The Student Room Group

Can students be excluded for tweeting about a teacher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yeah you can get excluded, which is a bit silly really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can happen, something similar happened at my secondary school.
Some guys at my school tweeted about another student. The got barred from the school prom and a restraining order. You got off lightly. Especially considering you actually made a comment. Three of the guys who got into trouble at my school only retweeted the original comment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smozsolution
Something similar happened at my school. On the day of Red Nose Day, people did the Harlem Shake on a table and while it was being filmed, the table broke. Over the weekend, it circulated around the internet and come Monday, anyone who shared it had to own up and take 6 hours of detention.

loooool thats funny!
OP, if I was the headmaster I would have expelled you without a chance of a comeback.

I would also have phoned your mum to make her delete your Twitter account.

Then again, I am a Muslim.
Reply 45
Original post by Rucksapps
Hey, so about a week ago, in a string of tweets which included the name of my school from the first tweet (I was asking if anybody knew what time we had to be in to help out for this open evening), a friend of mine posted a little joke about a teacher (including the name) and I elaborated further on his joke, with three words. However, it was purely intended as a bit of banter, nothing more.

The school brought me and my friend into an office today and told us that we were going to be excluded for a day for the comments made on the social media. They had a print screen of the tweets, found by typing the name of my school into the search bar...

Out of curiosity, is the school allowed to exclude a student, even if for only a day, for making a comment on a social network?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, why wouldn't they be able to? It's not so much you mentioned the school, but to mention the teacher by name is no different than bullying of a pupil. If you wrote to a newspaper and said "Mr X is a ****er" you'd get in trouble, so why wouldn't you on another form of media?
i dont do this stuff on twitter....i tell them what i think of them to their face, i have guts
Reply 47
Original post by keromedic
Just continuing on from this, could you be excluded from a VI form for making general statements about teachers/students or perhaps using pseudonyms on a blog/twitter?

Sixth forms are easier to exclude from, so yes they probably could. I think schools are more likely to take offence if it's just needless criticism, eg. Mr X is a humungo bellend, than if it's constructive.

Generally though just go through official channels, if they don't do anything you're free to leave and take the money received with you eg. given you're in Oldham you could join the Saddleworth lot and go to Greenhead.
Reply 48
OK, I'm not exactly proud of it, and I'm starting my letter of apology as we speak, but....
My friend wrote '[Teacher x] can suck a big fat... Lollipop'
To which I replied, 'or a penis...'...
It was just a bit of banter though lol, taken a bit too far.

that's not even funny... if your going to get yourself excluded, at least make it good!
Reply 49
From what I know/I've seen, senior staff in sixth forms or schools (6th forms mainly in my experience) are more likely to do something about a comment made about a teacher than sustained harassment or bullying of other students. I was once asked to write a sort-of report on what happened to me and in it I mentioned how a member of staff had promised certain things that she'd gone back on her word on (it was more of a commentary on how my sixth form had failed to deal with the issue than a personal attack in any way) and that same member of staff had a go at me and my mum about it then told me two years of harassment from other students was my own fault. And that wasn't even a comment made online, that was a comment put in a statement of what had happened that was supposed to go to a completely different member of staff.

Keromedic, sixth forms (especially those that are independent and don't belong to a school) are pretty much all about making money... and I was told that from someone in a high teaching position. They'll do what they can to keep up their image, even if that means punishing or silencing people who challenge them or even actually speak the truth about them.

Google the Hampstead Trash blog incident... certainly an interesting one.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
OP, if I was the headmaster I would have expelled you without a chance of a comeback.

I would also have phoned your mum to make her delete your Twitter account.

Then again, I am a Muslim.

Lol what has that got to do with it?!

Also, I thought you said to make Christianity a mandatory religion on a previous thread?
I think we're both as bad as each other haha, at the time of writing it, its seems like such a minor thing, yet as soon as one teacher sees it it's massively blown out of proportion... I was wrong for saying it but if I was a teacher, I reckon I'd react in a much cooler way. I wouldn't threaten to get the police involved lol... 21st century problems or what!...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ikr!! I mean it's worse in your case as the teacher saw it and freaked out (lol does he really think thats the worst people are going to say that about him, i cant believe he mentioned the police too) in my case some jealous girls in my maths class weren't happy that I stated a fact that they held me back. Some people are so thin-skinned xD
I guess. Most wouldn't but maybe they're trying to make an example of you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending