The Student Room Group

No support from family

Hi everyone I've got a little issue, my parents are very unhappy with my degree choice of chemistry and refuse to support me if I go to read it at university since they think its a waste and it wont get me anywhere. This hasn't put me off my degree since it is the one thing I enjoy the most and excel at :yep:

My question is that how can I get more grants and loans? Whereas others will have help from parents I'll be paying for everything myself and in the SFE details they calculate the grants & loans based on parents earning etc but this is irrelevant for me :lol:

Thanks for your help everyone :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can't. Unless you're classed as independent. (married, have a child, being self-supporting for 3 years, over 25, no contact with parents, etc)
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
You can't. Unless you're classed as independent. (married, have a child, being self-supporting for 3 years, over 25, no contact with parents, etc)

Cant he get a non-income assessed loan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Thisisthened
Hi everyone I've got a little issue, my parents are very unhappy with my degree choice of chemistry and refuse to support me if I go to read it at university since they think its a waste and it wont get me anywhere. This hasn't put me off my degree since it is the one thing I enjoy the most and excel at :yep:

My question is that how can I get more grants and loans? Whereas others will have help from parents I'll be paying for everything myself and in the SFE details they calculate the grants & loans based on parents earning etc but this is irrelevant for me :lol:

Thanks for your help everyone :redface:

Chemistry gets you into a lot of things.................maybe give your parents an idea of job prospect it can literally be from chemistry based work, pharmaceutical companies, energy firms to finance jobs.

The Job market has changed significantly since your parents time..........lots of jobs have opened up and accept people from all kinds of degrees. Chemistry is certainly one of those which offer a lot of prospects.
Reply 4
Original post by Agata
Cant he get a non-income assessed loan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes he can. But I think he was asking "if my parents don't support me, how do I get more loan and grant?"
Reply 5
Yes he can. But I think he was asking "if my parents don't support me, how do I get more loan and grant?"

Oh right because it seemed like he didnt know about non income assessed loans as he was talking about the calculator.

OP, youd have to take a non income assessed loan and pick up a part-time job while at uni. Maybe even take a gap year to save money. Only way tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Iqbal007
Chemistry gets you into a lot of things.................maybe give your parents an idea of job prospect it can literally be from chemistry based work, pharmaceutical companies, energy firms to finance jobs.

The Job market has changed significantly since your parents time..........lots of jobs have opened up and accept people from all kinds of degrees. Chemistry is certainly one of those which offer a lot of prospects.

I know it's got many opportunities especially if combined with a 1st or 2:1 at a degrre that has good links and has a strong grad fair :yep:

Some parents just don't understand and are fixated on 'professional' degrees which don't really interest me and I don't want to study.

Original post by Agata
Oh right because it seemed like he didnt know about non income assessed loans as he was talking about the calculator.

OP, youd have to take a non income assessed loan and pick up a part-time job while at uni. Maybe even take a gap year to save money. Only way tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see thanks a lot guys, I'm already on a gap year as I'm resiting due to circumstances outside of my power that caused some terrible A2 results :lol:

I'll try get into uni and forge my own path :h:
I know it's got many opportunities especially if combined with a 1st or 2:1 at a degrre that has good links and has a strong grad fair :yep:

Some parents just don't understand and are fixated on 'professional' degrees which don't really interest me and I don't want to study.

You should definitely try persuading your parents; get some stats on employability from Chemistry.

Out of interest, what degree did they want you to do that has better prospects than Chemistry? Medicine is the only one I can think of with significantly better prospects. :tongue:
Reply 8
Ive answered something like this before and it might help:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2468782

"I was in a similar problem. Student finance said to me that it must go off my parent wage. They also said its just unfortunate.

I managed to live off the minimum maintenance loan and income from a part time job. I managed to find somewhere with cheap rent. Maybe you could do the same. You will have to learn to budget and be careful.

The government says its the parents job to support their child but I know that some do not help with uni finance. Can you convince them to help?

More ideas:

Rent: You can look around renting private with friends or rent a room to lower the cost since some uni prices are £430 a month. Spare room web site is very good. Try Link:
http://www.spareroom.co.uk/?&aff=677...FQ1L3god7koAcg. You can save £140 a month by renting a room.
Food: Buy supermarket branded food like Morrison food products. Do not go for things like Heinz ketchup, go for By Sainsbury's ketchup.
Alcohole: pre-drink
Bank: Student bank accounts can offer overdrafts if you ever need it like £300. Best to cope without one first."
Reply 9
Original post by PythianLegume
You should definitely try persuading your parents; get some stats on employability from Chemistry.

Out of interest, what degree did they want you to do that has better prospects than Chemistry? Medicine is the only one I can think of with significantly better prospects. :tongue:

I will I haven't given up it's still early days at least now I have time to bring them round to it :redface:

Pharmacy, Optometry, Medicine, Dentistry. I find it quite annoying how they listen to others more than their own son :rolleyes:

Original post by GUT456
x

Thanks a lot for all that advice, I'll definitely be using the latter bit when I go uni if I'm unsupported :yep:

I just find it very very annoying how the middle people are never helped out. My parents earn ok money we're not well off but they said they'd give a few hundred for each semester to me, now it's not the case atm so fending for myself will be much harder yet the SFE wouldn't really care and so I'd be poorer than those students that are oprhans or parents are not earning :lol:
I will I haven't given up it's still early days at least now I have time to bring them round to it :redface:

Pharmacy, Optometry, Medicine, Dentistry. I find it quite annoying how they listen to others more than their own son :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for all that advice, I'll definitely be using the latter bit when I go uni if I'm unsupported :yep:

I just find it very very annoying how the middle people are never helped out. My parents earn ok money we're not well off but they said they'd give a few hundred for each semester to me, now it's not the case atm so fending for myself will be much harder yet the SFE wouldn't really care and so I'd be poorer than those students that are oprhans or parents are not earning :lol:

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Search/SubjectList/025/ReturnTo/Subjects/ByGroup
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Search/SubjectList/004%2c008/ReturnTo/Subjects/ByGroup

Click to show average salary after 6 months - show your parents that Chemistry graduates earn more than or the same as Pharmacy/Optometry graduates.
Reply 11
Original post by PythianLegume
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Search/SubjectList/025/ReturnTo/Subjects/ByGroup
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Search/SubjectList/004%2c008/ReturnTo/Subjects/ByGroup

Click to show average salary after 6 months - show your parents that Chemistry graduates earn more than or the same as Pharmacy/Optometry graduates.

Thanks a lot for those stats, I've looked at the chemistry ones before but never compared to optometry and pharmacy! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Just tell them that Maggie Thatcher was a chemist and she was the PM :wink: . Or maybe not .
Do you have plans of what you may like to do with your degree after uni? That may sway them.

There's some information here
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Alix-21
Just tell them that Maggie Thatcher was a chemist and she was the PM :wink: . Or maybe not .

Angela Merkel also has a Chemistry background. Seems if you want to be a powerful female politician, chemistry is the way to go.

Its true that the middle are worst off, but with a limited pot of money help has to go to those whose parents couldn't support them even if they wanted to

If you are not entitled to anything but the minimum loan and no grant at all your parents are on very good salaries and are in the top 5% of earners in the country. The "middle" you claim to be in is £29K a year and would qualify for a bigger loan and grant.
Reply 17
Just to confirm , are your parents saying they are not willing to declare income or just not willing to give you extra money ? Have you used the SF calculator to see what you are entitled to ? You have a year to get some work and save ,also you can get a student bank loan , Santander at the moment seems good . Also you should check the cost of living some areas can be so much cheaper than others .

I have never understood parents who are unwilling to support their son/daughter if they are able to , It's alien to me i would rather go without certain things than have my daughters struggle.
Reply 18
Original post by balotelli12
If you are not entitled to anything but the minimum loan and no grant at all your parents are on very good salaries and are in the top 5% of earners in the country. The "middle" you claim to be in is £29K a year and would qualify for a bigger loan and grant.

I don't want to fully disclose my parents salaries but my Mum doesn't work and my dad earns under £35k :redface:

Original post by Alix-21
Just to confirm , are your parents saying they are not willing to declare income or just not willing to give you extra money ? Have you used the SF calculator to see what you are entitled to ? You have a year to get some work and save ,also you can get a student bank loan , Santander at the moment seems good . Also you should check the cost of living some areas can be so much cheaper than others .

I have never understood parents who are unwilling to support their son/daughter if they are able to , It's alien to me i would rather go without certain things than have my daughters struggle.

They won't give me any money or give me money to purchase things since I will be moving out. This puts huge strain on me already as I don't have a laptop/pc or many other items required when you move out into university.

Their reasoning it's that it's a waste of money and I can go for it if I want but they won't support me doing such a 'rubbish' and 'dead end' degree :no:
You are then in the position of many students. You will get slightly more loan than minimum due to your dad 's income, maybe a tiny grant and you'll have to get a part time job. Thousands have done exactly the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending