The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SuziieB
I'm not sure how the quote goes but...

"If you judge a fish by its ability to walk, it would always think it was a failure."

There's a reason why the richest people in the world usually didn't do so well at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you know what they are called? Deviations from the norm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Where's the 'application' in coursework? You learn the ideas in class, you apply them in an exam.:smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Arieisit
And you know what they are called? Deviations from the norm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you've got to agree that formal examinations do not work for everybody though. It simply doesn't. Our brains are not all wired the same way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I created a guide about two years ago, here it is;

the guide.png

Therefore to answer your question;

To the average person, ABB is 'good'.

To the average TSR'er, ABB is 'very bad'.

To the average Asian TSR'er, ABB is unheard of.

Hopefully this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by >Username<

I've been on this forum for a while and maybe these grades seem 'average'. But to me to achieve that it is exceptional. Well done. :smile: To even achieve a C at A-level is extremely hard.

get it together bruh

maybe in a couple of particularly hard a levels, but in most getting a C is piss easy in reality
Reply 85
Original post by Sagacious
I created a guide about two years ago, here it is;

the guide.png

Therefore to answer your question;

To the average person, ABB is 'good'.

To the average TSR'er, ABB is 'very bad'.

To the average Asian TSR'er, ABB is unheard of.

Hopefully this helps :smile:

Lol so you're saying that according to TSR I have just done "good". Nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Arieisit
You had a medical condition? Did you get A*A*A* at AS?

I hope you realise you can't get A* at AS.
Reply 87
Original post by HK786
I got into a A*AA course at a top 25 with ABB so I'm really happy about that.

really ?! How?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
So by being fair that makes it unfair on those who like the current system? I don't want to take BTECs, A Levels should give a well rounded grade.

How does it have less bias? Your whole argument seems to be "exams suit some people so there"

Even though I don't agree with a lot of what you've said, I understand how you feel, and it seems like everyone's ganging up on you, so I'm going to say you have made some very good points! :console:
Original post by SuziieB
I'm not sure how the quote goes but...

"If you judge a fish by its ability to walk, it would always think it was a failure."

There's a reason why the richest people in the world usually didn't do so well at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bill Gates, Harvard. Mark Zuckerberg, Harvard. Warren Buffet, Wharton Business Scool. Surprise surprise, top 3 richest men in the USA went to two of very best schools in the USA.

If you bring up Richard Branson or Lord Sugar like every other person I'm going to plant my face into a wall. :colonhash:
Reply 90
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Bill Gates, Harvard. Mark Zuckerberg, Harvard. Warren Buffet, Wharton Business Scool. Surprise surprise, top 3 richest men in the USA went to two of very best schools in the USA.

If you bring up Richard Branson or Lord Sugar like every other person I'm going to plant my face into a wall. :colonhash:

Well, go plant your face in a wall :tongue: because I am going to bring them up.

These people you mention probably have business acumen as well which A*'s at A level do not teach you. Good grades do not teach you common sense or guarantee any sort of success in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by SuziieB
Well, go plant your face in a wall :tongue: because I am going to bring them up.

These people you mention probably have business acumen as well which A*'s at A level do not teach you. Good grades do not teach you common sense or guarantee any sort of success in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But those are such rare occurrences, you shouldn't encourage them too much, very unlikely to happen and they become even less so as time goes on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by ElChapo
But those are such rare occurrences, you shouldn't encourage them too much, very unlikely to happen and they become even less so as time goes on

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said that they were common but just offering a beacon of hope for those who do not achieve those grades.

It is still very possible to be successful without amazing grades at a levels. We should always aim to try and aim for the best results, but sometimes our best doesn't seem good enough.

Actually they are not as rare as we think. What about billionaires from other countries? Most of them developed their business sense to good use. Even millionaires and billionaires from the UK and US, I would say quite a high percentage of them more or less failed at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trivial, but relevant, though you're clutching at straws. :p: No top firms hire grads without common sense, but nor do they high people off the street with just 'common sense'. Deal with the statistics. Also, good grades may not teach you, but certainly studying at a top university will make you for more able and competent than others, and no, not just academically, I assure you. :cool:
Original post by SuziieB
Actually they are not as rare as we think. What about billionaires from other countries? Most of them developed their business sense to good use. Even millionaires and billionaires from the UK and US, I would say quite a high percentage of them more or less failed at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, that's highly speculative conjecture. And secondly, you're wrong. :p:
Reply 95
Trivial, but relevant, though you're clutching at straws. :p: No top firms hire grads without common sense, but nor do they high people off the street with just 'common sense'. Deal with the statistics. Also, good grades may not teach you, but certainly studying at a top university will make you for more able and competent than others, and no, not just academically, I assure you. :cool:

Firstly, that's highly speculative conjecture. And secondly, you're wrong. :p:

Of course I'm aware that the odds are against you in this day and age if you have no degree seeing as every Tom, Dick and Harry now have one...

...but. As hard as it definitely might be, it is not the BE ALL END ALL. Right? No?

I'm working towards a degree myself after achieving A*AA so not speaking from experience but I do have friends who I regard as generally intelligent work much harder than me and who cannot achieve higher than a C at A level. Makes me question whether exams really are suited to everyone and whether it should be the standard to which everyone is judged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Of course I'm aware that the odds are against you in this day and age if you have no degree seeing as every Tom, Dick and Harry now have one...

...but. As hard as it definitely might be, it is not the BE ALL END ALL. Right? No?

I'm working towards a degree myself after achieving A*AA so not speaking from experience but I do have friends who I regard as generally intelligent work much harder than me and who cannot achieve higher than a C at A level. Makes me question whether exams really are suited to everyone and whether it should be the standard to which everyone is judged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it seems what we're both agreeing on is, God exists. :cool: Just kidding, seriously though, what we're agreeing on is, anything is possible. Fair enough. :p:

Oh well done! :smile: Well, to be honest, I think there are other factors to exams than just memory, nerves can play a role too. As Tyrion_Lannister says, it's great being able to give presentations etc. BUT, as the rest of us say, in this day and age of monotonous drone work with papers etc. what's more important, being able to regurgitate masses of meaningless crap to a strict deadline, or draw a colourful poster? Extreme I know, but you get my point, you decide. :p:
Reply 97
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I guess it's how you percieve it. I haven't studied maths past GCSE so I can't comment on whether it can be applied to real life or not but I find with most exams, they tend to be very hypothetical. Also they're great if your learning type is reading/writing, if you're kinaesthetic like me it's ridiculous. Go up give a presentation? FINE. Do a cool looking and informative piece of coursework? FINE. Go and do an exam? Lolno. That's what annoys me about exams.

To me they're a means to an end and it seems bizarre to fuss about little grades. But my boyfriend is the same as you to me it makes no sense :rofl: But he's also a perfectionist like it sounds like you are so I guess it depends on what you're like.

Learning styles don't exist. This video explains why better than I can.

[video="youtube;sIv9rz2NTUk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIv9rz2NTUk[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
They're decent
Reply 99
Better than most I'd say.

Latest