The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Goodricke college as I have firmed York to study computer science? Any help would be much appreciated
University of York
York
Original post by mrboombastic1234
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Goodricke college as I have firmed York to study computer science? Any help would be much appreciated

I have now just spent my first year living in Goodricke and can say that it a great college. Accommodation is great, and they have a good appreciation of the fun and varied side of university social life. They put on some of the biggest and greatest college events on campus successfully and I would say that that is their big plus.

But where they have room for improvement is regarding real college interaction, especially committee wise. The committee never really made a strong push to interact with the students they represented in the same way as other colleges, kind of pitching when the big events came round rather than helping on the smaller stuff. Having said that though its still brilliant, and far surpasses the support other university college committees provide, its only that when compared to other college committees at York they have room for improvement in this regard in my view.

I would suggest doing your research of all college sites, asking around and then thinking about how they compare to the needs of your degree. Also as I'm sure you now know, applying for accommodation can be a bit of a hassle, so coming up with a first and second college is a good tactic to ease the possible strain of application on the day.
Original post by The Lion
Someone asked me a similar question regarding accommodation. Unfortunately being a Law Student and knowing little to no midwifery students I suppose this is the only way I can help. So here goes, though you may already know some of this!

The closest college to the medical and midwifery schools is Alcuin College. It has a good reputation for a strong college community and accommodation, though of course the best accommodation is on Hes East. It like most other colleges maintains a rafter of events throughout the year and has a decent fresher's week, as well as a high proportion of science and medical students due to location. It is also in close proximity to the Library, Market Square and a large Cafe now connected to the medical department. The only criticism that they seem to have is in terms of its semi-isolation; the community though strong has a tendency to keep to themselves. This is down both to location but also the makeup of the students that inhabit the college.

All round though it is a very good college, and location wise if it suits you well then its worth considering strongly. A word of caution though is that you won't be the only one, York has a number of scientific students that will see Alcuin as a prime choice, and so I would suggest perhaps doing some extra research and having a second college in mind just in case. I suggest this regardless of which subject you aim to enter into.

Have a look at both the college website run by the community and by accommodation and read through reviews of the benefits and negatives of certain college's. The college's however tend to be differentiated on location, so its also worth checking a campus map, and finding out how far away your accommodation may be from your studies, or any other potential interests you may have!

Hey. Just a pointer.

Look into what college life you're after. If the pull of a new college community interests you Constantine College (I'm the current Vice -chair for Community) has dedicated housing to nursing and midwifery students.

Just thought I'd let you know :smile:
Studying law next year, like the look of Goodricke. Wise choice?
Original post by Conzy210
Studying law next year, like the look of Goodricke. Wise choice?

I'm current Law student.

Goodricke, Langwith and Constantine are all good choices for law.

Looking into what kind of college community feel you want, aside from the college proximity.

I'm Constantine Colleges' Vice Chair for Community so message me any questions,

Jack
Original post by Jogilvie1103
I'm current Law student.

Goodricke, Langwith and Constantine are all good choices for law.

Looking into what kind of college community feel you want, aside from the college proximity.

I'm Constantine Colleges' Vice Chair for Community so message me any questions,

Jack

Where do I find out what kind of community feel a college has?
Where do I find out what kind of community feel a college has?

Look on each college website and their student committee website. Best place to get a feel for how much stuff they do and what sorts of things they offer.
Look on each college website and their student committee website. Best place to get a feel for how much stuff they do and what sorts of things they offer.

Cheers mate, I'll give them a look now.

I'm just looking for a college that has plenty of people wanting nights out clubbing, at gigs etc as well as into playing some sport.
Cheers mate, I'll give them a look now.

I'm just looking for a college that has plenty of people wanting nights out clubbing, at gigs etc as well as into playing some sport.

I think most colleges you'll find people wanting to go clubbing.

Goodricke, Halifax and Derwent put on gig like festivals every year.

Most colleges do sport, Langwith and James are mode known for sports.

You probably won't mind much about Constantine yet becauae it's a new college and the websites haven't been fully completed (I'm currently building the new official website for Constantine)

What course are you doing?
I think most colleges you'll find people wanting to go clubbing.

Goodricke, Halifax and Derwent put on gig like festivals every year.

Most colleges do sport, Langwith and James are mode known for sports.

You probably won't mind much about Constantine yet becauae it's a new college and the websites haven't been fully completed (I'm currently building the new official website for Constantine)

What course are you doing?

Goodricke seems very decent.

And law.
Goodricke seems very decent.

And law.

Goodricke isn't bad for accom but the student committee needs improvement... I've friends from Goodricke this year who said that it was alright though, You should look into Constantine when we've released more info about it. I know the student committee website is going live this week :P I'm Vice-Chair for Community for Constantine.

Another Lawyer :P Awesome. I study law as well.
Goodricke isn't bad for accom but the student committee needs improvement... I've friends from Goodricke this year who said that it was alright though, You should look into Constantine when we've released more info about it. I know the student committee website is going live this week :P I'm Vice-Chair for Community for Constantine.

