The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Optometry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Below my answer to the Optometry Open Day at City on another thread, tat may be of interest for City Optom applicants

(Original post by ___A___)
Has anyone been to an applicant day for City, how does it compare to the other unis?
Well I can tell you how it was at one of the Optometry Open Days at City 2 years ago..(not sure if it has changed since... )

You ll arrive late morning and there will be a presentation in a big lecture theatre from the Vice Chancellor, the Dean of the School of Health Sciences and from the Student Union about City Univesity in general. Its normally done with lots of other School of Health Sciences offer holders or candidates (nursing, radiography, speech therapy ...)
Then you have a 20min tour of the university campus/library etc in general then buffet lunch
In the afternoon its Optometry specific, presentation from the programme director. then you will do a tour of the Optometry department and have 3 mini fun demo/lecture from lecturers: one on Optics, another one in a Bio lab where you will do an eye dissection and then one in Clinical Skills lab where you will use a Slit Lamp to look at each others corneas... some students will be there to answer your questions as well...
Some candidates will have recruitment interviews as well (only for mature students or those with a non traditional background)

So it was like that in early 2012...
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 41
Hi all, I'm from Canada and have applied to optometry at city!
I was just wondering if they only take a certain amount of students each year and , if so, how many? Also, I was wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from unis in the UK.
Thanks much!
Reply 42
Original post by dcormier
Hi all, I'm from Canada and have applied to optometry at city!
I was just wondering if they only take a certain amount of students each year and , if so, how many? Also, I was wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from unis in the UK.
Thanks much!

I applied to.city a month ago. I'm still waiting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
It varies from person to person I got a response 5 days after I sent my Ucas . What are your grades?
Reply 44
Original post by Qari
I applied to.city a month ago. I'm still waiting

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be getting responses soon with the deadline coming up.
Reply 45
Original post by Sarahraza
You should be getting responses soon with the deadline coming up.

true have you heard back?
Reply 46
Yes I had early responses from my universities. I got into city for optometry and dispense. What are your grades?
Reply 47
Yes I had early responses from my universities. I got into city for optometry and dispense. What are your grades?

AAB ures? And where else have you applied

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Qari
AAB ures? And where else have you applied

Posted from TSR Mobile

Predicted: ABB
I applied to city twice and manchester, anglia ruskin and aston.
Got rejected by manchester and aston. Received offers from city and anglia ruskin.
What about you?
Reply 49
Predicted: ABB
I applied to city twice and manchester, anglia ruskin and aston.
Got rejected by manchester and aston. Received offers from city and anglia ruskin.
What about you?

I applied Bradford.Anglia,Cardiff, City
Got accepted at Bradford & Anglia.
Got rejected by Cardiff.
Accepted at Bradford for engineering as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Qari
I applied Bradford.Anglia,Cardiff, City
Got accepted at Bradford & Anglia.
Got rejected by Cardiff.
Accepted at Bradford for engineering as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

U applied twice at Bradford ? I'm hoping to go to Anglia Ruskin. It looks so cool!
Reply 51
U applied twice at Bradford ? I'm hoping to go to Anglia Ruskin. It looks so cool!

Yup why so shocked?
Not sure myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Qari
Yup why so shocked?
Not sure myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol a bit surprised that have u good grades and chose to apply twice at a bit of a lower university thas all.
Reply 53
Lol a bit surprised that have u good grades and chose to apply twice at a bit of a lower university thas all.

I applied for Optom & the backup/easy choice had to be at a university who did Optom. Bradford is the closest to me hence why I chose that. Wasn't sure the non optom unis would consider me with an Optom PS. Otherwise I'd have chosen Leeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Went to the offer holder today at City University London and have to say it was absolutely amazing, definitely putting that down as my firm. Only down side has to be is that I think I'm the only person that was there from Manchester but met some pretty decent people so hopefully it all goes well and I get the grades I need.

Anyone firmed City yet for optom and have they sorted out their student accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending