes etc." and is, in fact, including everything.
Reply 3
Original post by XMaramena
I'm assuming "How much could you realistically afford to spend on an easter ski trip" isn't just "a hotel, ski hire, lift passes etc." and is, in fact, including everything.

I beg to differ since everyone has different needs and spending habits. It would really mess the whole target group spending limit thing up if someone could afford £700, but £250 of that was spending money on gifts and clothes, whereas someone else said they could afford £450 with £350 on the trip and £100 spending.

The core price of the trip, ie without spending money would make more sense since it gives a more accurate result.
Reply 4

I appreciate my point is a pedantic one, but as the above post says, interpretation is everything.

Further, having been on the first TSR ski trip, I know that the prices can vary depending on the package you want/require. As I'm in the position where I needed neither hire equipment nor lessons my package cost ~£250 less than that of other people. If I used the same guidelines for saying what I'm prepared to pay it would be unrealistic for people who would require those extras.
Reply 5
Then this all depends on what is included in the prices you've given. Self catering or all inclusive? Does it include any equipment hire? Flights and transfers? And so on...

So it's really hard to give a "how much will you spend" answer without any of this information.
Reply 6
If its going to be an easter ski trip realistically it shouldnt be breaking the 450-500 mark because of the late season timing, and because some like myself are probably going with others in january or early season.
Reply 7
Very interested in actually finally being able to go on the ski trip!

Destination matters when it comes to price so I highly recommend Poland. I went there before and not only are flights cheap but the accomodation and food it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Also, if we do decide on Poland, I'll happily be a translator!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Agata

Destination matters when it comes to price so I highly recommend Poland. I went there before and not only are flights cheap but the accomodation and food it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offence but Polands skiing is very poor in terms of quality and quantity compared to France/Austria/Switzerland. Anyway at that time of the year it shouldnt be too hard to get a decent price in said places.
Reply 10
K
OP
Original post by Drewski
If options are as the '12 trip, if it was made clear that you can pay in installments rather than lump sum up front that would help encourage people.

4x payments of £125 that can be spread over 3 or 4 months sounds a hell of a lot better than one payment of £500.

Original post by bestofyou
I beg to differ since everyone has different needs and spending habits. It would really mess the whole target group spending limit thing up if someone could afford £700, but £250 of that was spending money on gifts and clothes, whereas someone else said they could afford £450 with £350 on the trip and £100 spending.

The core price of the trip, ie without spending money would make more sense since it gives a more accurate result.

Then this all depends on what is included in the prices you've given. Self catering or all inclusive? Does it include any equipment hire? Flights and transfers? And so on...

So it's really hard to give a "how much will you spend" answer without any of this information.

Original post by incoqnito
If its going to be an easter ski trip realistically it shouldnt be breaking the 450-500 mark because of the late season timing, and because some like myself are probably going with others in january or early season.

Original post by Agata

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've updated the opening post to include pricing details..

"Pricing above includes: Transport, accommodation (self-catered), ski/snowboard and boot hire, lift pass."
Out of interest (forgive me if I missed this), but are we looking at it being 7 nights? Hopeful star rating?
Reply 12
K
OP
Out of interest (forgive me if I missed this), but are we looking at it being 7 nights? Hopeful star rating?

Going on past trips it would be 7-8 nights, usually basic 2/3 star accommodation of between 3-5 sharing
Original post by K
Pricing above includes: Transport, accommodation (self-catered), ski/snowboard and boot hire, lift pass.

Looks like interest for a 2014 ski trip is hotting up (or should it be cooling down?) so I thought I'd setup a poll to see what scale of trip we should be looking at.

We want to build a trip that is open to as many of you as possible, which means finding the right balance between price and quality.

We already know that if we do a trip it will have to be around Easter time so that means finding somewhere high up to get the best quality of snow. Val Thorens and the 3 Valees has been mentioned a few times.

It would be great to get your thoughts on potential resorts and where your price limit is.

Please don't just put the cheapest option, we'd love to be able to organise a trip for £200 but it's not realistic. If we know what you can actually afford we can structure the best trip accordingly.

We don't make money out of ticket sales, the little commission we do earn is used to cover our costs and do things like subsidise the group meal we had at the end of the last trip.

The Varsity ski trip is only 330 pounds this year - including transport, accommodation, lift pass and a few socials. Of course, ski hire and food would probably add another 150 - but some people would have their own skis or want to self-cater/ eat in really posh restaurants so it makes sense not to include these in the fixed price. There is also the option to upgrade your accommodation or transport options for a bit more money (I think 60 for a nicer room and 130 for flights rather than coach).
Realistically, therefore, I would expect a good student ski trip to come in at around 400-600 depending on how much individuals want to spend on luxuries/ optional extras.

Quick Reply

Latest