Another Lawyer :P Awesome. I study law as well.

Is Constantine not more expensive though? My budget is already stretched enough trying to accommodation on Hes East.

And ah great, how did you find the course?
Is Constantine not more expensive though? My budget is already stretched enough trying to accommodation on Hes East.

The accommodation is based on bands... Goodricke offer premium ensuite, and premium standard.... The room band price is standard across all accommodation in all colleges.

Constantine offer premium standard and deluxe Ensuite to undergraduates so if you went into premium standard in Constantine it be the same as premium standard in Constantine.

Deluxe Ensuite is £4 more per week than premium ensuite in goodricke.

So all depends what type of accommodation you want (basically do you want ensuite or shared bathroom (all Constantine shared bathrooms are ratio of 3:1)

I enjoyed year 1. Good content and some interesting topics covered. Pbl session are really good way to study and so I really get on well with my course. Looking forward to year 2 now. In year 2 and 3 you get to pick modules which is exciting
As someone who in undergrad shared a bathroom 6 to 1 toilet and shower and it was still bearable, I feel that since Constantine is on a 3:1 ratio it actually won't be at all as bad as people make it out to be (not getting ensuite that is).

Now I can't speak for what the ratios for students:bathrooms will be in other non-ensuite accommodation but I can say that it won't be better than 3:1.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
As someone who in undergrad shared a bathroom 6 to 1 toilet and shower and it was still bearable, I feel that since Constantine is on a 3:1 ratio it actually won't be at all as bad as people make it out to be (not getting ensuite that is).

Now I can't speak for what the ratios for students:bathrooms will be in other non-ensuite accommodation but I can say that it won't be better than 3:1.

Agreed. The 3:1 ratio bathroom is probably one of the best bathroom ratios in all colleges. I know Langwith is 4:1 in most standard accommodation... you'll be pushed to find 3:1 elsewhere.
Original post by The Lion
I have now just spent my first year living in Goodricke and can say that it a great college. Accommodation is great, and they have a good appreciation of the fun and varied side of university social life. They put on some of the biggest and greatest college events on campus successfully and I would say that that is their big plus.

But where they have room for improvement is regarding real college interaction, especially committee wise. The committee never really made a strong push to interact with the students they represented in the same way as other colleges, kind of pitching when the big events came round rather than helping on the smaller stuff. Having said that though its still brilliant, and far surpasses the support other university college committees provide, its only that when compared to other college committees at York they have room for improvement in this regard in my view.

I would suggest doing your research of all college sites, asking around and then thinking about how they compare to the needs of your degree. Also as I'm sure you now know, applying for accommodation can be a bit of a hassle, so coming up with a first and second college is a good tactic to ease the possible strain of application on the day.

This is my first post, and I am not sure where I direct my question about Goodricke. Sorry for asking in this thread, but you seem like a good person to ask. I will be living in Goodricke College accommodation this year. This may sound weird, but I am super sensitive to noise, and I was wondering if you could answer how thick the walls were of the different buildings at Goodricke? I am staying in Kenneth Dixon Court, do you have any idea if the walls are thin? I stayed in Wentworth (the newer blocks), and the walls were like paper, and the noise level drove me insane. I would REALLY appreciate if you could answer whether or not you Goodricke as a whole (or if you have any knowledge of Kenneth Dixon specifically) is relatively quiet.

I appreciate your time. Take care.
Children Children Children...

Constantine College's BRAND NEW WEBSITE is now live...

Ok, so it is looking a bit empty at the moment, but we're fleshing things out. Save the address and keep checking back as we update it with lots of exciting things relating to freshers' week, activities and events.

Oh, and I forgot to mention! We have forums on there... yep. Ask the welcome committee questions RIGHT ON THE SITE! OMG.
And we're working on a live chat as well...

Did I also plug that is is entirely mobile-friendly. Yeah, thats right! You can even access us on your phone. BAM! Didn't see that one coming did you.

Check us out now: http://www.constantinecollege.com/
hoping to be accepted to study film and tv production here and I'm not quite sure where to stay. The accommodation next door to the uni is in the middle of nowhere and i want a decent social life considering lectures will only be a few hours 2 or 3 times a week. I was looking at derwent for the social outlook on uni life. Would this be difficult to get to the film department? What do people recommend for film students???
Reply 1159
Original post by Mattbohun
hoping to be accepted to study film and tv production here and I'm not quite sure where to stay. The accommodation next door to the uni is in the middle of nowhere and i want a decent social life considering lectures will only be a few hours 2 or 3 times a week. I was looking at derwent for the social outlook on uni life. Would this be difficult to get to the film department? What do people recommend for film students???

Hey, iv been having the same problem here. Going for film and television but didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. What I've been thinking is would I rather have the 5 minute walk to an early lecture or do I mind getting a longer bus into town or a short trip to the main campus? Not being a morning person the choice seems pretty solid haha. Iv also been told by a friend who is currently at hes east that it isn't as quiet as it seems once you're in with all your flat mates.

Hope iv helped if only slightly haha.

Good luck with getting accepted :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending