The Student Room Group

How does anyone afford Film School?

Because I will be finishing my BA soon enough, I am looking at options for my Masters. I really want to go to Film School. Have looked at the various institutions in the UK and it looks like the NFTS & London Film School are the two best that we've got. Just one thing though. The London Film School has a MA in film making (2 years) and it will cost almost £50,000 in tuition! Among the information and links on the sites are details of loans and things that are available but they don't even begin to cover the tuition! How does anyone afford to go to these places!? Do I need to win the bloody lottery?
Reply 1
There's little or no funding for any Masters courses in the UK - it's not specifically that course.

Many people take out a CDL, although with a max of £10,000 that's unlikely to cover fees + living costs for any Masters on its own and it certainly won't help much with a Masters that costs £25,000 a year. It's that or work and save, or take loans from friends/family.

Unfortunately you've picked on a Masters which can obviously fill itself with people able to pay those fees. That's one of the problems with the top organisations/courses. If they're popular and attract high net worth students, then it's a seller's market. You might have to compromise and settle for somewhere with a lower overall reputation, if your pockets don't meet your aspirations.
Hi, University of Chichester , West Sussex, offer an MA in Film Production, its £8100 for their 18month course.
Original post by abstractfilmgeek
Because I will be finishing my BA soon enough, I am looking at options for my Masters. I really want to go to Film School. Have looked at the various institutions in the UK and it looks like the NFTS & London Film School are the two best that we've got. Just one thing though. The London Film School has a MA in film making (2 years) and it will cost almost £50,000 in tuition! Among the information and links on the sites are details of loans and things that are available but they don't even begin to cover the tuition! How does anyone afford to go to these places!? Do I need to win the bloody lottery?

Hi,

We have 3 different Creative & Digital Technologies masters courses including MA Film Production, MA Composing for FIlm, TV and Games & MA Screen Acting. All of our courses are £8,160 and will be held in our brand new Tech Park which hosts a 75 square-meter green screen stage for motion capture and chroma work, a three-storey high sound stage, professional recording studios and a post-production area consisting of nine MAC editing suites and a 'Soho' standard dubbing and masters suite.

We also have lecturers on hand such as Max Tyrie who did the 3D animation for films such as Kingsman and Spiderman 2 and Professor Stephen Baysted who scored the racing simulation game Project Cars 2.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask us!
Reply 4
Sounds like Chich may be the best bet! £50,000 for two years is crazy expensive, how do they get away with charging that?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending