Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

Sunderland Applicants (2014 start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sophieleannexo
How do you know your accommodation? Have you got an unconditional?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I applied to Sunderland last year accepted my offer but then deferred my place and took a year out I applied for accommodation last week and have been offered a contract at panns bank:smile::smile:
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
I applied for the Media, Culture and Communications course but went to the applicant day yesterday and realised it wasn't my thaang.
So I've phoned the uni and asked to switch to Magazine Journalism instead! Any other prospective journalism students here? :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by libbyaugust
I applied for the Media, Culture and Communications course but went to the applicant day yesterday and realised it wasn't my thaang.
So I've phoned the uni and asked to switch to Magazine Journalism instead! Any other prospective journalism students here? :smile:

Fashion Journalism!:smile:
Original post by ChaniBotz95
Fashion Journalism!:smile:

Ohh I know people who do that course and they seem to really enjoy it! :smile:
Is Sunderland your first choice?
Reply 84
Ohh I know people who do that course and they seem to really enjoy it! :smile:
Is Sunderland your first choice?

Oh what have they said about it? And yepp it is at the moment...although I haven't been there to check it out lol. The pics look good though. Is it your first choice?
Reply 85
Conditional offer for psychology! Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been assigned my accommodation. I'll be in Scotia Quay! They just need to confirm my room & flat number!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh what have they said about it? And yepp it is at the moment...although I haven't been there to check it out lol. The pics look good though. Is it your first choice?

They weren't saying a great deal about the course, they just seemed passionate about it. They did say it's the sort of thing in which you get out what you put in. Like there are opportunities available but you have to take them. But I guess that's the same with most courses really!

Yeah it's my first choice, I really like the uni. The city itself isn't the most charismatic though haha.
Reply 88
They weren't saying a great deal about the course, they just seemed passionate about it. They did say it's the sort of thing in which you get out what you put in. Like there are opportunities available but you have to take them. But I guess that's the same with most courses really!

Yeah it's my first choice, I really like the uni. The city itself isn't the most charismatic though haha.

Hmm funny you should say that actually, I've read a lot of negative reviews about the city and the uni itself..which gives me second thoughts about making it my firm choice..but it can't be that bad, right??

How do you mean by it not being 'charismatic'? Are people kinda anti-social over there or something? lol
Reply 89
Hmm funny you should say that actually, I've read a lot of negative reviews about the city and the uni itself..which gives me second thoughts about making it my firm choice..but it can't be that bad, right??

How do you mean by it not being 'charismatic'? Are people kinda anti-social over there or something? lol

No they aren't at all. Honestly, people around there are generally lovely and very friendly, always willing to help and chat with you. In my overall experience that is. However, as with any city and town there are the 'rough' groups of people unfortunately everybody seems to allow this to alter their view.
Reply 90
Original post by digbee
No they aren't at all. Honestly, people around there are generally lovely and very friendly, always willing to help and chat with you. In my overall experience that is. However, as with any city and town there are the 'rough' groups of people unfortunately everybody seems to allow this to alter their view.

Thanks for the information! :smile: These 'rough' groups .... are they mainly around the city or situated in the uni.....I've heard about break-ins and stuff in the residential halls .. is this true? Is it a common thing ?
Reply 91
Thanks for the information! :smile: These 'rough' groups .... are they mainly around the city or situated in the uni.....I've heard about break-ins and stuff in the residential halls .. is this true? Is it a common thing ?

No idea about the break ins (I'm not at the uni yet, just familiar with the area) but I do know that almost all accommodation sites (if not all) have 24/7 security guards and/or staff and I know The Forge is gated, these rougher groups will be in the rougher areas, Hendon needs to be avoided and they'll probably be hanging out around the pound shops in the city centre :rolleyes: the university is completely fine :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by digbee
No idea about the break ins (I'm not at the uni yet, just familiar with the area) but I do know that almost all accommodation sites (if not all) have 24/7 security guards and/or staff and I know The Forge is gated, these rougher groups will be in the rougher areas, Hendon needs to be avoided and they'll probably be hanging out around the pound shops in the city centre :rolleyes: the university is completely fine :smile:

I was at an open day for the uni yesterday and asked about the risk of break ins. They have security patrolling at night, and generally speaking if I were a thief I'd probably go elsewhere looking at the layout. The woman I spoke to from the office said she could count on one hand the number of times they'd been broken in to in her 20 years working there, and if we were broken in to contents insurance is included in the rent.

I went for a wander around the city center, and it was pretty much as I expected, it wasn't particularly impressive but everything was there as long as you aren't looking for high end boutiques. I didn't see anything I'd consider even remotely threatening, aside from being accosted outside a church of Scientology building and telling them to shove their leaflets where the sun doesn't shine.
Reply 93
Hello guys, I am new to the student room. I have put Sunderland as my firm to study Biomedical science in September. I am staying in The Forge, anyone else staying there? Or studying biomed? Would like to meet people before going! :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by Ramiren
I was at an open day for the uni yesterday and asked about the risk of break ins. They have security patrolling at night, and generally speaking if I were a thief I'd probably go elsewhere looking at the layout. The woman I spoke to from the office said she could count on one hand the number of times they'd been broken in to in her 20 years working there, and if we were broken in to contents insurance is included in the rent.

I went for a wander around the city center, and it was pretty much as I expected, it wasn't particularly impressive but everything was there as long as you aren't looking for high end boutiques. I didn't see anything I'd consider even remotely threatening, aside from being accosted outside a church of Scientology building and telling them to shove their leaflets where the sun doesn't shine.

Wow thanks that was really helpful! And about that church part....they just approached you out of nowhere being rude or what ?

And would you say the city is dull ? How about the university?
How would you describe it in a sentence just so I know what to expect when visiting.

Sorry for all the questions haha and thanks!
Reply 95
Original post by Thomas96
Hello guys, I am new to the student room. I have put Sunderland as my firm to study Biomedical science in September. I am staying in The Forge, anyone else staying there? Or studying biomed? Would like to meet people before going! :smile:

Hi! I was thinking about staying at The Forge if I choose to go to the Uni and I'm guessing you've checked out the accommodation..what's it like?

I'm goin to study fashion journalism btw :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
It is really modern and has excellent facilities, an added positive is that a lot of stuff (i.e cutlery/kitchen appliances) is provided for you.
Reply 97
Original post by Thomas96

I'm going to be staying at the Forge in flat 89 :smile:
Reply 98
Hi! I was thinking about staying at The Forge if I choose to go to the Uni and I'm guessing you've checked out the accommodation..what's it like?

I'm goin to study fashion journalism btw :smile:

Its really great from what I saw of it.. by far the most modern of the accommodation buildings and an on site bar and shop, fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher and very nice and modern facilities :smile:
Reply 99
The Forge sounds great, really considering it now. Thanks guys!

Is there a deadline btw?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending