Scroll to see replies

There's an Asda in Lancaster, they hace the best prices
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
do they deliver?

also do you guys tend to keep all your stuff (food wise) in the kitchen or do you keep some of it in your room so it don't get pinched.
Reply 3
ive heard that asda deliver (yey!!) dont know bout other supermarkets tho
Just go to asda not sainsbury's. There's a Spar on campus but I wouldn't buy all your shopping from there as they are expensive just everyday stuff like fruit, veg etc.
There's an asda, but it's practically in morecambe. There's an aldi but it's almost as far away as asda. Sainsburys is generally where i do my shopping, as it's across the road from the bus station. And campus has a spar, but that's what i use as a convenience store.
Oh Campus:
Central: near pendle, cartmel, lonsdale: good for bread, milk, chocolate.
Spar: near alexandra square: good for small amounts of groceries

In Town:
Somerfield: near bus station, very cheap but small range
Sainsburys: main student shopping destination as near bus station. Also free bus here every hour on Wednesdays.
Asda: cheap and massive store but far out and only reachable with a car.
Ahhhhhhh! Now i'm going to have to do all my shopping in Sainsbury's. I was looking forward to Asda's prices:biggrin:
simatemcprimate
Ahhhhhhh! Now i'm going to have to do all my shopping in Sainsbury's. I was looking forward to Asda's prices:biggrin:

you can get deliveries. works well if a few of you club together. Particulary good for drinks as these are very heavy to lug home on the bus and spar is rather pricey.
butterflytears
spar is rather pricey.

Yeah I know. I suppose they get a lot of business though as their position in the uni is convenient.
random_bloke
do they deliver?

also do you guys tend to keep all your stuff (food wise) in the kitchen or do you keep some of it in your room so it don't get pinched.

We keep everything (not just food wise!) in the kitchen, no one would steal anything. I guess you can tell after a while if people you live with are trustworthy though.
If you're in Grizedale it's unlikely you'll have enough room to keep all your food in the kitchen, but they give you a nice wooden storage box under your bed, which I've found most useful.

There's a bus that goes from the bus station right to ASDA (the 6A, I believe) and they're pretty regular, so as long as you don't buy too much that you then have to lug back to campus that can be worth doing.

The only thing I ever buy on campus is milk, because everything else has about a 30% mark-up on it. It's worth planning meals ahead of time so you don't have to go and spend £3 for some cheese.

And as far as spending money on food. Sometimes I can spend as little as £6 a week, and sometimes I can be stupid and spend £50. It all depends how much you plan your shopping and what budget you have to stick to. Don't panic if you're spending too much in your first few weeks, you'll get used to cutting down your costs in your own time.

..sorry for the essay, ha.
Phewwwwww!:smile: For a wgile there I was worried that you couldn't get to Asda from the uni without a car. Thanks and welcome to TSR :tsr2:
If you put together the price to get to Asda by bus with your shopping, it's probably the same as going to Sainsbury's on the free bus. And it takes a lot longer to get to Asda. It's only £5 delivery though so between loads of you, it's nothing.

I usually go to Somerfield and whatever I can't get there, I get at Sainsbury's. They're both right next to the bus station.
Reply 14
my nan's convinced i'm going to starve and hence is currently preparing what can only be described as an aid parcel of food...at the rate it's developing i'm unlikely to be needing any food shopping for the next 7 years...so that's the MA food budget covered nicely!!

x
Yeah, I used to just get the Sainsbury's free bus on Wednesdays, it's just more convenient considering the amount of stuff I used to buy... One time I had to enlist the help of two friends I bumped into outside of Sainsburys to lug my stuff to the bus station, I went a bit overboard with things. :p:

I did used to buy stuff from Central on my way back from lectures or on weekends when I fancied a pizza. It's not TOO pricey, but their stock is limited to mainly name brands, which is obviously more expensive. They tend to have offers on typical student things though, like pizza and supernoodles, which is always ace. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Retardchar
Yeah, I used to just get the Sainsbury's free bus on Wednesdays, it's just more convenient considering the amount of stuff I used to buy... One time I had to enlist the help of two friends I bumped into outside of Sainsburys to lug my stuff to the bus station, I went a bit overboard with things. :p:

I did used to buy stuff from Central on my way back from lectures or on weekends when I fancied a pizza. It's not TOO pricey, but their stock is limited to mainly name brands, which is obviously more expensive. They tend to have offers on typical student things though, like pizza and supernoodles, which is always ace. :biggrin:

ah I like the sound of the free bus lol! I have a Nectar card so hopefully that might save some pennies in the long run :wink:
Reply 17
Retardchar

I ventured down to Central once last year in search of new Pizzas after i got bored of the ones from Spar. They seemed to have nice stuff in there and a few decent offers, but I think i still prefer Spar cos they have a much wider selection and not just the main brands. Plus you can get a decent pizza in there for 99p :biggrin:
Reply 18
Last time i checked supermarkets only deliver to accommodation down in Alexandra Park (Lonsdale, Cartmel, etc). I need to check this though as it may have changed. If you take the free bus to sainsburys on the wednesday and then go to the bus station (right next to sainsburys) you can get a bus to asda for £1. That was a single because i shared a taxi back with some friends. A return to the bus station shouldn't be much more and then you can get the free bus back to uni.:smile:
Oh yeah, no doubt Spar has the wider range. I used to go in there when I wanted some Ben & Jerrys or some cake hahaha. :p: Spar = Great for treats!

Latest

Trending

Trending