The Student Room Group

other course with a medicine personal s?

Hey :biggrin:

You know how medics have a 5th option of putting a non medical course, are they disadvantaged? For example if it is at a top uni which is already very popular will they be disadvantaged because they have to apply with a medicine personal statement and clearly the admissions will see their heart is set on medicine as opposed to someone who is apply with a statement that corresponds to the course.

I've been looking at old threads regarding 5th options such as pharamcy, optometry etc and there seems to be a mix of opinions

or do they recognise that you can only submit 1 so won't use it against you or will they think you are just using them as another option or possibly they may tell you to submit another personal statement which is specific to the course?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
bumperty bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Its not unheard of for people to get offers. Two examples from people I've met include an offer for Dentistry, and another for english at Cambridge.

I would wager applying somewhere expecting additional material beyond UCAS is more likely to work than somewhere that just looks at your UCAS form.
I got an offer for optometry in cardiff, I also know people who got offers from reading amd ucl for pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile
You may want to email the universities first and ask if they accept medicine personal statments

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Check out the department of cellular and molecular medicine at bristol. I'm a current student and there are quite a few who used it as their insurance when applying for medicine and ended up on the course. We also have a high proportion of people who go on to study graduate medicine and our 3rd year is shared with medical intercalaters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by 345rty
Its not unheard of for people to get offers. Two examples from people I've met include an offer for Dentistry, and another for english at Cambridge.

I would wager applying somewhere expecting additional material beyond UCAS is more likely to work than somewhere that just looks at your UCAS form.

they applied for medicine and was given an offer for dentistry - how strange

just wondering what do you mean by additional material

and thanks for the reply!
Reply 8
Original post by babychocolate
You may want to email the universities first and ask if they accept medicine personal statments

Posted from TSR Mobile

brilliant advice- thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by Emsies
Check out the department of cellular and molecular medicine at bristol. I'm a current student and there are quite a few who used it as their insurance when applying for medicine and ended up on the course. We also have a high proportion of people who go on to study graduate medicine and our 3rd year is shared with medical intercalaters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll check it out. Just wondering if ones plan isn't to go for postgrad medicine what do the people graduating from the course tend to go on to do in terms of career?
Reply 10
Original post by CasualSoul
they applied for medicine and was given an offer for dentistry - how strange

just wondering what do you mean by additional material

and thanks for the reply!

They applied for medicine and dentistry, I think the four options now restrict you more, back then you could apply for medicine and have dentistry as a back up.

Oxford and Cambridge back when I applied required additional forms beyond UCAS.
Reply 11
Original post by 345rty
They applied for medicine and dentistry, I think the four options now restrict you more, back then you could apply for medicine and have dentistry as a back up.

Oxford and Cambridge back when I applied required additional forms beyond UCAS.

oh wow ..gone are those days lol

oh right- I see!
Reply 12
Original post by CasualSoul
I'll check it out. Just wondering if ones plan isn't to go for postgrad medicine what do the people graduating from the course tend to go on to do in terms of career?

The majority go on to an unrelated job or further study, mostly PhDs. There are some pie charts on the department website of where they ended up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Emsies
The majority go on to an unrelated job or further study, mostly PhDs. There are some pie charts on the department website of where they ended up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right- thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending