The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi , can anyone please tell me that if you study diploma in law from university of London (international program) , where do you get you diploma after you complete it? In barbarian center?
Reply 21
The crux of the matter for me is, as stated above, if I can truthfully say that I've completed an "LSE" degree. Is this merely a half truth which I could consistently get away with in interviews if I wished, or is it something which I can honestly say?

I'm midway through a BSc International Relations with UoL/LSE and would love a response from either of the two on this.

The unfortunate truth for UoL is that they have no ranked academic reputation of their own - only the varying reputations of their constituent universities/colleges. If UoL make my qualification one step removed from the constituent university (in my case, LSE) by putting the UoL name front and centre, with some vague "in association with..." type text, then what assurance am I actually left with as to the true and/or perceived quality of my degree and level of displayed learning?

UoL need to let the schools' reputation speak for themselves and have their constituent universities stand behind the qualifications as truly their own. This is the only way that employers can judge the value of the degree you show them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Liaman
The crux of the matter for me is, as stated above, if I can truthfully say that I've completed an "LSE" degree. Is this merely a half truth which I could consistently get away with in interviews if I wished, or is it something which I can honestly say?

I'm midway through a BSc International Relations with UoL/LSE and would love a response from either of the two on this.

The unfortunate truth for UoL is that they have no ranked academic reputation of their own - only the varying reputations of their constituent universities/colleges. If UoL make my qualification one step removed from the constituent university (in my case, LSE) by putting the UoL name front and centre, with some vague "in association with..." type text, then what assurance am I actually left with as to the true and/or perceived quality of my degree and level of displayed learning?

UoL need to let the schools' reputation speak for themselves and have their constituent universities stand behind the qualifications as truly their own. This is the only way that employers can judge the value of the degree you show them.

Many of these questions were answered previously on the UoL sub-forum. Check out their Q&A thread over at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4547436
I'm not certain I understand the point you are trying to make. Stating that your degree/diploma was awarded by LSE if you studied through the international programme would be deceitful, fraudulent and -quite possibly- illegal. There is enough merit in studying the particular course you are studying and with this particular institution in itself.

I agree that -for having studied at one of UoL constituent universities - there is a clear difference between attending one of the former colleges and what UoLIP has to offer in terms of teaching support, pastoral care and peer contact (pretty much at the core of the online degree v brick-and-mortar degree debate). This is not to undermine the distance learning programme, as I too am undertaking one of their programmes. I strongly believe - and graduates success stories are a testament of that - that the academic rigour and expectations are very similar. To prove my point further, LSE does recognise UoLIP students: (1) by offering graduates and current students discount to attend their summer programmes and (2) provide more support than other programmes like the LLB (which I am studying). Graduates often go on to study MAs, MSc or MBAs at LSE or other universities in the UK or US.

"The unfortunate truth for UoL is that they have no ranked academic reputation of their own" - You are both correct and incorrect. Some will value the history, legacy and reputation of UoL, while some -like you- will value the environment in which a course is taught and the reputation of the individual colleges. It is perhaps true that UoL enjoys better recognition and reverence in coutries outside the UK (e.g. members of the Commonwealth), but I don't think employers in the UK would be dismissive of a degree awarded by UoL. Additionally, all graduates from the colleges also obtain a UoL diploma. So, employers must be familiar enough with the institution and the quality of graduates it produces - if that is a concern of yours.

You could say that I am biased because I am currently reading law with UoL and I chose UoL out of familiarity (and affordability!). But I hope the fact that many who studied or are currently studying with UoL also attended a RG university or recognised institutions outside the UK will provide some reassurance as to the "value" of the teaching and diploma you will receive.

At the end of the day, the onus is mostly on you and how well you can "sell" yourself during interviews. Don't put too much weight on hearsay, but do use feedback and comments from those in the industry/sector you seek to enter or progress in to inform how best to navigate it with the tools you have.

All the best in your studies!

Original post by Liaman

(edited 4 years ago)
Is the first attachment a genuine LSE Bachelor of Science (Economics) certificate? I am asking about this because I could not find the degree awarding date on it.
May I know since which year the word “external” has been removed from the degree certificate?
Reply 26
Original post by University of London International Programmes
Hi @SamahMussa, our Bachelors degrees are internationally recognised and many of our students do progress to further study with this qualification, either on campus or through distance learning. We would also suggest that you confirm with any institution you are interested in that they will recognise a University of London Bachelors degree for entry to postgraduate study/a Masters programme.

I hope this helps.

Emma

Hi there -
My understanding is that the UoL's member colleges do not provide academic references for their distance-learning students. So while it is theoretically possible to apply to PG courses after an undergraduate degree here, admission into one becomes a bit trickier - and funding / scholarship applications become altogether impossible (since these require a recent academic reference). Could you please confirm?
Thanks.
HI I have the same concern as above. If I study a DL masters degree from SOAS it says the certificate will be awarded by UOL. If I study one from Queens Mary University London it seems to have a different certificate in the end? Rankings of different member institutions of UOL are different though, so how can one differentiate their certificate awarded (by different UOL member institutions)? Put it simply, does it mean, all who are awarded University of London certificates are just those who study international programmes through distance learning?And if we were to publish journal articles, which affiliation should we refer to? Let's say if I enrol in a DL programme from SOAS, or one from Queens Mary, if the certificates are all awarded by UOL, then does it mean in the author's affiliation information I should fill out University of London? Or we still belong only to the specific member institution?
Reply 28
Hi lamlamo,Whilst certificates are awarded from different institutions with UoL as the awarding body, this is also true for on-campus students. I had a conversation a few months ago with the programme director for the Public Health distance learning MSc at LSHTM (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine - administrated via UoL, and the course can be found on both the LSHTM and the UoL websites), in advance of me applying for the course. I referenced negative experiences I'd had with LSE on a UoL distance programme and not feeling particularly
Firstly as an LSE alumni (MSc finance 2016) I believe that I can provide some insight in the conversation and let me start by saying you are 100% eligible to say that you went to LSE. The diploma you receive is the same that students used to receive on-campus until 2013. It will state university of London on top, followed by LSE, if you search diplomas until the early 10s you will see that they are 100% same. After that check the coursework for BSc economics for example, the coursework is completely identical (same courses, same years). You are properly recognised as an LSE student you attend graduation in LSE (I believe it’s called a meeting to celebrate ), you are eligible to transfer from the online to the on-campus degree in LSE either in Year 1 or year 2, you are eligible to attend the LSE General course, you get all the alumni discounts (for summer courses for example) and you are able to join student societies. In fact when I was in the PE society our secretary was from UOL-LSE. Last if you are on the deans list you will receive the honours in an LSE certificate mentioning the LSE deans list, every single communication regarding your degree comes only from LSE (application for RPL, letter of enrolment etc). You are a recognised member of the LSE community and this is why LSE is mentioned on your diploma (and why it costs more). In conclusion you are fully justified to say you went to LSE and you studied there for all the above reasons (it’s mentioned on your diploma for Gods sake) do not overanalyse a simple concept. I wish I have done this bachelors when I was considering it.
Reply 30
Original post by University of London International Programmes
Hi everyone,

Just to confirm, the word 'external' no longer appears on our degree certificates. When you complete your degree with the University of London International Programmes your award will consist of a Final Diploma and a Diploma Supplement. The Final Diploma will state that you have been awarded a University of London degree, diploma or certificate. It will also name the member institution of the University of London which provided the academic direction and include the University of London logo and signature of the Vice-Chancellor.

The Diploma Supplement indicates the nature, level and content of your completed study programme including modules taken, module grades and the overall degree classification. The Diploma Supplement also states the mode of study.

Hi,

The degree certificate I recently received is of a new design and is quite problematic in my opinion.

It no longer centrally displays the member institution's name at the top as per the example above and others I have seen. It also doesn't feature a signature from a chancellor/director of the member institution.

This further distances my qualification from the established good reputation of the member institution which assessed me to the same standard as if I was an on-campus student.

Despite what the University of London say - the academic reputation is that of the constituent universities/schools. These varying academic standards are what students are assessed to and they are the standards by which we as graduates are judged. My certificate basically looks like a fake now.
Original post by Liaman
Hi,

The degree certificate I recently received is of a new design and is quite problematic in my opinion.

It no longer centrally displays the member institution's name at the top as per the example above and others I have seen. It also doesn't feature a signature from a chancellor/director of the member institution.

This further distances my qualification from the established good reputation of the member institution which assessed me to the same standard as if I was an on-campus student.

Despite what the University of London say - the academic reputation is that of the constituent universities/schools. These varying academic standards are what students are assessed to and they are the standards by which we as graduates are judged. My certificate basically looks like a fake now.

Hello,
Just out of curiosity which was the member institution that designed the curriculum? I am asking because the above diplomas are for UoL-LSE only.
Reply 32
Original post by Mike1914
Hello,
Just out of curiosity which was the member institution that designed the curriculum? I am asking because the above diplomas are for UoL-LSE only.

Hi Mike,

It was LSE
Hi @Liaman, is there any chance you chould send an anonymized picture of your diploma here? It would be most helpful. Obviously, obscuring all personal details.Thanks in advance.
Reply 34
Original post by Jonathan419
Hi @Liaman, is there any chance you chould send an anonymized picture of your diploma here? It would be most helpful. Obviously, obscuring all personal details.Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've attached an image
Original post by Liaman
Hi, I've attached an image

Thanks so much man @Liaman
It actually looks really cool to me, but I understand that many in the UK will be confused why it says Uni of London and barely mentions LSE...

Did you do the online version, or with a recognised teaching center?

Also not sure if you'd be allowed to call yourself as having graduated from LSE... a bit unclear from googling around.
You cannot call yourself an LSE graduate, period. There is boldfaced disclaimer on the EMFSS LSE website and in the annual marketing materials that says… Students receive a University of London degree upon completion of their studies and not an LSE degree. They are members of the University of London and not the LSE. Participation in summer schools or on the General Course do not confer alumni status at the LSE..

Still, I think they are exceptional programs for students in emerging markets and for those shut out of elite universities in developed markets… but a BSc from the EMFSS program is simply not a mere online version of LSE. It’s something else that is very unique.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 37
Do you have the link to the page where it states "Students receive a University of London degree upon completion of their studies and not an LSE degree. They are members of the University of London and not the LSE. Participation in summer schools or on the General Course do not confer alumni status at the LSE"
Original post by plewisuc2007
You cannot call yourself an LSE graduate, period. There is boldfaced disclaimer on the EMFSS LSE website and in the annual marketing materials that says… Students receive a University of London degree upon completion of their studies and not an LSE degree. They are members of the University of London and not the LSE. Participation in summer schools or on the General Course do not confer alumni status at the LSE..

Still, I think they are exceptional programs for students in emerging markets and for those shut out of elite universities in developed markets… but a BSc from the EMFSS program is simply not a mere online version of LSE. It’s something else that is very unique.
Reply 38
I found some info on this site regarding the EMFSS degree being equivalent to the LSE degree. "...This is also why the final University of London degree awarded to an ISBF graduate bears LSE’s name, and is treated as equivalent to an LSE degree."
https://www.isbf.edu.in/about-us/london-school-of-economics/
LSE EMFSS International Programme is taught and assessed by LSE, almost all Modules, Courses, their content, and programme structure are the same like the ones taught on-campus, your application is reviewed and approved by LSE panel, you can switch from online to on-campus anytime during the first 2 years.

Note in the past LSE did not have right to award degrees and diplomas, so at that time LSE students used to be enrolled as "external" students at UoL and were awarded the degree from UoL after completing their studies at LSE.

so for me a graduate can safely and confidently say "I studied at LSE and my degree was awarded by UoL", nobody will think you are fraud!

It's here more political and economical than anything else, because you pay less fees.

However it's different story when you study online BSc Business Administration (direction from Royal Holloway) via Coursera, as it seems to me that the assessments are not done by Royal Holloway. But I here believe UoL reputation outweighs Royal Holloway.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending