The Student Room Group

Graduates moving abroad.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr_Vain
No. They expect you to have great academics and a lot of relevant experience. They are basically looking for a reason to reject you.

I'm half way through an internship application with a big4 and I have no relevant experience. In fact, very few of the 4,000 grads they take on each year have any related experience whatsoever.

You're applying too high my friend
Reply 21
Original post by Mr_Vain
Mate, i just want to stop you there, do you actually think our votes count for anything. You're living in a dreamworld if you think politicians actually listen.

It's because most people like multiculturalism. And yes they do listen, skilled migrants are being squeezed, as are international students - which is in fact causing the uk education sector to lose millions in fees at the expense of America/Australia/East Asian unis.
Reply 22
Original post by noone29
But you don't understand the competitive nature of AM/MC. You need to find the smallest companies and apply to them. The big ones won't take you if you're not a top uni grad. Go get a masters but moaning on here will get you nowhere. Those sectors are high in nepotism culture but it's not impossible to break in. Get a masters from Oxbridge and you'll have a good shot. Other than that, I'm not sure. The banks don't require specific AM experience tbh...

Oh right, so if i pay MORE money for another degree then maybe they will take me more seriously? Sorry, but i have lost my trust in the system. When i was applying for internships in university, they did not give me a chance. Now, the same.

Masters from Oxbridge? Requires a first. Apart from the MBA which costs £45k. Which also needs, yes, WORK EXPERIENCE!

I feel like I have been scammed into working and putting myself into debt for a RG2 Law degree in the false idea i would get a job at the end. I really regret just not being an absolute ******** in school instead of following rules like a chump. Sure, I would probably be working in some dead end job, except, i would not be in debt with no work at all!
Reply 23
Original post by Mr_Vain
Oh right, so if i pay MORE money for another degree then maybe they will take me more seriously? Sorry, but i have lost my trust in the system. When i was applying for internships in university, they did not give me a chance. Now, the same.

Masters from Oxbridge? Requires a first. Apart from the MBA which costs £45k. Which also needs, yes, WORK EXPERIENCE!

I feel like I have been scammed into working and putting myself into debt for a RG2 Law degree in the false idea i would get a job at the end. I really regret just not being an absolute ******** in school instead of following rules like a chump. Sure, I would probably be working in some dead end job, except, i would not be in debt with no work at all!

Law is a tough degree to sell tbh...it's so vocational that you don't do it unless you want to be a lawyer and when you don't you just come across as weak. whereas eng lit or history or even econ it's clear you didn't know what you wanted. Just go be a lawyer. Which firms are you aiming at may i ask?
Reply 24
Original post by noone29
I'm half way through an internship application with a big4 and I have no relevant experience. In fact, very few of the 4,000 grads they take on each year have any related experience whatsoever.

You're applying too high my friend

Wait, aren't you a graduate, are graduates even able to apply for internships? All they say is 'for penultimate year students'. And no, how am i applying too high? I am not exactly applying to Goldman Sachs. I am applying to the Big4 too and i got rejected from two.
Reply 25
Original post by noone29
Law is a tough degree to sell tbh...it's so vocational that you don't do it unless you want to be a lawyer and when you don't you just come across as weak. whereas eng lit or history or even econ it's clear you didn't know what you wanted. Just go be a lawyer. Which firms are you aiming at may i ask?

How? I got the grades these schemes need. I did it because it was the most prestigious sounding degree. I hated the subject but it is a lot more rigorous than lit or history. You can't just label a degree like that, it is not media.

And no, it was not vocational at all, if employers think that then they're imbeciles.
Original post by noone29

So , are you saying that those STEM degrees are easier to sell?

And, I was told jaw was a useful degree and can open many doors beyond practicing as a lawyer, just like History or Economics.

Just curious on your thoughts :smile:

Oh and what stage are you in your education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Mr_Vain
Wait, aren't you a graduate, are graduates even able to apply for internships? All they say is 'for penultimate year students'. And no, how am i applying too high? I am not exactly applying to Goldman Sachs. I am applying to the Big4 too and i got rejected from two.

No, I'm 2nd year lol so i shouldn't be speaking but graduate/undergrad doesn't make a difference, you're going for a scheme and im going for a placement.

Big4 is ridiculously competitive for consulting, you need to be solid on every test they give. the personality/strengths test is the hardest.

Your best bet is to qualify as an ACA and try and move across to MC/ER/AM - hopefully economy improves/learn cantonese and move to HK
Reply 28
Original post by hannah60000

And, I was told jaw was a useful degree and can open many doors beyond practicing as a lawyer, just like History or Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2nd year undergrad.

I don't buy that, I think Law is tough to sell. It sets you on a road and to come off it just looks like you've given up. If I were an employer, I'd question someone's motive for studying law but not to pursue it.

Others will undoubtedly come and bash me tomorrow but I'm saying what I think. None of us are employers on here so we're all entitled to an opinion.
Reply 29
Original post by hannah60000

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was what i was told by careers advisors and the law departments i applied to. Total lies, the amount of unemployed grads in the subject and in my own cohort are testament to this.
Whats Mr Vain going to do about this situation?

a) move abroad and get a job
b) stay where he is and complain about the UK on TSR

my money is on b)
Reply 31
Original post by Mr_Vain
How? I got the grades these schemes need. I did it because it was the most prestigious sounding degree. I hated the subject but it is a lot more rigorous than lit or history. You can't just label a degree like that, it is not media.

And no, it was not vocational at all, if employers think that then they're imbeciles.

Law is a vocational degree. I didn't say it was weak in itself but to switch paths from Law to AM/MC is very hard to sell. It's like going from Writing Poetry to wanting to become an engineer. Employers will look at your app and say 'hmmm, how do you go from Law to AM/MC...'
Reply 32
Original post by noone29
2nd year undergrad.

I don't buy that, I think Law is tough to sell. It sets you on a road and to come off it just looks like you've given up. If I were an employer, I'd question someone's motive for studying law but not to pursue it.

Others will undoubtedly come and bash me tomorrow but I'm saying what I think. None of us are employers on here so we're all entitled to an opinion.

How would it seem that way if i got the grades needed to become a lawyer? It is just discrimination. Yet, i wouldn't be surprised. This country has been fed to the ****ing dogs.
Reply 33
Original post by noone29
Law is a vocational degree. I didn't say it was weak in itself but to switch paths from Law to AM/MC is very hard to sell. It's like going from Writing Poetry to wanting to become an engineer. Employers will look at your app and say 'hmmm, how do you go from Law to AM/MC...'

Because people can't be expected to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives from 17/18.

If what you're saying is correct then uni depts should just say, don't study for this course if you want a job other than a law related one... because employers won't like it.

But hey, we were sold lies.
Original post by Alex.R
What experience are they looking for? Would a job in retail meet their requirements? How much experience is actually needed to land a job at a multi-national. I'm starting Uni this year and don't have a job yet you see.

Honestly. None.

You just need luck. I know many who get in without experience. Heck I have loads and I have been rejected by 2 so far.
Original post by Mr_Vain
Because people can't be expected to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives from 17/18.

If what you're saying is correct then uni depts should just say, don't study for this course if you want a job other than a law related one... because employers won't like it.

But hey, we were sold lies.

Most grad schemes ask for graduates from any dicipline.
Reply 36
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Whats Mr Vain going to do about this situation?

a) move abroad and get a job
b) stay where he is and complain about the UK on TSR

my money is on b)

I am honestly just going to collect dole money.
Reply 37
Original post by fat_hobbit
Most grad schemes ask for graduates from any dicipline.

It is just all a bunch of bull****. The problem is degrees, we are sold a product thinking it will get us somewhere. They are more than happy to take our money but not actually tell us the truth about the job market.

I wish I just started out from 18 after my A-Levels and tried to get a job back then. It would have saved me a lot of time, effort, and money.
Reply 38
Original post by Mr_Vain
It is just all a bunch of bull****. The problem is degrees, we are sold a product thinking it will get us somewhere. They are more than happy to take our money but not actually tell us the truth about the job market.

I wish I just started out from 18 after my A-Levels and tried to get a job back then. It would have saved me a lot of time, effort, and money.

So true, should start some rallies down in London.
Reply 39
Original post by noone29
So true, should start some rallies down in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hoj3lvNwLk

"It is not a vocational subject, it is an academic discipline"

Yet, i would not be surprised if employers have some complex about the subject and are discriminatory against it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending