The Student Room Group

Is there such a thing as a Computing degree?

Hi, I just wanted to ask if there is such a thing as a computing degree (not a CS degree). I am thinking of taking computing, maths, biology and chemistry for A level. I am not good at learning theory but I think that I will enjoy Computing as it sounds very interesting and there is lots of practical involved. I am taking the ICT AQA GCSE and there is not much information about computing (but some information about operating systems) so what would be the hardest part of the computing course? :wink:

Scroll to see replies

You've asked a few questions there, I'll do my best at picking them all out :P

Is there such a thing as a computing degree?

Not anything that actually has the name "computing". Computer Science is the closest degree you'll find to it, however, if you're looking for a degree based around computing that's more practical-intensive, some universities offer a Software Engineering degree. It's not as highly regarded as CS, but if you struggle with theory, it's worth looking into.

I'm taking the ICT GCSE

ICT and Computing seem similar, but really they have nothing at all in common apart from the fact they're taught in computer rooms.

What would be the hardest part of the computing course?

Really this depends on your exam board, because they all have slightly different syllabuses. If theory is what you find difficult, the hardest parts of the first year might be manipulation of binary numbers (depends how your maths is) or networking. There's loads of theory on hardware, which is just memorizing easy stuff like how a digital camera works.

I love my computing course, you do a lot of practical in the first year that isn't examined, basically teaching the class to code, but in the second year you do a massive project that's 40% of your grade. It's a lot of fun if you're into that kind of thing, just please don't think it'll be like your ICT course is :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by benplumley
You've asked a few questions there, I'll do my best at picking them all out :P

Not anything that actually has the name "computing". Computer Science is the closest degree you'll find to it, however, if you're looking for a degree based around computing that's more practical-intensive, some universities offer a Software Engineering degree. It's not as highly regarded as CS, but if you struggle with theory, it's worth looking into.

ICT and Computing seem similar, but really they have nothing at all in common apart from the fact they're taught in computer rooms.

Really this depends on your exam board, because they all have slightly different syllabuses. If theory is what you find difficult, the hardest parts of the first year might be manipulation of binary numbers (depends how your maths is) or networking. There's loads of theory on hardware, which is just memorizing easy stuff like how a digital camera works.

I love my computing course, you do a lot of practical in the first year that isn't examined, basically teaching the class to code, but in the second year you do a massive project that's 40% of your grade. It's a lot of fun if you're into that kind of thing, just please don't think it'll be like your ICT course is :tongue:

Thank you so much for your reply. I enjoy maths and I am average in my class (want to take it for A level). Apparently there is less theory in Computing than most A levels. I want to do the AQA computing. Is there lots of programming involved and how many projects and exams do you have at the end of the year? Is there also a textbook that you can recommend that explains everything very clearly? :smile:
Reply 3
There is CS, and the software engineering, which is not that highly regarded.
Tbf, there isn't much point doing programming I'd say, if they don't want any theory...

Posted from the TSR iPad app
Reply 4
Original post by Tuya
There is CS, and the software engineering, which is not that highly regarded.
Tbf, there isn't much point doing programming I'd say, if they don't want any theory...

Posted from the TSR iPad app

Why? is there a lot of theory and maths in CS? I thought Computing had more practical then theory (I am okay with learning basic information but when it comes to the more complex theory I find it more difficult)? Is Computing theory similar to ICT theory in any way? :frown:
Original post by SaraLandau
Thank you so much for your reply. I enjoy maths and I am average in my class (want to take it for A level). Apparently there is less theory in Computing than most A levels. I want to do the AQA computing. Is there lots of programming involved and how many projects and exams do you have at the end of the year? Is there also a textbook that you can recommend that explains everything very clearly? :smile:

AQA is my board too, you should be given a textbook by your college when you start (or at least when you start needing it). Saying it has less theory than "most A levels" is a bit vague, because something like Maths (and a lot of others) doesn't split up into theory/practical. The first year is mostly (70% ish) theory and the second year is 60%. You have to do two exams at the end of the first year, one is all theory and the other is half-and-half theory and practical, no project. The second year has one big project and two theory exams. You'll do a lot of programming in both years.
Reply 6
Not anything that actually has the name "computing".

One of the best CS departments in the country (Imperial) call it Computing, actually, as do quite a few other universities. Generally, there is no difference between Computer Science and Computing (or the BEng vs the BSci) but I'd advise OP to read the course summaries on websites of universities they're interested in, to check it's not a more vocational course.

Computing at A-Level is very similar to the first semester of a Computer Science degree anyway, the name is just that - a name.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Damask-
One of the best CS departments in the country (Imperial) call it Computing, actually, as do quite a few other universities. Generally, there is no difference between Computer Science and Computing (or the BEng vs the BSci) but I'd advise OP to read the course summaries on websites of universities they're interested in, to check it's not a more vocational course.

Computing at A-Level is very similar to the first semester of a Computer Science degree anyway, the name is just that - a name.

This is true, actually, I was only looking at the fifteen or so courses that I'm applying for, but the point is that whether it's called Computer Science or Computing, the course is identical.
Why are people saying Software Engineering is less regarded than CS?

Just wondering.
Original post by flown_muse
Why are people saying Software Engineering is less regarded than CS?

I suppose it's because the most "difficult" part of a CS degree is the maths, which is much less intensive in an SE degree. Also, I've been looking (out of curiosity) at graduate-level jobs - most say they accept CS graduates, some say they accept CS and SE graduates, but I've never seen one that says it will only accept SE graduates.
Reply 10
What are your thoughts on business computing systems? I guess it leans more towards finance, banking comparing it to a normal computing degree? City offers this course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
AQA is my board too, you should be given a textbook by your college when you start (or at least when you start needing it). Saying it has less theory than "most A levels" is a bit vague, because something like Maths (and a lot of others) doesn't split up into theory/practical. The first year is mostly (70% ish) theory and the second year is 60%. You have to do two exams at the end of the first year, one is all theory and the other is half-and-half theory and practical, no project. The second year has one big project and two theory exams. You'll do a lot of programming in both years.

What kind of project would it be... is the theory also very difficult (especially in the second year as I think maths will take up a some time)? How many programming languages do you learn? :confused:
Reply 12
Original post by Damask-

Do you need to have do Further Maths to understand the maths in uni?
What kind of project would it be... is the theory also very difficult (especially in the second year as I think maths will take up a some time)? How many programming languages do you learn? :confused:

The project can be on any topic, it's completely up to you.
The first year theory is quite easy (I got 92% on the theory exam) but I haven't done enough of the second year to comment on that yet.
I've learned two languages so far, that's probably all I'm going to learn in the A level. It's not really about learning languages, the idea is if you get the fundamentals then new languages are very easy to pick up.
I suppose it's because the most "difficult" part of a CS degree is the maths, which is much less intensive in an SE degree. Also, I've been looking (out of curiosity) at graduate-level jobs - most say they accept CS graduates, some say they accept CS and SE graduates, but I've never seen one that says it will only accept SE graduates.

That's really interesting. At my uni, the only difference between CS and SE is one module, which is compulsory for SE but not CS, so I've always wondered if I should get my degree in CS or SE. I guess it must be different in other universities.
Reply 15
Do you need to have do Further Maths to understand the maths in uni?

Not at all! It will definitely help, but is by no means essential. For some Computer Science degrees, you don't even need to have A-Level maths, you just take a maths catch-up alongside your degree modules to get you up to speed.
Reply 16
Original post by Damask-
Not at all! It will definitely help, but is by no means essential. For some Computer Science degrees, you don't even need to have A-Level maths, you just take a maths catch-up alongside your degree modules to get you up to speed.

Thank you for your comment. I want to get into a high uni as I think that I will enjoy computing (I looked at the textbook and it looks VERY interesting) but all the high universities prefer you to have maths (for example: to do CS in imperial you need to get an A* in the maths A level) so I think maths is very important.
Reply 17
The first year theory is quite easy (I got 92% on the theory exam) but I haven't done enough of the second year to comment on that yet.
I've learned two languages so far, that's probably all I'm going to learn in the A level. It's not really about learning languages, the idea is if you get the fundamentals then new languages are very easy to pick up.

Thank you for all the information you gave me. You make Computing sound really fun! Well done for your As level and good luck for your project and A2. Is the theory in A2 much more complex than in As level (is there lots of complex maths involved) ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Is the theory at A level similar to the ICT GCSE theory about networks, operating systems, software etc. Also does it require lots of maths and what so they focus on most of the time...
Is the theory at A level similar to the ICT GCSE theory about networks, operating systems, software etc. Also does it require lots of maths and what so they focus on most of the time...

I don't know, I never did a GCSE in ICT, but all those topics are covered in the A level, yes. The only part that requires maths is working with binary numbers, and most of the time is spent coding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending