The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge (yes, another one of these!)

Hey all!

I'll just give you the run down of my grades:

9.5 A*s, 1 A GCSE (RS short course)

A level:

Biology: 98.3% UMS
Physics: 98.7% UMS
Maths: 94.2% UMS
Chemistry: 93% UMS

I could have done soo much more work for Chemistry and Maths, but just ignored UMS and focused on getting the A* prediction (90%+ UMS) because I never thought of applying to Cambridge. (stupid me!)

So the way I see it, Ox put more emphasis on %A* GCSE - mine is pretty average
Cambridge put more emphasis on A level UMS - which is very good for 2 subjects, but below average for the rest.

And I've heard that Oxford rely alot more on interview, Cambridge slightly less so.

Although I prefer Oxford as a city, I am clearly biased as I never went to the Cambridge Open Day (I've never actually been to Camrbidge!). Ultimately, I don't mind much whichever I get into.

Realistically, i'd like two answers if you lovely people could provide them:

Which would I be more likely to get an offer from (assuming equal interview performance)

Should I even consider Oxbridge? (My other 3 are UKCAT heavy ones, and I had a very good UKCAT, 800+, so I feel like I have a safety net of sorts)

I understand that even getting 1 offer for medicine is tough and by no means am I confident in getting an offer this year.

Thanks to all you awesome people in advance!
1. It is difficult to say. I would guess Oxford marginally. Point is, I don't think there is a huge amount of different either way.

2. If you want to, yes.
Reply 2
****, you can apply to either and you stand a pretty good chance. Your average UMS is at the level of a successful Cambridge applicant and your GCSE's are above the Oxford average.

The BMAT will be your biggest obstacle, other than that, you application seems pretty amazing haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending